Poker as a job?

Jane Franklin

Jane Franklin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks like you gonna bet "All in" with pocket 33... Not so bad, but not extra smart and risky. You will lose yr poker job if you will lose yr bankroll. If you will be able to finish education, you 'll get a chance to find a normal job for making yr bankroll ;))

Don t be naive. Poker is a very competitive industry. Big money can make people with big buy-ins and with big bulls and with big experience

The advice for you is playing poker as a hobby first
After yr big results (freerolls are not, I won 8 times during the 2 months, even 1of them was in Omaha and it was my first Omaha experience), you can go higher

Don t be crazy, bro

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without doubt poker is a job. But you need a lot of study and earnings that prove that you can live with it. You need to have responsibility and an alternative source of income that will sustain you until the poker money is enough to pay the bills. this will require a lot of study and dedication. The best way to have the support of the family is to pay your own bills and buying your things with the poker money, yes they will not bother you

R

Rufun2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you will never make as much money as a college degree will give you.....

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not recommend taking that road to anyone, it's a very difficult road and the worst thing is that you do not even have a 50% chance of success ... you can play 3 years 24 hours and see yourself one day without money .. I think there are a profile of people who are minutes to take that risk: people who have reached professional level in a game of shooter or fighting, chess could also serve, but you really have to be a little crazy to take this path of poker .. we've all thought about that after winning a tournament or after having a good week in cashgames .. but in the long term you realize that poker is an illusion and that you can not focus your life on it, the psychological damage that can producing not winning often is something that not all people are prepared to endure .. being a competitive player in other games can help you withstand the road as it is very similar, that stage where you are a ****ing noob and over time you see you play with the best can be comparable but poker has the great defect of being a game where chance intervenes and that rather than play someone with much less level and with worse cards you can defeat easily .. I recommend that you take those ideas of your head and that you look for something that guarantees you to have money after 3 to 5 years of dedication ..

I would not recommend taking that road to anyone, it's a very difficult road and the worst thing is that you do not even have a 50% chance of success ... you can play 3 years 24 hours and see yourself one day without money .. I think there are a profile of people who are minutes to take that risk: people who have reached professional level in a game of shooter or fighting, chess could also serve, but you really have to be a little crazy to take this path of poker .. we've all thought about that after winning a tournament or after having a good week in cashgames .. but in the long term you realize that poker is an illusion and that you can not focus your life on it, the psychological damage that can producing not winning often is something that not all people are prepared to endure .. being a competitive player in other games can help you withstand the road as it is very similar, that stage where you are a ****ing noob and over time you see you play with the best can be comparable but poker has the great defect of being a game where chance intervenes and that rather than play someone with much less level and with worse cards you can defeat easily .. I recommend that you take those ideas of your head and that you look for something that guarantees you to have money after 3 to 5 years of dedication ..

After you find something stable for your life thinking about being a winner, you can dedicate time to poker .. in case you are very good you will realize in 2 years not before .. you can try to generate money but base your life on a Unstable game is not an intelligent decision. Having said that, I think that learning to play poker professionally is essential.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker isn't a profession until it can pay you like a real job can. Most successful players don't reach that status until they've climbed up through NL200-NL400 and above. Splitsuit and many other pros recommend that anyone attempting to make Poker their income should make certain preparations first. Such as: Having 6 Months of living expenses and savings ready in the bank to live off. A Professional Bankroll of at least 100 Buyins for which ever limit you're at. This is to protect you from the inevitable downswings which are part of the reality of Poker. If your net bb/100 is less than minimum wage then it's not a job yet. If you're playing at the micros or mid stakes (Below NL100) then you can forget calling it a career. If your winrate is still greater than 3-5bb/100 after you've climbed up the limits and your bankroll is at least $20,000 then you can maybe start planning to leave a job. Until then, it's a dreamworld. And don't get me wrong I'm not against the dream. It's just important for people to remain alert and realistic about Poker.

charlesdenis

charlesdenis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really does make a lot of money to play poker, but it's not easy at all, I think dropping the college for this is silly, but if college was not working, fine, you gotta run after what's good for you. game for 2 years and I still can not live poker.

J

Joey1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great dream. Work on it and keep your job and girl for now. There are a lot of great sites on line for upping your game. You don't want to quit your job based on freerolls, but I am guessing you know that.
Jbotman:)

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I wish you the very best too. I'm just trying to give you all sides of the dice.

R

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most poker players have a job, capital, family. That is, if poker is earnings, then only additional. It is very difficult and risky to make poker a work and a means of existence. Such who can do it.

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heh, if you are lucky and got wsop bracelet and money like 500K then go for it.
It’s totally random, some win and some lose. Yes they are very skill but not online. You are totally Be Patient, time and at least 5-10K start out. Good luck man.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
This is a brave act and this is your decision deserves to be respected. I would also like to make poker its main activity. My goal is to earn at least $ 100 a day playing poker. :icon_flow

daco111

daco111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I though about this before. The most important thing for playing poker as a job is BRM and hard discipline.

R

RounderRob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a rollercoaster with the daily grind. If your going to do it you must be very disciplined with your bankroll ;)

B

BeiMoh420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dropped out of college. It wasn't for me even tho I got good grades. Ive studied poker for the last two months. I got first place in a couple of freerolls. My girlfriend wants me to get a real job. Ive only played in MTT's. Am I crazy or is it really possible to get rich playing poker. People think Im crazy. Am I being unrealistic?

You've only studied poker for the last two months? What makes you think you can become a professional? The freerolls you've won or is there more to it? Do what makes you happy man. If you're good enough then go for it. I've studied poker for almost 12 years and have my Bachelor's degree. I'd love to go professional but that's never been in the cards for me. Just because it hasn't worked for me doesn't mean it won't for you.

L

Litosfrank17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
take poker as a second entry poker will never feed you so have a good run at any time will make you lose the game of poker are more cons

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dropped out of college. It wasn't for me even tho I got good grades. Ive studied poker for the last two months. I got first place in a couple of freerolls. My girlfriend wants me to get a real job. Ive only played in MTT's. Am I crazy or is it really possible to get rich playing poker. People think Im crazy. Am I being unrealistic?

The people that make it to the very top of any profession, rarely ask if they should try. It is a passion, The results that you have had in 2 months mean nothing, and i would say the same thing if you told me that you won a $ 109 buy-in online tournament. Remember most of "us" on this site are recreational players.

If you are serious and passionate about paying professionally, you have much to learn. You need a Bankroll, you need a plan to improve your game, you need other players who are better than you to talk poker with and the list goes on and on.....It is not fair to expect your girlfriend to support you while you figure all of this out. You might hear a story from one of the early pros, that deposited $20 and never looked back. The game is much different. Is it possible to earn a living from Poker?? I say Yes, Is it common to become very rich, very fast. Definitely not like it was possible before. Make wise decisions, do not become a "degen" gambler chasing losses to get rich.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Work will not be superfluous, if you lower your bankroll, then in any case you will have to replenish it, and where to get money if there is no work?

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can stop posting here, he isn't reading anymore. He was waiting for at least one post sayin:
Go ahead, YOU ARE THE MAN!!! you've got it already in your name.
i saw this guy playing and he is even food for the fishes...:five:

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are young with your entire life still in front of you... I'll suggest the opposite.
I say: Dump your girlfriend, sell all your stuff, and invest it all in a poker bankroll.
Go for it! If you fail, pick up the pieces and get a job and a new girl!

You only live once so do it while you still can!

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Back in the 70s I ran good on racing for 2 years. Living was reasonably cheap then. For those years I had no other income than from backing winners.
1979 it all went wrong and I had all but $100 left. I bought some decent clothes and went and got a job.
Until 2016 hard work was my income source.
I truly believe for you a good professional qualification and employment is the direction you should be going.

THbc19

THbc19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's worth it. but it's a career that you have to be really good at.

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If its not too late Id go back to school. You can easily go to class and play on the side and if you get to a point where you're making thousands of dollars a week, THEN you drop, out but not before the money comes and definitely not after studying for only 2 months.

Nisnimnin

Nisnimnin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, I and my ex really did well a few years ago, when there was pokerstars, party poker, Doyle's Room, etc all over in the US for online players. Once they stopped overseas gambling for us, we quit. Now that I am back, i can't remember having so many bad beats/hands at once. Play has changed, and I really need to adjust, I guess.

F

francoalves11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's definitely my dream, or maybe play poker for an extra money, but I'm curious of where I can find resources to study and became a better player, I don't have money to pay a couch in the moment.

Jayplay916

Jayplay916

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this moment you are being unrealistic. 2 freerolls means pretty much nothing.
If you want to see if it is realistic or not play 1000+ real money mtts and see where you stand from where you started. Learn about bankroll management, see what other people say about variance in the game you play and look at your roi over a big sample (1k mtts+) then you might see that it's probably not what you expected unless you play $22+ mtts and have a good roi in them which are way harder than freerolls. You probably won't get rich from this game so a job is the best option and you could play and learn in your free time. (i was exactly like you, even tried it. I wouldn't say i failed but i was playing too low to have a good enough return monthly, now i have a job and play mtts just for fun, if i win one i won't quit my job it would be just extra money).

I wanted to comment on this quote because i feel if your going to be successful at poker in anyway it will lhave to be a full time job grinding it out day in and day out to make enought to survive. it will be work and no longer something you do as entertainment