Crazy hands hitting online vs live

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been a live player for 20 years and it hasn't been bad for me, getting very good results in different tournaments, including WPT. To bring the game home, I decided to try it online since most players also play this game. I have tested on different websites and the bad beat statistics are so chilling that it is impossible to believe that it could be the result of chance or a bad streak. Faced with this reality that is repeated over and over again, I have totally lost faith in online poker.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You say you have never seen a big stack bias in the algorithm?

After my KK debacle I just went out with pocket Queens to pocket sevens - seven on the river. At least I cashed this time.

As regards higher stakes, I have already said I have no doubt higher stakes play pure because of the players and the technology at their disposal to track.

Seriously, you are going to stand on the fact you have never witnessed a big stack bias?

I've been trying to think of how to respond to this without sounding like a d1ck... & I can't.
Your post reeks of someone who has not played very much and of someone who might either think they are better than they are 'or' truly doesn't understand or accept variance.

Your example.. you describe losing an 80/20. Really????? This is 100% standard.

Did you see the bubble tonight of the wsop Main ($10k)?
QQ vs AK... aipf... totally standard - - a classic flip.
Til' the board went 777-'7' lol. (hey.. 'big'stack held AK... do ya think it might mean somethin'?)

I noticed you didn't answer the questions I posed in my previous response ... :(

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

It is an issue that is not going to help you to be a better player, you only dissipate your energy, you must concentrate on improving your game as much as you can and enjoy the game.

GI :ah4::ac4:

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have seen in a live game Quads beaten by a bigger set of Quads, so ridiculous hands do happen in real live games as well as on-line. I have been following some of the on-line streamers playing during the lockdown and even they have suffered some bad beats.
The one most important lesson I have learned from these Pros is that bad beats happen and if you stick to a plan of not risking your entire bankroll on a single game, good things can happen.
I play single table sit and go's and some days I can win virtually every game I register, then the day after I cannot win a single game, but this does not put me off playing them because I understand that bad days happen just as bad beats happen it is all part of the game and some days you will run red hot and other days stone cold dead.

That's Poker in all it's glory.
You're fully right.

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you are playing on a decently large site, they are not messing with the odds. This would be provable with statistical analysis of a large sample of hands, so if pokerstars did this, for example, they would be risking another black friday situation. It is more likely that the reason you see these odds events is because it is easier to put in larger volumes online.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I've been trying to think of how to respond to this without sounding like a d1ck... & I can't.
Your post reeks of someone who has not played very much and of someone who might either think they are better than they are 'or' truly doesn't understand or accept variance.

Did you see the bubble tonight of the WSOP Main ($10k)?
Til' the board went 777-'7' lol. (hey.. 'big'stack held AK... do ya think it might mean somethin'?)

I noticed you didn't answer the questions I posed in my previous response ... :(

I am not quite sure why, as someone who has not played much, or think I am better than I am, or does not understand variance why you are so bothered by me, or my observations.

I would have thought for someone with your 'experience' my opinion would not matter. I don't get it. Personally, I don't feel the need to compel anyone to agree with me.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Of course weird hands appear more frequently on-line than in live games, you only have to play long enough and you too might hit the magical "Royal Flush" WHY?
Because you are playing at a lot faster speed. Live Games and the blind levels might increase every 30/60 minutes depending on a lot of factors like starting stacks plus number of players etc. While on-line the blind increase could be anything from 5/10 minutes. so right from the start your hand per hour ratio increase's significantly.
How many times have you clicked the "fold" button option when it comes round to your turn to act or the Fold to any raise option? How many times have you seen a dealer turn a card by mistake when dealing (it Happens) and then have to deal the burn card to the affected player? All these things make a big difference.
In a live game I can be playing for 8/10 hours sometimes longer like 2/3 days. On-line I can play 8/10 games in a single sitting and I do not Multi table.
People are creatures of habit and the one biggest flaw they have is that they wear blinkers when it comes to their hole cards, the only thing they see is the power of their own hand they don't always think about hands that can beat them and sometimes the other player might be holding the "nuts"

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been a live player for 20 years and it hasn't been bad for me, getting very good results in different tournaments, including WPT. To bring the game home, I decided to try it online since most players also play this game. I have tested on different websites and the bad beat statistics are so chilling that it is impossible to believe that it could be the result of chance or a bad streak. Faced with this reality that is repeated over and over again, I have totally lost faith in online poker.

I never played live for a long run, but I have tried it, and yes, after that, the online won't make you remember for poker, most of the time. I agree with those, whose saying forgot the variance, as I see how the RNGs work it is almost does not matter what cards you have in your hands, and yes it is not entirely true, but basicallybecause of their software, RNG, whatever, even the deepstack tourneys are just gambling, like a slot machine, so I prefer to play micro turbos,hyper turbos, asthose tourneeys are generally for fun, for hobby players, and built on 'luck',gambling, at least i do not have to sit in a tourney for 6-8 hours and get the same resultlike in a turbo, hyper turbo after 1-2 hours... it is sick, but i must follow the dealt hands, the flops and count on that more than on the normal probability, variance, as the RNG, software works like this, obviouslyeven in long run the normal live poker variance threw out the window, after a year 4K tourney, countless hands i clearly see it,now i more effective in preflop allins with 89s and 78s than with AKs and AA what could be a simple joke, but it is not..... basically i prepare to relegate more than double up, if i get AKs or AA.... new normal,almost for a decade now, i see this tendency, beforeit was totally different, especially in smaller rooms, networks, what they already shut down....

I

iamKK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

People think live poker and online poker is very similar but the thing with online is you have to be very disciplined when you encounter bad beats and suck out. I am grinding at micro stakes and I saw that most of my money has been lost due to spewing off after a bad beat or tilt issue. I would recommend that you try to play at lower limits and control your tilt. And also I would encourage you to read “The Mental Game of Poker”, a great book to help you control your tilt issue and bad runs. Believe in yourself and put in the hard work then nothing can come in your way.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Happens waaay to often online!

B

bonart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Happens more often on 888.

It is a computerized board that generates specific patterns I suspect.
I try to dodge all the jam ins to stay in the tournament.

W

wstclair777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The craziest hand that I remember playing was live, not online. It was a home game and we were heads up and I was holding 5,5, we see a flop of 5,5,10:party: we get it all-in and my opponent turns over 10,10. The turn cards is :10s4: game over, good night. Luckily this was just a small-stakes home game.

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played online and live now for some time (18 yrs) and have noticed trends with online play which often concerns me; things i dont see playing live ever. Things such as chip leaders hitting a higher frequency of low probability hands, or quads + hitting all the time. Thoughts and experiences to share?

This is also a topic that comes up constantly because whoever is playing will sooner or later encounter the problem.
The fact is with the poker software can manipulate the outcome of the game. However, I can’t believe any poker room will do that.
My experience is that
in the room where you play too, a pair of aces often lose against cards like 2 7. I explain this by the fact that there are a lot of players playing here that's why there are lots of adventurer.
It is of coutse just my opinion.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. You have a valid concern. A recent example: early had 55, mp 77, lp kk. Flop was 57k. The lp was also the chip leader. The episode and mp busted out. Occured late in tourney.

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the way I always look at it that you play a lot more hands, in an hour you play roughly 150 hands an hour per zoom table. Live you'd what do about 30-40? Varience will always hit you eventually!

jj77jwj

jj77jwj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's happens all the time the other can have 58 of suit I have AK and go all in and he wins with a straight just flops right in he's favor I can see sometime but it happen all the time

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I agree with disagree, there are trash bads at online poker and so do at live poker. I already past the phase of believing online poker have some bad, even when someone calls you with 73s vs you holding a monster and they hit that flush even when you're holding one of they're naipe. Shit happens, but in the long run, you can still be profitable.

Learn with your own mistakes, and let the bads pass by.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
All-in runner runner flushes annoy me the most.
You can be playing perfect poker then run into these.
I've experienced them mostly on the larger sites...
It is the one single reason that makes me avoid any large monitory investment playing online poker tournaments.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think if you are playing on a decently large site, they are not messing with the odds. This would be provable with statistical analysis of a large sample of hands, so if pokerstars did this, for example, they would be risking another black friday situation. It is more likely that the reason you see these odds events is because it is easier to put in larger volumes online.
What odds are you talking about? Because not all odds are trackable by conventional methods. And nobody has access to every person's hole cards over a decent sample of tournaments except the site itself. Do you think everything gets audited? It doesn't. Do you think individual players can use their individual hand histories to keep track of whether or not there are discrepancies taking place over time with respect to the entire player pool? Not a chance. Everything looks normal when looking at hand frequencies and draw frequencies for individuals. Where it falls apart is the incidences and timings of draw vs. draw collisions. If you want to find the devil in the details, that is where he lives.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Well, I agree with disagree, there are trash bads at online poker and so do at live poker. I already past the phase of believing online poker have some bad, even when someone calls you with 73s vs you holding a monster and they hit that flush even when you're holding one of they're naipe. Shit happens, but in the long run, you can still be profitable.

Learn with your own mistakes, and let the bads pass by.
Are you profitable ?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

So basically the argument is, if it happened once on TV, it's okay that it happens over and over and over online. Got it. More hands played per minute online, therefore wave magic wand and it's okay that there are straights, flushes, full houses, etc. hitting almost every hand near the bubble.

M

maxmaster10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, it`s complicated to explain, but the odds are the same win or lose live than online

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker happens no matter what. When we're playing online we tend to play multiple tables at once and the games moves so much faster without real cards and chips. Just way more chances for things to get real.

D

DevaCat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To paraphrase Gary Player, the more I study the luckier I get.

The converse is also true imo- the players complaining about bad luck are the ones who haven't put in the requisite work to play well enough for whatever stakes they're at.

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

That was a crazy runout, right, but didn't it happened online? Hence the original post, of the online "algorithms" call for action flop. I do believe there is an algorithm, I don't believe it's set up to favor any player at any time. It might be predetermined who is getting what. The computer can do that. The computer CANNOT make thew action for you, so it's still the player choice of deciding the odds of getting sucked out (or mak it hit the flush or sight), so at the end this is still a game of math, making the right decisions, and luck. I always thought about poker (Well, not always, recently since I started to study the game a little bit) - poker is about making the best decision to give you "luck" the best chance.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands