Why do a lot of people say JJ is a terrible hand?

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mostly because you will deal with overcards a majority of the time and when deep stacked it becomes a bit difficult to navigate the hand. When you are shorter stacked playing the hand is quite easy tho !

ALL IN :)

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They say it is a terrible hand because they never win with it. It's great against a worse pocket pair though.

B

BDR-83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost every time I have jj, the opponent must have Q,K or A that come to him,but a couple of days ago I had QQ and the opponent has jj, and what do you think, who won of course jj.

C

CaptainXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a good hand with special challenges. You want as many people to call your AA as possible, usually KK too. QQ you want to drive some of them out preflop. But JJ? Do you want to drive everyone out and risk winning only the blinds, or risk multiple overcards?

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well ... it seems to me a good hand ... however it will depend a lot on the position we are in to take advantage of it ... and on the flop we must be careful to play it well ...!

Benkisto_BR

Benkisto_BR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also find it a complicated hand. To play allin, only if it is in case of extreme need, or if you are not going to compromise all your chips.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you don't hit the set you will always have to make difficult decisions. It is hard to have to drop JJ pre-flop, even harder to have to drop it post-flop when a naughty q appears, but it is still hard to continue and lose to a QJ.

Nicolasd07

Nicolasd07

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They must say that because they have lost several hands with JJ, for me it is a very good hand! You have a good chance of winning, but many times it is difficult to play it because if you get an A K Q on the flop it scares you a little ha ha

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The same as A's and 8's being a bad hand. Some players start to say there is no good way to play them (JJ), so as the years go on more and more people say it.
I feel they are just like all other cards, learn how to play them and stick to a game plan.

tuku222

tuku222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it happens that JJ in many cases becomes a weak hand due to the fact that his percentage falls as soon as major cards or projects appear, this pair is particular

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the main ability of JJ to play correctly is to make this hand profitable; in the multi-pot and on the flop there is no j-yj there are higher cards and we understand that the strength of the hand is much lower compared to the flop!

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did lose couple times in tournaments with JJ , You hardly can throw it away before the flop even if 3-4 bets , so you never know where you are at ,and to be honest with you ,it is a very costly hand

Thebhop

Thebhop

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ vs Premium Range (TT+, AT+. KT+, QT+, JT+)
Has 60& preflop but only losing by 45% of EQ when a Q+ with minor cards is in play.
Try to do pot control and keep it small, also be careful when you open raise with JJ in Early Position if someone 3bet you should probably fold.

I think JJ shines in Late position when your range is more open and can control the pot more easily to make it small or big if you hit set.

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think j j is nice hand , when you meet with j j all in is a best way to win big , mostly you will win . Other way if you call you will win less , i like j j more than A A , J J is a chance to doubble your chips , :icon_sant

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Think....
because it really is a terrible hand !!!!! hahahaha

Daddysprincess99

Daddysprincess99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't know people thought JJ was a bad hand! I think it's harder to play for sure because of the risky AKQs out there but maybe being cautious pays off with a little effort to play the hand?

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
JJ is a great hand if you know how to play it. Most inexperienced players struggle with it because they either play it too passively or to aggressively and find themselves in tough spots. It does require some nuance. Its a hand that you want to typically raise, and occasionally jam in the right scenario. When you flop an overpair with it, you should generally go with it on 100bb stacks. When you flop middle pair or worse you should look to get to showdown or fold to aggression. Its not always a fun hand to play, but with basic skill you should do quite favorably.

I will agree with you on this
Yes you have to play it smartly.
Not over do it nor underplay it.
I would say your winning or losing the JJ will be decided on how you play between preflop and on the flop.
Post flop will or would change the whole play.
:icon_sant:icon_sant:icon_sant

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why they say that. I have won many times and very good pots with JJ. You have to know how to play it. Don't despair, and know how to fold when necessary. Do not trust yourself, see your place at the table, and also how the other players play. But I think you gain more than what you lose with JJ.:cool::cool:

P

Pokersavvy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree it is tough to play J's. Hope to catch one if you do.

chaviiiis

chaviiiis

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I rather play with 2s... than Js...

with 2s you can easily dump that hand...with Js...GEZZZZZ... I stuck all way round to it... and at the end get broke by As or Qs or Ks... T_T

D

dianasamu245

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a good hand, what happens is that you have to play it very carefully

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think cause you cant fold them ,its a good pocket ,you cant go all in to much possibilities of hier cards

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you have JJ as a starting hand I feel like you are a sitting duck to the players that go in with a Q K or \Ace and some crap card. All they need to hook is another Q K or Ace and you are toast ........... unless you happen to be lucky enough to get another JAck

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket jacks are a tricky hand to play. In fact, many players hate this hand. However, it is important to remember that pocket jacks are one of the strongest starting hands and therefore one of the most profitable. But you need to understand when to bet and raise with JJ, and when the best decision is to fold this hand. Next, I will give you a few guidelines to help you start playing pocket jacks more profitably.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands