Why do a lot of people say JJ is a terrible hand?

Scooopy

Scooopy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that beginners overestimate the strength of this hand and think that they have a top pair on their hands.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
88-QQ are pockets where the pot should be kept small. Many, including me, overplay these hands and then complain when they are crushed by two pair, a set, or a draw and our chips are gone.

rusyamingazov

rusyamingazov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ooooh I've lost much money playing this hand, people think that cause at the same time if opponent goes all-in in preflop you should call him and should fold this hand AT THE SAME TIME, and make decision at this moment is very hard

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I will never understand why some players open shove for like 50BB because they are "scared" to play them post-flop. JJ is a very strong starting hand and should be played as such, but cautiously in the case of overcards hitting.

K

kolorado

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is profitable for me, 214K HM2 statistics:
Won Hand% -58.7
W$SD% -65.1

LitPavel

LitPavel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a very good hand for preflop all in, I lost 18 of these hands out of 20, after the flop it is also dangerous to play it if there are high cards on the table. it is because of the waltzes that I most often fly out of the tournament on the money))) JJ is an average pair the same as 1010 and 99. I think people often perceive such a pair as a premium hand which it is not at all hence the attitude towards it)

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes two AAs can be awful, which speaks of JJ, depending on how they are played.

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ hand expectation is too high. Really hard to fold JJ. Nothing more

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
probably because they overvalue it...especially in early position...and overplay it.

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

He has had 3 different feelings during my learning of poker.
1- I trusted JJ a lot, I took a risk with that concept
2- Then he began to distrust and discredit them
3- Currently he has found a balance, depending on the situation they can be very good cards and in others some simple cards that have to be doubled.

:jc4::jh4:

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They say it is a terrible hand because it is an excellent hand haha. At first it may seem crazy to say that, but that's the truth. JJ are so good that they are really hard to fold, specially pre flop. If u face an all in you probably should call it, even if it means facing an overpair or a flip. Furthermore, more than not, there will be a higher card on the flop, and since there was probably already some action pre flop it wouldn't be surprising if this high card is in your opponents range. All in all JJ are good, but you can get yourself in though situations that you will lose a lot of moeny. I never complain when I get JJ though, it's a really strong hand and if played correcly will definetly bring a positive EV.

V

valanddon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Most people will play a hand with an A,K,or Q, so if they hit there
card they have you beat.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ probably the hardest hand to play in poker. It got huge potential also big risks, but ofc can be a winner hand, just from my experience I never rush with this hand. I rather have pocket 9s to be honest, I got a better win-loose ratio with this hand

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What do think about It?

Well I think a lot of players are Terrible players ... which is obviously a good thing.
And even better, many of them don't even know it.

B

billiamwedge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is the Ace Ten of pocket pairs. Strong, but vulnerable. I don't know the best strategy for playing them, but if I'm under 10-12 bigs, I usually have to ship it

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a good hand, but it don't worth an All-in preflop. I prefer hands as KK, AA or even an AK.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because they overplay the power of this hand and lose a significant portion of their stack. Many fall in love with their pocket pairs especially JJ or QQ and don't see the danger on the board.

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think having pocket J's is like having pocket 9's in my own opinion because it becomes hard to play when you see Oueens, Kings, and Aces on the board. If the flop comes K97 it is sometimes hard to c-bet considering also the opponent type.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Pocket Jacks are like any other Pocket pair, Fine if they hit the flop but difficult to sell if you miss. In a live tourney I got dealt JJ on the BB and was raised 3X by the button, I was a little concerned as we were on the Final table, and was not ready to go home quite yet.
The flop came 8,9,10 rainbow and being first to act I checked to the aggressor. He pushed all in and I had already worked out I had ten outs any 7, any Queen and of course a Jack would give me trips,
My opponent could have had any combination of 6/7 or J/Q or any pocket pair, 88 and above. I decided I had too much invested in the pot and called I turned over my Jacks and his face sank as he saw them and turned over Ace/Ten he had top pair with top kicker but he had to hit again to beat me. He Didn't and we shook hands as he walked away. I finished 2nd on that day.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think having pocket J's is like having pocket 9's in my own opinion because it becomes hard to play when you see Oueens, Kings, and Aces on the board. If the flop comes K97 it is sometimes hard to c-bet considering also the opponent type.

Against say a 20% calling range jacks still have about 60% equity on this flop, and about 55% equity against a 15% range, so this is a c-bet for me all day. An overcard is scary but chances are you're still ahead

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The trouble with JJ is that there are 3 hands that are a whole lot better and 2 other hands AK and AQ that are only slightly worse. When all the money goes in preflop you are more often than not up against one of those 5 hands. If you get to a flop and there is a Q K or A then things might not be so great for you either.

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is a great hand, but you have to know when you're beat and throw them away. That's the hard part for so many people.

M

maxmaster10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is a very good pair, but it`s not a monster hand...

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It is a terrible hand because it is well below the large numbers, only if a J comes out on the community cards can it become a winner, if not it is a lost hand for sure:D

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my view it is an intermediate hand where you can improve with few options, and a greater probability of losing a good bet

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands