What is the worst mistake that a poker player can make ?

Roman Tsygankov

Roman Tsygankov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BRM! Most on this site know how to play. Playing within your means is what is vital. 1/20 th stake of your Bankroll for MTT's.

But it depends on people. If you have good skills in poker, you can use fast BRM strategy,so BRM is more dangerous for beginers, not for professional players(but not always).(Mostly, I am talking about CASH)

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The worst thing for a good poker player is

" you don't know what exactly your edge against certain player or any player?"
the other thing is
" you don't know what exactly you have won for this hand?"

if don't know , it is not poker, it is luck gambling.
:D

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not following BRM, playing while on tilt, not being able to adapt

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think TILTING is the worst mistake a player can make, because tilt can cause all the other mistakes to pile up on you, and that's a heavy load to carry around 24/7. So if you can remove tilt from your game, many of the other mistakes will go away with it.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To fold AA haha

This is interesting because it reminds me of a discussion from "Small Stakes Hold'em" where they talk about how a player who open-folded each time they held a Royal Flush was making an error, but that the cost of that error was less than the error of playing too many hands (from the wrong positions) preflop. Because, while you might lose that one big pot, you can easily make up for it with other hands because you don't get the chance to make that mistake often. But, the compound effect of the small preflop errors, which you can make frequently, can absolutely destroy your chances of winning.

Folding AA preflop in hold'em, is a mistake. It is certainly more costly than the mistake of folding a royal flush. But, I think it is less costly than playing too many hands from poor position. Say you are giving up 80xbb of real equity when you fold that hand (which is super optimistic--I will check my database for my own personal stats with AA), you only get to do that one time in 212 hands. Meanwhile, calling a 3xbb raise 30 times with garbage that you check-fold on the flop costs you about the same amount (less than 90xbb because you Sometimes win something)... But you have the chance to make that mistake 60+ times between each time you hold AA preflop. It could cost you twice as much.

Edit: I pulled my database. I haven't been playing hold'em much (focusing on Omaha), but I have 20k hands of it. During that time, I have had AA only 81 times. I've averaged 8.9 bb in all-in EV per hand. Which is like 1/10 of the number I mentioned above. It is this low because we're not always getting called, not always getting 100xbb stacks in, and sometimes we lose. My results may be off from other people due to variance or other reasons (heck, I got dealt AA less often than expected just to start with and my actual results are 6.3 bb per hand due to run-bad). Still, even if people can get twice as much return, that's only 18 bb you're giving up by folding AA pre-flop. It doesn't take many bad calls pre-flop to eat up 18 bb in value. And you have way more opportunity to make them.

Last edited:
Robert Krawczak

Robert Krawczak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The worst when a player begins to distract and every moment thought less and less

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The worst mistake a poker player could make is not to follow strict bankroll management in order not to lose much and to have a plan how much to spend depending on his wins or losses .
Another if he plays online is not to have a HUD programm which nowadays is very necessary to be a successful poker player.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when player dont have own discipline and style of playing......

9peso

9peso

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The worst play from player is losing all money on playing stupid all-ins with dunce cards.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Home dispose bankroll correctly. Everything else is secondary.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest mistake a poker player can make is thinking he/she knows how to play poker just by knowing the basics without educating themselves through books, forums or videos.

W

Whiterosemov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play for hours and lose in seconds due to stupidity, anxiety and other factors

it really ruins my day and I remember that one hand for weekends, even dream with it lol

Last edited:
P

PW300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My worst mistake is playing too long without a break. When I become tired I start to make silly errors by misreading hands or playing hands I would normally fold.

H

Highwayman79

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I seem to be doing ok at cashing in on freeroll tournaments, and i have no problem waiting on good cards. I just have a hard time laying down a good hand or laying down a bluff when i know im probably beat. I have got to break these habits. Any suggestions?

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Chasing your losses
2. Overplaying your hand

W

Whiterosemov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Chasing your losses
2. Overplaying your hand

Yeah, I totally agree with that and I really can't help myself sometimes and keep on falling on one of those two mistakes.

Guess I will learn the hard way...

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that the biggest mistake a poker player is to underestimate the opponent and overestimate yourself as a player.

W

Whiterosemov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only one other thing I would add: getting so excited after having success for a while playing agressively and really lose any common sense and start to think that your big stack and your huge raises you make everybody fold all the time. That's something I see everyday, people just lose half their stacks playing like that. I've been there too, I'm a idiot. hahaha

V

vitor1234

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
fold with a pair of A or K in a hand !

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Not knowing how to play monster hands

grrrrut

grrrrut

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the worst is tilt and improper conduct of bankroll management.