Why would you ever pre-flop-raise?

H

huang_yuejin_2004

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To play free, you have to have enough chips earned. That's the key. For example, if you have turned 10k into 1m and you are playing 10/20, you can call any raise if you want. For me, when I play in wsop, I call any raise if I like. This is because I have 900m chips earned. My common buy-in is 5m. So, I bet an all-in of 20m is nothing to me.

H

huang_yuejin_2004

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I met an player who always raise 4 BB pre-flop in WSOP. This guy has 17m and I have 12m. I did check his bankroll and found it is only 25m. For a hand, I have a hole of the suited QJ. This guy raised again 4BB pre-flop. After flop, the board is Q, 7, 4. I bet all-in of 12m and that guy called. He lost because his hole is Q8. After this hand, he has 5m. In next hand, he raised 4BB again pre-flop and I called with a suited hole of A,8. after flop, there are two suited cards. That guy raised and I called. After turn, I got a top flush. That guy bet all-in and I called. I won because he got a smaller flush. In just 1 min, his chip is empty. he has to leave the table. If he continues, his bankroll may be empty.

My actions make all other players on the table feel happy. They show messages such as "lol", "HaHa" and "he is gone".

Last edited:
seven_outs

seven_outs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop raising pros:

you want to get rid of worse hands than yours, which could potentually (variance) hit the flop better than you.
So you want to eliminate that possibility.

Also if someone calls your raise it gives you information. In most cases your opponent got something good aswell. So heres the clue: If you preflopraise high and someone calls you can put him on a range of pretty good hole cards. Lot of facecard combinations or middle pairs. So if you raised with a homerunhand like 67suited and you flop a straight or a flush, the possibility of them having a straight is pretty low.

V_Sigme

V_Sigme

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1st reason to raise: u need to scare players with a very bad hands with low preflop equity, because u dont want to give a chance to bad hand be better than urs on the flop and further
first of all u need to anderstand what is ur range of raise
it depends of:
*position on the table(bb, sb, dealer, utg and etc)
*size of ur stack
*players you are playing with
when i played MTT and have a big stack i always try to scare tight players after me on a bb, bcs u can lose even with AA, but with a preflop agressoin on right players u can win some chips even with a trash hand, and the farther away, the more important is the theft of blinds.
Im a newbee, sry if my answer is kind of similar with earlier replies:^) hope it will be a bit usefull

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I overheard once from a pro poker player, cards are your plan B. You raise preflop to fold hands. The strategies in early, mid, and late game are differents.

N

Nuevo99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
But your story is not necessarily a problem with someone Pre-Flop Raising.

Since you dont believe in Pre-Flop Raising, you likely do not understand any of the skills required to use it.

In both of these examples this guy is choosing to play Weak Hands, and you say nothing of what position they are in, although I suspect their reputation is somewhat loose.

This is usually the case with someone like you (a preflop hater), you can not distinguish between someone who is just pretty much a raving maniac (raises every time on lots of hands), versus someone who is a Tight but Aggressive player who may expand their margin a lot out of disguise.

In my opinion, those are very poor starting hands for him to make that move in, depending on the overall context of position, reputation, and whether it's a tournament or not.

On your side, you had somewhat mediocre hands as well although with great Implied odds. It all depends on the read you had on this guy whether your move was really right or not. If he's a whacky maniac player who is raising a TON of hands with a huge range, then you probably were right.

Otherwise your Calling Station strategy is really nothing to write home about, although since your goal is to receive praise from everyone around you, congratulations on making your goal!
Yesterday I met an player who always raise 4 BB pre-flop in WSOP. This guy has 17m and I have 12m. I did check his bankroll and found it is only 25m. For a hand, I have a hole of the suited QJ. This guy raised again 4BB pre-flop. After flop, the board is Q, 7, 4. I bet all-in of 12m and that guy called. He lost because his hole is Q8. After this hand, he has 5m. In next hand, he raised 4BB again pre-flop and I called with a suited hole of A,8. after flop, there are two suited cards. That guy raised and I called. After turn, I got a top flush. That guy bet all-in and I called. I won because he got a smaller flush. In just 1 min, his chip is empty. he has to leave the table. If he continues, his bankroll may be empty.

My actions make all other players on the table feel happy. They show messages such as "lol", "HaHa" and "he is gone".

MiCephia

MiCephia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Diefferent Strokes for different folks

As you can probably see by my question, I'm new to poker. And what gets me confused a lot is preflop raising. I don't understand why people do it so much and what the point of it is. First of all, I feel like when I'm preflop raising (and I do have good cards) I'm just telling everyone at the table I have good cards. If I don't have good cards I especially don't understand why I should preflop raise, because it seems to me that the only two options that could happen are A) that I get called by someone with better cards than me or B) that everyone folds to me and I get to steal the blinds, which almost never happens without betting at least three times the big blind. Which brings me to my last question: why would you ever want to steal the blinds? I don't get it, there is usually way too little money in the pot to be worth taking a risk, and whenever there is actually some money in there it means that the entire table limped and if you pre-flop-raise you're almost certain to be called by someone.

So can please someone with a little more experience than me explain to me what the point of preflop raising is and why people do it so much? I mean there has got to be something to it that I don't get. Thanks in advance!

Some people like to slow play good hands but I always raise preflop. I've had too many AA hands cracked by letting some donkey with 26 chase and hit 2 pair or something and crack my aces. Basically I raise preflop to make most people fold preflop

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ideally, you need to raise from a position or with a good hand, plus study a few players at the table, and see who is ready to bluff and who does not, so if you have a good position but the card is not very good and no one raises before you, you have every chance to bring weak players from the game that would pick up the chips, or try to fight for the chips and catch luck. but raising tactics is an aggressive game, be prepared to lose chips by playing against more aggressive players.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My opinion is that reise is a personal option if you think you have to do it and you think you have to go limp anyway the boss is the flop

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bb

Hello there.I prefer to raise a monster pair like AA or KK .....i dont want call with 5-6 or middle cards .I agree AA is the top preflop pair but if there are a lot of players inside its more possible to lose .Also you can make the same move representing something very good (bluffing)/.Good luck at your tables.

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As you can probably see by my question, I'm new to poker. And what gets me confused a lot is preflop raising. I don't understand why people do it so much and what the point of it is. First of all, I feel like when I'm preflop raising (and I do have good cards) I'm just telling everyone at the table I have good cards. If I don't have good cards I especially don't understand why I should preflop raise, because it seems to me that the only two options that could happen are A) that I get called by someone with better cards than me or B) that everyone folds to me and I get to steal the blinds, which almost never happens without betting at least three times the big blind. Which brings me to my last question: why would you ever want to steal the blinds? I don't get it, there is usually way too little money in the pot to be worth taking a risk, and whenever there is actually some money in there it means that the entire table limped and if you pre-flop-raise you're almost certain to be called by someone.

So can please someone with a little more experience than me explain to me what the point of preflop raising is and why people do it so much? I mean there has got to be something to it that I don't get. Thanks in advance!
Poker essentially is about stealing the blinds. If it weren't big and small blind everybody would wait for monster hands. Think about ... Now, how you consider pre-flop raise. :questionm

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You raise pre-flop to get weaker hands to fold.

For example, you have AA, and don't raise pre-flop. somebody with 7/2 calls the blinds and hits 7/2 on the board and you lose. If you raise preflop they will more than likely fold and you increase your odds of winning the hand.

N

NotNegreanu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why you should raise pre flop

You can raise pre flop if you are afraid your hand might not play well post flop or if you have a strong hand period. If you have KK and you don't raise flop and someone just limps in with a2 and hits an ace on the flop there goes your KK hand, but if you raised BEFORE the flop you would have never been called.
:D

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You’re right in cash games it not to steal blinds
It’s frustrating to play AA in limit HE when all the fish is chasing and you can’t eliminate players to give yourself a chance to win
In NL I agree it’s tells everyone you have a big hand. I starting to limp with AA with the intention to 3bet 4bet or 5 bet preflop. If it’s a family pot I will muck if there action board and I can’t improve. After all AA is just a good preflop hand that’s all. What I see is AA raises big scares everyone off the table or 3bets big and just wins a big pot.
Better to win a small pot than lose a big pot with AA in a cash game
In tournament play is where raising preflop has more strategy

RickoNNN

RickoNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello

Maybe it's the level you play at, I think that at tables for some considerable loot not everyone will bet, they will think twice, but if you play many free or micro they usually bet much more since they do not lose a lot of money they invested. Try in higher money rooms.