Why do a lot of people say JJ is a terrible hand?

T

terry5758

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a terrible hand because it is well below the large numbers, only if a J comes out on the community cards can it become a winner, if not it is a lost hand for sure:D
Well maybe not for sure a loser but if it comes up a loser you will probably have more invested in it when you lose

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against say a 20% calling range jacks still have about 60% equity on this flop, and about 55% equity against a 15% range, so this is a c-bet for me all day. An overcard is scary but chances are you're still ahead

Yes, JJ should definitely be a C-bet on high card boards IMO as you should be the aggressor pre-flop. If you're opp just called your raise pre-flop you should have more strong hands in your range than they do (otherwise they would have re-raised you).

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably those people that say JJ is a terrible hand, then you will see them play any TT-.. you might need to play kinda aggresively on pre-flop and study the opponents and try to guess if you should face a post flop raise or not.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

This hand is no better or worse than others. Everything will change on every next street. Overall, this is a decent made hand and not very weak by the way.

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Probably those people who say that JJ is a terrible hand, then you will see them play any TT- .. you may have to play a little aggressively pre-flop and study the opponents and try to guess if you can should face a post-flop raise or not.
Interesting answers I'm going to take:D

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
To all the answers that I read, most of them I understand that JJ is a difficult hand and you have to study your opponents more than play it. :D

pundim

pundim

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I usually loose with JJ because I tend to be too aggresive pre-flop and i get called by weakier hands that become stronger later. That's indeed a tricky hand

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never pulse with the pair of juveniles before the flop. I wait until the turn and then I apply. strategy.

CDancer_1983

CDancer_1983

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a terrible hand because it is well below the large numbers, only if a J comes out on the community cards can it become a winner, if not it is a lost hand for sure:D
not if community J completes a staight.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What do think about It?

A lot of people tend to overvalue JJ, thinking it is a premium hand and therefore miss-play it. It is a strong starting hand, but not premium.

I tend to play it much like other middle pocket pairs, like 77 - TT. You cannot get married to the hand, especially when an A or K comes on the flop.

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against say a 20% calling range jacks still have about 60% equity on this flop, and about 55% equity against a 15% range, so this is a c-bet for me all day. An overcard is scary but chances are you're still ahead

Yeah most of the time you're ahead but against NIT type of player who only raises with nuts or premium hands you are likely behind.

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is a strong pocket pair

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
because a beginner use to play JJ as a AA KK or QQ.

you should have in mind that JJ is not the highst pair that you can find in poker if you play JJ with this in mind you would not find so much problem.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im not so sure if that many people actually said jacks are a terrible hand in the first place. in fact i would say pocket nines or eights are much worse and harder to play than jacks, because lets asume you are playing against 2 players postflop. if an ace, king or queen come on the flop then your odds of winning the hand decrease significantly, however with a medium pair if you dont hit a set then in most cases your hand will lose lots of value.. position is also very important, because its not the same playing the hand at dealer position when you are the last player to act rather than sb when you are the first one to act post flop. with jacks its very important to make a big raise preflop and try to play against 1 or 2 players max, otherwise the odds of winning the hand are going to decrease significantly

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
because they think its a good hand and they expect to win with it so when they loose its terrible. It's like any other 2 cards. how you play them and whats on the board determine the outcome. I mean if you see a Q K or A on the board. accept the fact that someone else can have a better pair. if not you have a good chance of winning with good bets.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands