Crazy hands hitting online vs live

P

pvenditto88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had some really disgusting beats online that never happened live for me.

L

Luqitazzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would have happened to you .. but the truth is that the one with the most chips has a more range of possibilities to play hands, just that.

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play mostly in MTT's. It also seems to me that "probability" is on the side of the chip leaders.

S

satishlearns

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Online Poker places

Hello! You may be very right, more than anything when I saw the room where you play. It was not to criticize this style, but what you say is true and for me it would have to reflect the real game. For hands of unlikely movies is the great "Rounders" film and its epic hand. Try other sites if you haven't done it yet.

This is my point of view does not have to be the reality. Everyone is free to think and expose their theories.

Can you share some good free/ small value poker places that are safe

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I play mostly in MTT's. It also seems to me that "probability" is on the side of the chip leaders.

Just two hands I know...but the issue is we all see this day in and out- and this literally made me laugh.

I just went out of a tourney (small one no biggie) with AK after the big stack went in against me with Q 4. He paired. As I was saying 'same old. same old' to myself the next hand played out and I watched as a player I was familiar with raise and the big stack re-raised him all in.

The cards turned and the player I recognized had KK...the big stack twit had 2 3. Of course a two on the flop and a three on the turn.

This aspect of online is endless.

B

Belgiumburnley

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats are endless. I went all-in with Aces and a guy called me with J 3 and he flopped trips :(

Daddysprincess99

Daddysprincess99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surviving the Algorithm

It would have happened to you .. but the truth is that the one with the most chips has a more range of possibilities to play hands, just that.

I agree with Luqitazz that being the chip leader affords more range. Whether or not the "random" algorithm of poker sites is skewed against chip leaders is unproven but it would make sense if they were to make the game more exciting and entice more players into a "hot" table.

It's hard to know for sure if the chip leader gets worse hands because that player normally makes it very expensive to see any of their hands!:mad:

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You see so many more hands playing online compared to live. With so many hands per hour being played you are going to see a lot more of the weird stuff.

Z

Stay Safe

J

Jackmagic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing to consider is one is a program the other is not. With an honest shuffle cards are truly random and no one can possibly know what they are (unless you're Kreskin). The computer has to know what to do to do something therefore the computer knows what the cards are. something to ponder

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The thing I have never understood when people argue you play more hands on line therefore the bad beats leave a greater impression. is why?

It feels more and more like a nonsense logic. If people were happy with online play why would they shy away from saying so? Why do people not come to forums to praise algorithms, and applaud the online experience?

It would appear only the opposite happens which strikes as very odd. It is then all too easy to claim those who question as 'losers' which is not necessarily the case.

As for big stack momentum - we all witness it day in and out in every tourney we play.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this ...
The players you are seeing comment here are typically newer, new'ish', bad, micro, super-micro, play chip, and 99% freerollers. It is very common/normal/typical for this demographic to say stuff like what you're reading here.
Try surveying the ones who used to be on P5's (back when forums were even popular & while it was in full swing... read the older posts on there & you will see loads of today's top players. In there you will not find any of them saying any of the stuff you'll read here or what you're suggesting (bigstack blah blah blah, etc.).
Try surveying the 100's, 1000's of players you'll see online in tournament lobbys. Of the ones who are regulars I would be willing to wager that 99% of them won't entertain the rigged belief stuff.

Have you thought about this?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
fwiw, the 'more hands played' is also b.s. You'll see the same ratio of stuff no matter how many hands you're playing... BUT... the thing is while online you'll find many players who don't gaf and will be playing atc's just for the fk of it. There's an anonymity to the game online (especially in the super micros, micros, freerolls, etc. but also you'll find a good number of Uber losers who play $22's + as well... just nowhere near as many of them). This will result in players having a high VPIP, playing carelessly, bad, like a maniac, etc. You'll clearly find many who enjoy sucking out and putting a bad beat on a player more than actually trying to play optimally.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So here is another classic...

It is the actual bubble when with a low stack, but safely in the money, I am dealt KK in the BB. As always, I am so distrustful of the algorithm I tell myself to fold - then (as I have noted before) I tell myself to not play this scared, that I cannot possibly get screwed over for the umpteenth time.

Everyone folds round to the small blind who is the big stack, he goes all in. I follow and he shows pocket nines. Yeah, guess what? Nine on the river for the big stack and I am out as bubble boy. I would say in disbelief but I called it and went in against my instinct and experience.

Seriously the idea you know you should fold kings in this position because you are about to get rogered makes me sick- but how many times does this have to happen before you comprehend you are playing against the algorithm as well as the other players.

This is why I can never take online poker seriously, or anyone who puts this all down to variance.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, anything can happen. More hands are played online, so the probability of oddities increases.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was playing a home game...in my garden house with 4 friends. I got to heads up...winner takes all...the princely sum of 25$.

it was late...beer and whiskey had been drunk...the air was thick with smoke...

i wake up to JJ...i open...i get called.

flop comes 99J..i am a happy monkey...i shove...and get snap called...

turn is K
river is K

my friend had KJ...everybody goes into a state of shock and the ambulance was duly called.

another friend says they folded the other K pre.

i think the odds are about 990 to 1.

Last edited:
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm not sure if you're aware of this ...
The players you are seeing comment here are typically newer, new'ish', bad, micro, super-micro, play chip, and 99% freerollers. It is very common/normal/typical for this demographic to say stuff like what you're reading here.
Try surveying the ones who used to be on P5's (back when forums were even popular & while it was in full swing... read the older posts on there & you will see loads of today's top players. In there you will not find any of them saying any of the stuff you'll read here or what you're suggesting (bigstack blah blah blah, etc.).
Try surveying the 100's, 1000's of players you'll see online in tournament lobbys. Of the ones who are regulars I would be willing to wager that 99% of them won't entertain the rigged belief stuff.

Have you thought about this?

See my last two posts. We have all witnessed/experienced this countless times.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So here is another classic...

It is the actual bubble when with a low stack, but safely in the money, I am dealt KK in the BB. As always, I am so distrustful of the algorithm I tell myself to fold - then (as I have noted before) I tell myself to not play this scared, that I cannot possibly get screwed over for the umpteenth time.

Everyone folds round to the small blind who is the big stack, he goes all in. I follow and he shows pocket nines. Yeah, guess what? Nine on the river for the big stack and I am out as bubble boy. I would say in disbelief but I called it and went in against my instinct and experience.

Seriously the idea you know you should fold kings in this position because you are about to get rogered makes me sick- but how many times does this have to happen before you comprehend you are playing against the algorithm as well as the other players.

This is why I can never take online poker seriously, or anyone who puts this all down to variance.

And honestly it is this kind of post by you that I can't take you seriously.
And when you suggest 'countless others'. DS3.. who are these countless others? They are exactly what I have described in my post.
Ask ANY of the guys who know what they're doing about this very same spot you've just described here. Try it. Try asking Ryan Laplante. Try Jason Koon. Try Evan Jarvis.
Then try even asking any of the micro stakes players on here who are 'winning' players.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very small online poker sites can pull a volume of weird hands , I doubt it but I can believe it.
I agree with the theory that playing online gives you like 10-20 times more hands since there is a clock to speed up the games. I play mainly at pokertars (low limits) so I dont get to see strange things, Maybe hight limits

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
And honestly it is this kind of post by you that I can't take you seriously.
And when you suggest 'countless others'. DS3.. who are these countless others? They are exactly what I have described in my post.
Ask ANY of the guys who know what they're doing about this very same spot you've just described here. Try it. Try asking Ryan Laplante. Try Jason Koon. Try Evan Jarvis.
Then try even asking any of the micro stakes players on here who are 'winning' players.

You say you have never seen a big stack bias in the algorithm?

After my KK debacle I just went out with pocket Queens to pocket sevens - seven on the river. At least I cashed this time.

As regards higher stakes, I have already said I have no doubt higher stakes play pure because of the players and the technology at their disposal to track.

Seriously, you are going to stand on the fact you have never witnessed a big stack bias?

94EXPOS

94EXPOS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry but I don't fall in to the Conspiracy Theory trap. Of course you see more hands online....100% fact. Even if the odds are astronomically high for a situation to happen, it can and will happen. Live, the craziest I have ever seen was a hand where on the flop, 3 players flopped sets to their pocket pairs...AA, KK, 88 and flop was AK8.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get aces all the time online. Not so much live but i have had em a couple times. And pocket 5s seem to be another good hand i get on both. Good luck.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You say you have never seen a big stack bias in the algorithm?

After my KK debacle I just went out with pocket Queens to pocket sevens - seven on the river. At least I cashed this time.

As regards higher stakes, I have already said I have no doubt higher stakes play pure because of the players and the technology at their disposal to track.

Seriously, you are going to stand on the fact you have never witnessed a big stack bias?

When you argue with Poker Orifice, realize that he has been doing this for years and years. It's always been the same argument: Why aren't all the winning players talking about it? Where is the evidence in the form of statistics over millions of hands? How does it work and why would a poker site do it? There's no point until you have a full understanding of what is going on and, at that point, why would you even bother explaining it to CardsChat?

No offense to Poker Orifice, by the way. I am just tired of reading the same material in different threads. I would love to see some real data like plots of players' EV performance in MTTs as a function of their stack sizes. But all anyone can produce is the same rehashed arguments over and over. It is like nobody wants to actually find an answer to the question.

As for higher stakes, they play exactly the same online. They don't play "pure". All you need is to watch any Sunday Millions final table replay. In fact, watch ANY high stakes replay online with hole cards up and you will see the same thing happens as in microstakes.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have done it again haven’t I?

Blasphemed in the Church of Online. Sorry, but it’s just not an altar I worship at.

I live in the real world where frauds small to gigantic are part of the fabric of corporate culture (estimated to be between 180 and 360 million in the US alone per annum). I will presume if online sites can now track whether as individual is using RTA their software can do a lot of subtle things down to a granular level.

The whole idea being not to leave an identifiable trace.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it really boils down to the fact that you get way more hands per hour online than live so you are bound to see more "unique" hands.

Hey Te...hope its goin well for ya on SwC...grats on winnin the tinyturbo the other day.

23---418

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

me... 77
fish...J7 off

flop...557

i check...fish bets...i call

turn...5

fish shoves...i call

river...5
!$#@%*&$$^%%#$%@$#!#%$$%&*^&(&*&(*^*&%&^$^%#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok...vent over....it only cost me a hundred bucks:reddy:

Last edited:
Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands