How to Effectively Multi-Table in Online Poker

Helloween

Helloween

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love Jeff and his stream. I notice that he also does not play more than 5-6 tables. For me, this is the limit and increasing the amount is uncomfortable for me.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't play online cash games, so this article is really only theoretical for me. It all makes sense, and is logical to follow.

For my purposes, "multi tabling" refers to playing more than one MTT at a time. I have found some of my limits in this task. Straight up "how many tables can I play?": I think my maximum is three before success starts to tail off. If one of the tables goes to heads up, it will suck more of my time and attention. If there is inequity in the stakes, attention can also be diverted to one table over others. I regularly play four tables of MTTs at once, but my play is not optimal. As soon as two of three or four tables go heads up, I realize that I'm maxed out, or overwhelmed.

My biggest issue is playing multiple tables on multiple sites. As a CardsChat freeroll addict, I can regularly find myself playing four tourneys on three or four sites simultaneously. This is a disaster, but the solution is a better computer, not a change in game approach.

B

bigsmyle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends how good are u at reading the players and there moves and on your memory .

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Nice article.

Hmmm, playing on 1 table is kinda boring (for me, than I contol myself to not play on every hand :D ), 2 is great, 3 is wonderful, but 4 for me is terrible - maybe because for one monitor... :)

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have a hard time playing in many table because I can not concentrate.
If you were to play in multi-table at most 4 in desk and the right amount that fits on the screen

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank God I dont play poker for living or to pay my bills. Multitabling sucks out the fun of the game and adds stress the more tables you play. You just play robot style which I hate it.

I couldnt agree more with Jeff here. When you multitable you stick to solid preflop openings and generally playing the most "optimal" abc which takes the exploitation of opponents out of the game and leave you easily exploited to those who know you are multitabling. My opinion is that if you dont use a HUD and you are not familiar with optimal theory or have a solid strategy just dont play more than 2 tables.

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right now, I can really only handle two screens. But I think I could handle about 4 if I had a big enough screen. So, new goal. I am going to try to make enough money from poker between now and Black Friday to purchase a big screen.

For me, there are 3 main goals for online poker. One, get better at poker. Two, make enough money for a live bankroll. Three, have fun playing a game I enjoy.

So, I eventually plan on multitabling to help achieve the bankroll. I would think rake back would help with that. But also, sometimes playing single table to work on my game. I feel like league play helps with that. But, I would think that multi table play would somewhat coincide with how well someone can play when tired.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I play more than 2 tables I get confused and can't pay attention on the opponents.
I am starting to play poker so I hope in the future I will able to play more tables at the same time.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Article gives some good tips and explains the concepts of how to go about choosing number of table.

Everyone is different. You just have to try for yourself and see how many works for you. For beginners you should not go pass 2 or 3. It is more helpful to play this small amount as you will learn the game better and better create your strategy.

To effectively multi-table you must already have your strategy prepared for different times of a tourney, for different situations and for different players. A HUD is a must as well. It will collect the basic information when you are not concentrating on that table that will aid in decision making.

The structure and type of games dictate how many I could play. The smaller the max number of table seats the less time for decisions to come around to you. The turbo structure games action comes around quicker as well. Also Omaha games especially Omaha 8 game you need a little more time to make your decision and would affect how many tables you can play effectively.

I hate playing one table I get bored and try to win every hand and inevitably go broke. I try to play at least 4 tables. The max I play is 12, I do not go over that limit. But the 12 limit only applies if I am playing mostly 9 max mtt. If I am playing mostly 6 max games I stick to around 8 this is normally the case as I play a lot of 6 max Omaha 8 . For spin n gos which are 3 max hyper turbo I go as far 8 tables but I find that 4 is optimal most of the times.

One thing I find is it easier to multi-table on one site. When I play on 2-3 different sites at the same time I cannot optimally play the same amount of tables I would if it was on one site only. I can only go up to around 6-8 tables when multi-tabling on different sites.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great article! I do multi-tabling with 4 tables, sometimes I play 6 tables, but I know that is more complicate have real focus on tourneys when Im play more than 4 tournys at the same time and in the end on that way I cant pay attention to all tables, so for me the optimal amount to multi-tabling is play with no more than 4 tables.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Multi-tabling it is not a talent but it is a skill that we can prove by hard work and every day analyse of hands at your playing poker.Previous time I couldnt play more then 3 tables but then I started to use soft for hand analysis and now I can play 8-12 tables.But every player should have a poker aim to play many tables .

A

aboudogaO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You've seen the online beasts like ElKy and nanonoko multi-tabling 20+ tables on multiple screens; and then there are those like me, who can barely get by with two tables at once.

But just like everything in poker, there is a formula to determine not just if multi-tabling is right for you, but to help you decide just how many tables you should multi with to achieve max-profit. Of course you know CardsChat has the perfect guide to help you figure it all out:

Guide To Multi tabling In Poker

Let us know what you think! Will you use the formulas to expand on the number of games you play? Or will you stick with what's working for you?

Still not sure? Check out CardsChat Ambassador Jeff Gross as he talks about his view about multi-tabling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8GfDAzM0hs
i m still a beginner i never played more than 2tables . I like this thread it will help me move to next level

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a great article but Im trying to improve my game. So Ill stick to 1 table for now. I have occassionally tried to play 2. Then later when I review my hands I see lots of mistakes.

W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can barley jump between two tables let alone 20+. That's just wild to even hear, that people are trying to manage that many tables at once. Poker is meant to be a fun strategy game....not a lottery.