Why do a lot of people say JJ is a terrible hand?

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any hand is a good hand in the right spot or played correctly if you can read your opponents well

C

clave7777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in pre is best!! Won more than lost with them

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is a tricky hand. You have to really figure out where you're at with your opponent/s and any QKA on the flop gets really hard to know if you're still ahead in the hand. Basically, you're trying to hit a set or avoid overcards on the board.

M

monsieuradl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ

What do think about It?
I think that it is a good hand, but you should know how to play it. You should bet hard before the flop, but after the flop you may have some difficult decisions...

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there's not a huge risk playing with JJ, we are talking about a strong hand. Once an ace, king or queen appeared which will be common you just have to be able to push & fold in the right time.
I think from pocket tens to pocket deuces are most likely favours us in blind stealing and in a very-needed double-up.
So pocket pairs probably have their own mission, and if once they improved, really hard to stop them. :)

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Perspective

It all depends on position, stack sizes, who your playing with etc etc but here is a general guideline.

I love this deck of cards (Pre-flop) , I like to use them to review waiting on other things in general for pre-flop.

Well didn’t come out well in photo, but it reads number of players - raise (green) - call (yellow)-fold (Red) / Again just a guideline :)
2=77
3=62
4=50
6=34
8=25
10=20

Attachments

• 3BA8A0A0-6B19-4E38-9F00-E0F0B2A80E48.jpg
    3BA8A0A0-6B19-4E38-9F00-E0F0B2A80E48.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 5FC3519E-F31A-4B76-9C04-61535FBC1E2A.jpg
    5FC3519E-F31A-4B76-9C04-61535FBC1E2A.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a great hand. If you think it's terrible maybe you're playing it terrible.

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is a good strong hand. It is very vulnerable however. It’s not the type of holding you should put your entire stack at risk. You have to be able to lay down nice hands sometimes. Knowing when to lay down a big hand is just as valuable as making that hero call! It takes everything going your way to win a tournament!

Z

Stay Safe

T

TuesdayBlue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What do think about It?
I've seen JJ beat QQ and KK often on 888poker, but Aces all most always hold, however, your gonna probably be called by AK or AQ and end up losing. Also they seem to often lose to lower level pairs for some strange reason.....I still date them though

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like playing all pp, just have to be careful and know when to hold them and fold them

jj77jwj

jj77jwj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Jj is a good hand to call with but a good hand to go all in with. I've lost many times with jj. Your better of with jq and j 10 suited then jj in the end

Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ in tournaments

The strategy for drawing pocket jacks in tournaments differs from cash games. In tournaments, with the exception of the early stage, I usually play with a short stack. This means that the power of JJ increases.

With a stack of 10-25 BB, I am ready to go all-in even before the flop, unless I had several raises-reraises in front of me at once. Playing this pre-flop hand aggressively will allow you to collect "dead money" without a fight and avoid the problems that are sure to arise when entering the flop call.

Pocket jacks are strong, but also difficult to draw hands. With it, I try not to break up the Bank. If I don't get a set on a post-flop with an overcard, I play carefully and am ready to fold in response to a big raise.

Life is a game , play beautiful

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like JJ as a starting hand. I will reraise a raise with this hand. I try to win the pot right away in Tournament play. If you do see a flop you have to know when to lay it down.
I feel this exact same way in a cash game...makes sense in a tournament only if I am at a final table or very deep otherwise I play it like a small pair.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because he is in a range where he could easily be knocked down and add a big loss

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Idk..i think its a good hand along with any pockets.It all about how you play a hand really. Because it only matters after all the cards are delt. Good luck.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Preflop it has some value , postflop it losses alot , also it might leadyou n catastrophic for your stack results vs QQ , KK , AA in a flopwith low cards , also on the turn and river it might lose a lot of oits value from overcards , you see JJ you think it's a strong hand , but it might hook you forgood in complex situations , at least me , looooll:D For me it's good to shove it for 15 blinds ip , it pays me , other situations it troubles me , lol

S

SamboNice

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel the same way About This Hand...make Me Want Too Raise, But Every Time I'm Dealt jj The Flop is All Higher Cards, I'm Gonna Start Playing like a small pair.

K

kefapos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is not a terrible hand. It's very good hand with a lot of possibilities for a win. The play might be terrible. So everybody should play JJ with the appropriate strategy

forrow10

forrow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just one of my hardest hand to play. Hard to fold until the river...
I use to consider it as small pair in early positions (UTG, MP, LO) and as a big pair at CO botton and BB

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thoroughly enjoy being dealt Jacks. Just accept the hands you're dealt and play them accordingly. Jacks to some people are like black cats, meaning bad luck or unlucky. To me it's just another pair. You should be playing all value hands for value until told otherwise. Jacks is just like any other you're dealt it has a chance of losing against any two cards, but isn't that poker. Just play each hand to the best of your ability and leave the rest to the poker gods. Some days you run good, others you run bad. Variance will even out long term if you're making good decisions.

MoCoSolo

MoCoSolo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've busted 6 at a final table in a tournament and two huge pots within the past week with JJ against AA...never AK, three times against AA...

W

williemays56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why people hate jj

ive played hundreds of hands a day and come to find out that all in 77 have won me 5 out of 6 times, and a lot of times jj did get out drawn but I think its a poker player myth

Mortis71

Mortis71

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ has 3 over cards which any can hit, anytime.
Bet sizing and calling cards should be noticeable

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way of playing such a hand is much more conditioned by our position in the tournament, sitting place, number of participants in the hand, etc., than when we have AA or KK, but we certainly perform from a much stronger position than when we have a lower pair.
After the flop, we often have to make a difficult decision.
I wouldn't mind having pocket jacks on each hand, although they are very complicated for quality play.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands