What to do with $20 br

gmuballer111

gmuballer111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys i can redeposit that defeats the purpose of BRM and trying to win money, trying to change my habits and start making money on here!!

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go to the store buy a 12 pack of Bud. Fire up your computer open up the Black Chip poker site. Open up a beer. Open up Cardschat. Start reading and sipping. By the time you are done reading and sipping you are to drunk to play and have not lost a dime but gained a ton of knowledge.
That my friend is good bankroll Management.:D

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most players are losers, so a new one is likely to be a loser. A newplayer playing with 5% of his BR per tournament is going to bust it as $20 simply won't offer the cushion he requires for his learning curve + variance. If he cashes for $100 or we in a bigger tourney he at least stands a chance of becoming a winning player before the inevitable learning curve + variance busts him. No maths on this because I don't have a sample size on general population and have no idea how many players are loers and how many new players need to reload. I'm just telling the OP I'm a winning player and playing HU (where it's DoN, obc tactics are different to a 10 man) and I've ran 65BI below ev. Only way OP does not go bust is if he goes on a heater and learns to become a winning player quickly (something most people have never done). Both events together are unlikely and he's better off just shot taking imo.
We're just going to have to disagree. It's still not difficult to become a winning play quite quickly at micros. While there aren't as many fish around basically giving away money, it's not like they've disappeared either. So it's not hard for a newb to improve enough pretty quickly to break even and then to win.

You're at a different level where significant leaps up the skill ladder don't happen like they did when you were starting out. And your 65 buyin below EV streak presumably took place entirely against players at roughly your own level. You weren't improving rapidly relative to them. So that's a rather different situation. And just because you ran -65 doesn't mean other people will. For example, in nearly 7 years, I've never run even even remotely close to that.

Also, the chances of cashing for $100 or more in a $20 tournament are well below 15%. Winning 5x your buyin typically takes a deeper run than min-cashing. Let's be generous and say 5% of the players win that much. The odds of someone whose skill level is far below average being in that 5% are even smaller. So the odds of losing the entire $20 all at once, which means eliminating the chance to play and improve, are close to 100%.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We're just going to have to disagree. It's still not difficult to become a winning play quite quickly at micros. While there aren't as many fish around basically giving away money, it's not like they've disappeared either. So it's not hard for a newb to improve enough pretty quickly to break even and then to win.

You're at a different level where significant leaps up the skill ladder don't happen like they did when you were starting out. And your 65 buyin below EV streak presumably took place entirely against players at roughly your own level. You weren't improving rapidly relative to them. So that's a rather different situation. And just because you ran -65 doesn't mean other people will. For example, in nearly 7 years, I've never run even even remotely close to that.

Also, the chances of cashing for $100 or more in a $20 tournament are well below 15%. Winning 5x your buyin typically takes a deeper run than min-cashing. Let's be generous and say 5% of the players win that much. The odds of someone whose skill level is far below average being in that 5% are even smaller. So the odds of losing the entire $20 all at once, which means eliminating the chance to play and improve, are close to 100%.

What? A voice of reason? Man, that's just NOT gonna work in this thread:eek: .

A

AAChipMagnet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've asked myself this question a few times. Use your BRM and stick to the "grind". There is a reason grinders make it further in tournaments and make more at cash games.

gmuballer111

gmuballer111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go to the store buy a 12 pack of Bud. Fire up your computer open up the Black Chip poker site. Open up a beer. Open up Cardschat. Start reading and sipping. By the time you are done reading and sipping you are to drunk to play and have not lost a dime but gained a ton of knowledge.
That my friend is good Bankroll Management.:D

haha that is a really interesting way to put it!! I like it but i actually want to play and earn a little cash

I've asked myself this question a few times. Use your BRM and stick to the "grind". There is a reason grinders make it further in tournaments and make more at cash games.

exactly i believe if they play tourneys they use brm with easier to take the risks that big time winners do, especially with huge fields.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol @ callin $20 a roll. Deposit $100 and you have something to work with. Or play freerolls til you get to $100.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
20$ is not much in all honesty, BUT you can learn a ton with 20$ and even if you are a break even player, you build points, you get to play in free rolls, and can boost your roll.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I second what darkassassin said. $20 isn't much as an amount of money, but it can be very valuable in terms of what it allows you to learn. Luckily, it isn't that hard for a beginner to improve enough to at least break even at micros. As long as you don't donk it off in a few large chinks, $20 can certainly fund you long enough to do that.

gmuballer111

gmuballer111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i also have 47 percent rakeback, any type of games that will help me get points and play smart at same time?

D

Digitalpkr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend pplaying the lowest cash games at Limit Poker. In limit poker you can handle swings more easily than in NLH. Also, play super tight! and if you hit in the flop, bet. Even if you think you have the best hand. You don´t want to give away free cards to other players With this small bankroll you don´t want to risk anything. you might not win very much at first, but IMO that is the best play for a small bankroll.

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$20 is not enough for BRM.Doesn't mean you can't play in some low games run good then start practicing good BRM.But i stand by what i said.

LOl, yea start with $30.00 like i did then run it up to $1700.00 weeeeeee

Oh hey you still standing JoeBob lol:rolleyes: :cool:

1luckysob

1luckysob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a similar problem I have cashed about 20 grand in total poker winnings over the last 2 years almost all in MTT's but it was always my second income. I have recently lost my job and will do anything to make poker my career path. Unfortunately I don't have the BR to start, I periodically load 40 or 50 onto bovada but tend to be tempted by tournaments out of my BRM range and find myself busted due to variance. Should i try to switch sites? chalk it up to variance and continue to play? or is it really the smart move to sit and play 40 $1 SNG and hope to win 4 bucks at best???

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you put $20.00 on a site. Don't get the mind set that you will turn it into $60.00 in one day . It's going to take some time to grind it out. You might win $4.00 in a day but it will all add up little by little . I use to play 9man $1.20 sng start up 4 at a time , it takes about an hour to get in the money on them , but with a small bankroll you can do good . You could also play .01-.02 cash games but cash games are a diff creature and just depends what you will enjoy playing. Cash games u can play 6max or 9max and they play diff , don't mix games around just find a type of game you enjoy and focus on how to play it ,find out as much as you can on that type of game and you can win and turn your $20.00 into as much as you want . Good luck ,don't get flustered just relax and focus on getting better at the game you choose to win.:cool:

I recommend
#1) $1.20 9man SNG best bang for your buck for small Bankroll.
#2) .01-.02 Full ring cash games.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you put $20.00 on a site. Don't get the mind set that you will turn it into $60.00 in one day . It's going to take some time to grind it out. You might win $4.00 in a day but it will all add up little by little . I use to play 9man $1.20 sng start up 4 at a time , it takes about an hour to get in the money on them , but with a small bankroll you can do good . You could also play .01-.02 cash games but cash games are a diff creature and just depends what you will enjoy playing. Cash games u can play 6max or 9max and they play diff , don't mix games around just find a type of game you enjoy and focus on how to play it ,find out as much as you can on that type of game and you can win and turn your $20.00 into as much as you want . Good luck ,don't get flustered just relax and focus on getting better at the game you choose to win.:cool:

I recommend
#1) $1.20 9man SNG best bang for your buck for small Bankroll.
#2) .01-.02 Full ring cash games.

This ^ exactly. I'd suggest sticking with #2) 2nl cash games at least for awhile.
Also, depending upon what site you're playing on you might want to give 18-man or 27-man SNG's too (reg. speed). And of course if you can find any micro buyin valu-added MTT's, go for it!
One of the sites I play on I made a single deposit of $35 & today it's sitting over 100x that. (a few others that are/were simliar to that too).

Slow & Steady.... work on your game & your bankroll will take care of itself. Also as mentioned above, 'stick to one format' (whether it be SNG or cash). Don't even mess around playing different types of SNG's (for awhile)... just stick to one format & get yourself accustomed to it.

gl

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a similar problem I have cashed about 20 grand in total poker winnings over the last 2 years almost all in MTT's but it was always my second income. I have recently lost my job and will do anything to make poker my career path. Unfortunately I don't have the BR to start, I periodically load 40 or 50 onto bovada but tend to be tempted by tournaments out of my BRM range and find myself busted due to variance. Should i try to switch sites? chalk it up to variance and continue to play? or is it really the smart move to sit and play 40 $1 SNG and hope to win 4 bucks at best???
Personally, I have no thoughts of making poker my main source of income. However, I've had occasion to talk at fair length with a few people who actually did. So this comes from what they told me.

One critical thing to realize is that it's not nearly as easy to make a living from poker as some might think especially playing large-field MTTs. For example, let's say you set a fairly modest target of withdrawing $4k each month to pay your basic living expenses. Then, let's assume your long-term ROI will be 10%. These numbers mean you have to invest a total of $40K to enter tournaments each month.

You don't need a $40k roll since you'll be using your winnings, but then factor in your average buyin. If it's $110, that means playing 364 tournaments per month. If we assume 25 days per months, that's an average of 14.5 per day.

How many hours per day this works out to mainly depends on your avg number of tables and how long you last on avg.

Also, in terms of BRM, let's say you decide your guideline is to have a minimum of 25 buyins. 25 x $110 is $2750. But if you're right at the minimum, you have to drop down immediately if you don't cash in the very first tournament you play, so let's give you a buffer of 10 buyins. This would mean a starting roll of $3850.

Of course, no roll is enough unless you're good enough to be a winning player at the level you play. So unless you're already good enough to win at $110, you need to work yourself up. To make $4k per month playing lower, you need to play a lot more tournaments even if you assume a higher ROI. Or you need money in your pocket to cover your shortfall from $4k until you work your way up to winning that much.

You can play with the numbers of course, and my reference sample is only a few people. However, they all told me that the transition from making a decent amount per year recreationally to making a living was tougher than they thought it would be.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would always start a bankroll building with sng´s, maybe 25 cent or 50 cent buy in in this case. Easy to play ! And micro stt´s or multitable sng´s are always great and relatively variance free bankroll builders ! Good luck !