Is it possible to make true friends at a poker table?

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Friends away from the table, but enemies across the felt I enjoy coming up against Friends in a tourney because they know if I check-raise I am usually holding the Nuts! and I can use this to my advantage against them and other players when I show the nuts, and use the same check-raise when I miss the flop and bluff with air.
Doesn't always work but most of the time I get a few more bluffs through.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

bekbollkz

bekbollkz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, friends happen if they played a lot of games together. It’s good at the table.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Even if making money is the most important thing to you, I still think you can make friends if you are willing to put aside differences that happen while playing. If you conduct yourself in a reasonable manner and not go out of your way to disrespect others in the game. I think it can happen. Just yesterday I met a guy that I have never played with in a live game. We both would talk about other players in the game when we were not in the hands. I gave him tips on how a person in our game was raising only his big hands more money preflop and his lower raises I noticed he had weaker holdings like QTs, KJ, AT.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Is it possible to meet real friends at a poker table?

Hmm... for me I'd say NO! But then again it is difficult for me to make friends anywhere as I typically do not like most humans. I do have some friends away from the tables but I am sure each of them has a special amount of patience to be able to tolerate me.
(As an ex-Int'l xxxx xxxxxxxx I had many friends at one point in my life but all were only there looking for $$'s (work), wanting a piece of the pie. They 'seemed' friendly enough... at least until it was all over, lol)

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm sure, and I have one. Since I have started to play we chat all the days, talking about poker and about life, family, politics, science, and others subjects.

We live distancing something about 1500 miles. And nowadays is the only friend I talk everyday.

I hope u all get at least one friend like that. GL

Cheers,

meagain00

D

Damnbruce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If course

I have several good friends I meet playing poker. We talk all the time and rarely about poker. We just talk about life and enjoy each other’s company.

E

edujah420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it difficult ,because most players are not willing to talk during a tournament for example .

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm glad most of the replies are "Yes". Cos that's what I think.
I've made a couple of friends through poker and I play poker with good friends all the time and it's always been fine.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I think it is possible but only when the friend you are playing with can deal with loss pretty well because at the tables there aren't really friends, you win or you lose, no mercy. If you play cash games with money you can afford to lose then I think game could be really fun with your friends.

Geksan_87

Geksan_87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can, then only when playing in live tournaments, online it will be problematic, since it is very unlikely that you will intersect at the tables, and communication as such in online tournaments is much less than in live ones

R

Rodriguesxr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. Why the players actually are very angry with others. Sad but true. I dont believe that can change.

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your true friend is the person you want to get to know in order to beat the cards, then, first of all, I would stay away from you.
At the card table, only players who can communicate quite nicely, but not friends.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I think so, sometimes bourn from a mutual dislike of another player who is disrespectful etc or from their own respectful interactions with each other.

marianexbj

marianexbj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
True friends I think it is very difficult, other than having a good vibes and being able to chat a little about poker during a game or during breaks, I do not think that you can take that to a friendship outside the poker environment. I believe that friends are achieved or given in other areas of life.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't even think that adults can make really "true friends" as when you are a kid, but it's totally possible make good friends.