Poker as a job?

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Millions of people play poker and only a small number are able to make a living from it.
You need a day job until you can figure out where you stand.

T

Tigerchef

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play some other tournaments that arent freerolls. Its a lot different when you are playing with your own money

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am in line with the others, go back to collage or get a job.

Play poker as a hobby and get better of it.
Then if and when the money start flowing in, then think of quitting the job.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can consider poker as a job but if you're in another high level and feeling so comfortable and confident about yourself but for me studying and having a job is a necessity and have to be a priority .

supermoto

supermoto

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to take poker as a job the first thing is that you must have an inersion of 30k minino since playing free I do not think it's a good idea. there is a lot of history that a player with a free who won a real money tournament and won 10k 5k things like that but you do not see every day for me the free is a way to learn more about poker and have the opportunity to play one or another tournament without investing anything from my pocket pure reality. If you have the opportunity of a job, do not leave it for poker. You can dedicate the weekends to poker and work in the week and it is possible that you will be well in this world of lucky poker.

R

rafbam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most of the people here; I do think it would be incredebly stupid to think you can be a poker pro in short time.

What you need to do is get a good steddy job, and if you want, and can play poker beside youre job. But indeed BANKROLLMANAGEMENT is the first ting you need to study if you want to play with real monney.

Good luck and enjoy the game.

M

morsea10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Closest I ever came to being awesome was winning a freeroll.. that got me into a qualifier.. with got me into another qualifier... which got me into the Sunday Millions.. it was so weird.. I was at a table with Doyle Brunson's daughter... ended up in the money. but not alot.. like 400 bucks.. was still a great experience though. :)

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go to real job and play too ;)

You should go to real job and play poker too. If you you win more than you worked after two years You can try Quit the real job nad play poker for life :) . Pro poker player suggested if you want play poker for life You should had money for 6 months forward for life ( bill and food). I had real job -worked 6:00 AM - 2:00 PM and play poker 4:00 PM - 22:00 PM format MTT. My paycheck give me feeling safety. Decisions is Yours :)

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. The problem here is with the question itself. If you don't have a steady income other than poker, you will be playing scared. Having a girlfriend in the pot to be lost won't help in that department either. You might eventually be able to build a bankroll big enough to make it, but that won't happen if you are constantly pulling out money to live on. I am not saying kill the dream, but at least try to find something other than poker you enjoy doing that will support you.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker does not have to be the main job - it's fun and relaxation ....
I agree with the people who said above - the girl is more important and better than poker)))
:icon_joke

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker can be taken as a job as long as we have discipline and responsibility

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
guy, do not deal with garbage, maybe you can make money in poker, but your chance is equal to the percentage of a royal flush falling out in one day. So go and look for a normal job, and leave poker as a hobby, otherwise you'll go crazy, since poker is a ****ing bingo.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah probably not real smart

C

CryptoBlood

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will just advice you to listen your girl and find a new job but I prefer you to play poker also,just for training and if you are pro then work on your job and play poker,dont leave job.In poker even best players sometimes bust.

J

j t

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you are being unrealistic. Slow down keep playing.

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 months t0 short time plus freerolls are not the best poker gauge plus a job is better for the peace of mind

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Suggestion: Learn more about the game and talk with your girlfriend and explain how important you feel this is for you to try to do. Set a plan and follow your plan and if you fail try again or do something else. Life is to short to not do what you love to do.
Go for it.

B

BeiMoh420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd love to quit my job playing poker. However, I'm just now there yet. Hopefully CardsChat will help me develop my skills to become a professional one day.

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wonder the same things....if i could just play as a job.....but then i suck and am down to much money to think that anymore....lo

R

roci

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Покерът не възпрепятства работата и работата не пречи на покера

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While it IS possible to get rich playing poker, it's also pretty unlikely. You are more likely to be able to grind out a decent living if you work hard enough and play often enough to get good enough to beat your opponents on a regular basis. There is even more variance in playing tournament poker, and it can take years before you'll be able to support yourself and make enough money to "get rich." The current poker economy, especially online, makes it pretty hard for newcomers to the game. But you can certainly make some money if you apply yourself. Might be worth considering a part time job while you learn?

soccer1996

soccer1996

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
for me personally, poker is like extra money,I can't quit my job for poker. maybe because I'm not a professional player.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First you have to start as a hooby, then it becomes a profitable hobby. Only after that you can think about living poker.

R

RunoMont

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your life your trial

I dropped out of college. It wasn't for me even tho I got good grades. Ive studied poker for the last two months. I got first place in a couple of freerolls. My girlfriend wants me to get a real job. Ive only played in MTT's. Am I crazy or is it really possible to get rich playing poker. People think Im crazy. Am I being unrealistic?

unless you have kids and need to keep a steady income because they depend on you, I support the fact that you need to finish what you have started. a degree of some sort is important as a backup for employment. there are some decisions you have to make thinking only about yourself. life is yours. Most poker champions never knew their capabilities until they had their mind to it and tried it. Give yourself a set of goals to achieve in a given time-frame. if you don't succeed after some time, remember that there is only so much you can loose before your life goes away in between your fingers. it doesn't mean you have to then quit for good. learn your mistakes, reorganize your game strategy, rebuild your bankroll, find some other time and retry. as long and you don't let your life slip away... support is important as well.