Understanding Pot Odds and Implied Odds: What's the difference?

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This theme is addictive for those who like to study this game. These concepts help in decision making in a variety of situations. I do not always remember to apply but I always come across situations that I have to use the reasoning and calculate the best decision using pot odds, implied odds and EV. Thanks again for the article.:top:

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
excelnete this article because it is like the right hand of a poker player, always keep it in mind when making money and not lose, since the ideal is to win, we learn a lot about this as we sometimes play without thinking or calculating study the opponents, and above all it is also essential to know the potions and ranges when playing.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Cardschat for another one good and very interesting article. I think it is very useful for beginners and good players to learn and rewise the material. I use the concepr of implied oods and I think I do it profitably at hte microstakes field cause much people play gamble poker and I ger overvalue when I get a strong combo on the turn or river.

Last edited by a moderator:
GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks to your article, now I understand my pot odds. I try to play by reading people, but now I will try to work together.

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all thanks for the excellent article! I try to use pot odds in my game after reading the books of Sklansky. It helps me to save my money and not to do weak call with unprofitable pot odds for me. The problem for me are implied odds... I feel, that I often don't get enough money from my opponent, when I have the best hand. The information in the article isn't new for me, but repetition is always good for our skills.

m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This theme is crucial to playing poker.

we need to know how far we can go with our implicit and explicit chances and calculate the percentage whenever possible.
We need to understand the basic mathematics behind every decision before we even act.
Cardschat has been doing a great job with this information system. It is very enjoyable to see this sharing of ideas, unique experiences and learning.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Pot odds are very straightforward - divide the chips in the pot by what you have to put in to make the call. Pot odds should be automatically calculated every hand, every action.

Implied odds are much more complex. One has to take into account likelihood of hitting and likelihood of getting paid - which is a complicated topic on it's own. There are bluff possibilities to consider, as well as position, table image, chip stacks, opponents' tendencies, etc. These things should also be considered every hand, every action. :D Implied odds assessment is simplified when you already have a strong made hand and can redraw to something better.

Last edited:
BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A very helpful article and very useful to those players who do not consider the effect of their bet or the risk and reward associated with pot odds.

I spoke to someone the other day who folded a flush grab because he felt the other player had made a pair on the turn and that beat his holding. When I started to talk to him about how much he had invested in the hand and how much he would have had to pay to see the next hand he looked really surprised.

Why would I bet when I am losing he said? Because you could win I replied.

This was a really interesting conversation and when we worked out the pot odds he had and how much he would have to pay to see the river he looked in total amazement.

Everyone should read this article and start thinking about pot odds.

BB

A

aboudogaO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To be profitable in poker there are some key concepts that you must consider when playing. One of which is incorporating Pot Odds and Implied Odds. While they both have something to do with the pot in the middle of the table, they are distinctly different (while also intertwined).

Pot Odds deals with figuring out what amount of can you bet or call in relation to the size of the pot and still be profitable.

Implied Odds estimates how much money you can win from your bet if you hit one of your outs.

Understanding the concept of pot odds and implied odds is crucial for a successful poker player. It keeps you from making plays that don't pay off, and keeps you profitable in the long run.

We've broken it all down for you in our guide on Pot Odds & Implied Odds

Take a look and tell us what you think! Do you use these concepts in your game?

You might also look at our companion thread on this topic: Poker Math: Understanding Expected Value in Online Poker
thnx for this key concept . I just finished reading your guide ON pot and implied odds , i didn t even know what does this mean , but now i do annd i will definitly use this in my play

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I've been a tournament player for mmost of my time playing poker I believe that pot odds and implied odds are more for cash game player and I've been learning about this the last few months cause I want to start playing more cash games and become a good regular winning player so this article just awesome is a signal I have to learn more about it and apply it to my game on the regular tables

Helloween

Helloween

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This mathematics should be applied at the level of automatism in a live game. When I started to play, the raises were based on the top hands of 4 blinds. That is, you entered preflop with a more bloated bank than now. And it seems to me that the efficacy of applying these calculations is more relevant when you do not allow your opponent to watch the flop for cheap. But that's my personal opinion.

G

Goelle7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep good to know it. But then it's sometimes hard to stay focus on that and not being emotional with someone who bet every time. Do someone sometimes do bluffing raise against such kind of players? Mostly it seems to me they're calling station as well.

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Implied odds are best used when we have a well-disguised hand. For example, a set, and the board is paired or suited. Just make sure that if we collect a full or four of kind, that our hand will really be nuts

G

geokara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
useful article, especially for begginers!!

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator