What is the best country to live and play poker (live and taxes)?

A

ALLRUS79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest I plan to move in the future and choose the best place for myself.
I am interested in a country with a mild climate, developed infrastructure and tax-free income for poker games?
My choice falls on Montenegro and Italy.
I am very interested in your opinion?
Many poker players changed their place of residence for this reason? Such as Daniel Negreanu.

What about you? Have you moved and changed your country?

Alex.

Last edited:
Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You are probably a professional player if you have decided to make such drastic changes in your life. I don't think I would change my place of residence, my country, for the sake of poker. Poker is a hobby for me, and my family will always come first for me.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you should be looking for 3 things:

1. No taxes on winnings from poker
2. As low living expenses as possible
3. As little regulations regarding poker sites on which you can play as possible.

Number 2 is generally in contrast with your desire to live in country with developed infrastructure. Better economy and higher standard of life generally mean also higher price of living, more taxes and more regulations.

To sum it up - if you want to earn as much money as possible from poker less developed country is your best bet. At least few years ago countries from southeast Asia were considered good choice for such task. Another option which is more like a compromise are countries from eastern europe which are members of EU. Prices here are lower than in western europe but you should check local regulations also. Here in Bulgaria for example there are no taxes for poker winnings but to compensate for that market is rather heavily regulated and most foreign site except pokerstars and bet365 are filtered by ISPs.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As far as I know poker and gambling winnings in the UK are tax free, even for professional players... :wink:

Losses aren't deductable though.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think you should be a poker professional and go around countries and see which one charges tax or not, in brazil they don't charge tax or a game

A

ALLRUS79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have a nice day!
I want to provide you a list of countries with tax-free income in poker.

Alex.

Attachments

• taxfreecountry2.jpg
    taxfreecountry2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 181
S

slothi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this question…..I am also curious for some recommended countries

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best country in my opinion is mexico, where there are cities for every taste.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Moving from canada to the US or vice versa as long as you're not moving to the french speaking places shouldn't be a big culture shock but moving to a place where you don't speak the language, that has political instability or doesn't have reliable internet or you're worried about getting robbed when you go out then that's not worth going anywhere for anything. A lot of us had to consider this when Black Friday came.

One thing that I would research is if your home country taxes any income that you earn while being outside of your home country. Like if you live in the US but decide to move to Brazil and win an online tourn or make money from playing poker cash games then you still have to pay US tax on that money although you earned it in the Brazil. You would have to research what type of tax treaty your home country has with the country you're living in also. I say this because if for some reason you decide to go back to your home country later on and haven't paid taxes in awhile then they might ask you why you haven't paid them and they might come after you. So be careful with that stuff.

The other thing I would consider is how your government looks at online poker if you're going that route. Some governments are kicking sites like Pstars out while others don't care so that's another thing I would look at. Even if you find a country that doesn't tax gambling winning but someone is looking to get rid of online poker then that country might be for you especially if they don't have a lot of live tables to play.

The last thing I would advise you on is to reevaluate your view on not paying taxes. I used to think they were a burden but when I step outside the US and see whats happening around the world and shake my head at the how some people live then I am grateful to sponsor programs that I know my taxes are helping. I know that's not what what most people think, they don't want to pay taxes so they can have more money for themselves but I see it as a trade off now.

A lot of countries have some type of retirement system or social programs that's based on how many years folks pay taxes and how much tax money they pay to the government but you won't get that much if you don't put money in. So if you don't pay taxes then you might be missing out on that later in life. Another thing to look at, I guess.

To be honest, if you're a consistent winner playing cards then I wouldn't worry about paying taxes to whatever country you live in.

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best idea of a country where to live to play poker, because the game is legal, would be Spain, because there the game is legal and there are no restrictions like in my country and in other countries where you have to avoid it because you run the risk of illicit gains, very unfortunate.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Canada is a beautiful friendly country with no taxes on poker winnings,
Sure it’s little bit cold in the winters but…
Cost of living is a bit high too but…

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Haven't paid any tax in about 20-30 years, not because of exemption but rather evasion!

Have been saving it all up and buying fireworks wholesale because I know of this underground tunnel under the Houses of Parliament and (and I should not tell you this [but am going to anyway]) the plan is to wheel all the fireworks underneath in a cart, light the fuse and then run like hell.

That's the plan, anyway.

Just deciding on a date... :deal::stupido2:

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
To be honest I plan to move in the future and choose the best place for myself.
I am interested in a country with a mild climate, developed infrastructure and tax-free income for poker games?
My choice falls on Montenegro and Italy.
I am very interested in your opinion?
Many poker players changed their place of residence for this reason? Such as Daniel Negreanu.

What about you? Have you moved and changed your country?

I want to provide you a list of countries with tax-free income in poker.

This list is actually missing some countries so ...
And if i would ever relocate because of poker i would probably go to somewhere where you can still access most online poker rooms one way or another (who have cc games) - i should imagine there arent too many countries out there answering to that criteria lol ...

C

CapdeCraniu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
O

odonob

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ireland also has tax free earnings for poker. You could always travel between the tax free countries mentioned.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello to all!
An interesting thread was written by a friend
As for me, if I won $ 1,000,000, then I would not bother how much tax was taken from me, I will not leave my country

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The UK is not just an ideal place for a professional player, but also the home of one of the largest online poker rooms in the world. Great Britain Players' Choice: London, which is an obvious choice not only for poker players, but also for fans of other gambling activities. The capital of England is visited by hundreds of thousands of tourists every day, and for good reason! Lots of beautiful places and cozy establishments, you will definitely not get bored here. In the UK, poker is classified as a gambling game. The most interesting thing is that winnings are completely exempt from tax. It is not surprising why Daniel Cates and Victor Blom decided to stay here. The high cost of living is compensated by the absolute absence of taxes on winnings.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello to all!
An interesting thread was written by a friend
As for me, if I won $ 1,000,000, then I would not bother how much tax was taken from me, I will not leave my country

Very bold. :)
If 95% of your winnings are taken away from you, won't you bother either?

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What a dream you not be taxed about your gambling winnings.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think you should be a poker professional and go around countries and see which one charges tax or not, in Brazil they don't charge tax or a game

Income tax liked your comment lol.

Of course, in Brazil there is a tax.

If you have an income above R$2300.00 (U$434.00) you are required to declare any amount received.

791a791

791a791

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
country to play poker

the united states is still the best country to play poker

M

mp3player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i was going to say canada where i am from there is no taxes on gambling or lottery. But very few people don't know this but if you gamble as a lively hood then they can do something but if you do this recreational there none.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
the united states is still the best country to play poker

Because you must pay taxes on winnings and are not allowed to play all big online rooms?

United States is probably indeed the best country in terms of LIVE poker ...
When it comes to online poker then both of you 2 countries are probably miles ahead of them

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think about moving to a permanent place of residence, then this is an expensive pleasure, but quite acceptable for a good winning player. I wonder if you are a professional? What is your nickname on Pokerstars? I'll look at you in sharkscope.A simple amateur would not think of moving to another country because of poker.

Organize a Home Poker Game