Understanding Pot Odds and Implied Odds: What's the difference?

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great article ! But I'm not very good at it, it would be good to use the software ! But I can't play with additional software !In tournaments I think it is not as important as in cash games !

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
correctly calculate the chances of the Bank, it is a real science. currently, I'm not good at it yet, but I try to learn. as for the chances of a flush, I can say that reaches all, but not me, especially at the rate of all in. that's why I'm dropping flash draws more often now. the hit percentage is extremely low.

This is not as difficult to understand as theory, but it always takes time for accurate calculations to be put into practice. If you are actively playing at multiple tables, you may simply not have enough time to calculate. This is one of the reasons why computer programs play better than people. The human brain is not so good at math and just getting tired. The program does not get tired, does not make mistakes, and does it as quickly as the processor in modern PCs works fast.

But this is a good and useful article. You must understand how this is done and learn to count yourself. :deal:

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These concepts are more applicable to Cash games than Tournaments.

Yes I use these concepts as a guide to decision making but I do not follow them exactly and all the time. You have to make calls that is not in your favor in tourneys to win pots, you also need to make mathematically incorrect folds sometimes to preserve your stack and survive in tournaments. If you make mathematically correct plays all the time you will not be successful.

This is because Poker is a game of incomplete information and the mathematics need correct assumptions to be right. Also players can be unpredictable which is nice way of saying there are crazy players out there. Finally many players purposely play against the math in order to gain an advantage, example if I guess you have a draw I will simply not give you a good price to chase.

This is spot on!

I would also add that calculating pot odds and implied odds are based on experience. Whether you are able to read through your opponent's overall range or not is essential when it comes to calculating odds.

As I mention in my post regarding expected value, It's all down to your ability to figure out what range of hands you are against and then make a +EV decision, which basically means making a decision that is profitable based on pot/implied odds.

Although article is quite good, maybe a bit more practical examples should be better? Just for those players who are still unfamiliar with math behind decision making in poker! :)

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't use those concepts in my game.
I have a poker book that talk about them, but it looks too much complicated to master.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Really good insights. Especially with regard to people overvaluing implied odds. In other words very unlikely they get paid on certain run outs. Something I am guilty of doing myself when estimating if I am getting right price.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Very good to take note of the poker pot odds and the implied odds bet; can say if a bet is profitable or not. And make the right decision and not guide us of the emotions.

jingler

jingler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you, thanks to your article and examples, I was able to figure out what the estimated chances are.
Implied odds are useful when deciding whether to call an opponent’s bet after you have calculated your pot odds. However, if your opponent goes all-in, you will not have potential chances, because you will not be able to extract additional money in the next rounds of trading.

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The article is informative for beginners, but if this is an article about mathematics, then there is little mathematics in it)
Often having a draw combination, I start from potential chances. But playing freerolls, I try to avoid border decisions in favor of more profitable ones.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Pot Odds I think it's the most basic and important concept of Poker. I think like everything else in life, math is the elementary basis, but in poker, besides math, reading people's actions often wins math. Of course, no one would abandon the Nuts for a perfect Bluff, but many times you can make the opponent abandon reasonable hands if you have an excellent reading.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very useful information that poker players must grasp in order to make correct decisions and profitable risks vs rewards. When the odds are favorable in poker we must take calculated risks. Well written article and links are very helpful.

SrWesleiNF

SrWesleiNF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker the analysis of all the factors make you more profitable in the long run, I have always used these concepts and the points addressed in the article only have to strengthen and strengthen the understanding, I hope they help other players to evolve

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-odds-pot-odds-implied-odds.php

Understanding the odds is important , however during each hand you have no way of knowing what the opponents have and so your guide is to watch how they bet. If you have paired up with any cards on the table , you will only know by betting if anyone calls or raises your bet. Or you can only tell if someone bets ahead of you. So, you need to try and figure out the draw and either go with your gut or fold .
Knowing the odds helps , but for me not knowing what will flop out or not knowing what the other people have is just that "unknown" element that makes poker.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definitely use both pot odds and implied odds when making decisions. They are important concepts to understand and can save you from making marginal calls and bleeding chips. Also reverse implied odds is a concept to take into consideration when drawing to non nutted hands.

Bee

Bee

to bee or not to bee
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I already said that I am terrible with math, calculating.... But I am sure that everyone who play poker seriously need to lear and keep in mind this facts.
Maybe once I will learn.

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
nice article , i think this knowledge is a must for every poker player as it would stop the bleed of chips in different occasions where you chase draws with terrible odds and at the same time you could use it to push players out of their draws by betting the right amount to give them bad odds chasing it )

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be profitable in poker there are some key concepts that you must consider when playing. One of which is incorporating Pot Odds and Implied Odds. While they both have something to do with the pot in the middle of the table, they are distinctly different (while also intertwined).

Pot Odds deals with figuring out what amount of can you bet or call in relation to the size of the pot and still be profitable.

Implied Odds estimates how much money you can win from your bet if you hit one of your outs.

Understanding the concept of pot odds and implied odds is crucial for a successful poker player. It keeps you from making plays that don't pay off, and keeps you profitable in the long run.

We've broken it all down for you in our guide on Pot Odds & Implied Odds

Take a look and tell us what you think! Do you use these concepts in your game?

You might also look at our companion thread on this topic: Poker Math: Understanding Expected Value in Online Poker

Excellent article on the difference between the two. To me the clearest example is a one card straight or flush draw which obviously severely limits your implied odds. In my opinion, I do not add anything for implied odds in these types of situations unless facing a total fish as the villian.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Caption program is important for me - it shows my pot odds and I don’t have to count them in my mind. But it is important to remember the hidden chances of the bank - especially when the pot is very big

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Very good article, even if you calculate the odds in one hand and still can have but 80% gain can still lose a hand that happens a lot with me

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Informative article and a good companion piece to the Expected Value article. Good points about overvaluing implied odds. Sure you can win big if you hit your outs and opponent pays you off, but you can also lose big if this doesn't happen. You need to use your best judgment based on each situation and opponent.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be profitable in poker there are some key concepts that you must consider when playing. One of which is incorporating Pot Odds and Implied Odds. While they both have something to do with the pot in the middle of the table, they are distinctly different (while also intertwined).

Pot Odds deals with figuring out what amount of can you bet or call in relation to the size of the pot and still be profitable.

Implied Odds estimates how much money you can win from your bet if you hit one of your outs.

Understanding the concept of pot odds and implied odds is crucial for a successful poker player. It keeps you from making plays that don't pay off, and keeps you profitable in the long run.

We've broken it all down for you in our guide on Pot Odds & Implied Odds

Take a look and tell us what you think! Do you use these concepts in your game?

You might also look at our companion thread on this topic: Poker Math: Understanding Expected Value in Online Poker
like i said in a post before , there are some thing that a poker player must know before starting to play , i really want to thank you cardschat because u re always offering me as i consider myself an amateur in playing poker , and really the strategy article that you offer is very helpful , great guide on pot odds and implied odds .

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Hmmm... thinking...implied odds is crucial for players looking to maximize profits at the table...

It's important for poker players to fully gasp how pot odds and implied odds effect decisions in almost every hand...

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In my opinion pot/implied odds play a huge roll in how I proceed to a hand. I attempt to take my time and figure my outs vs the pot odds I am getting, and then decide my implied odds weather I get paid if I hit my draw ect.

I sometimes throw this aside to my detriment, but attempt to use it like I should in game.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These concepts are more applicable to Cash games than Tournaments.

Yes I use these concepts as a guide to decision making but I do not follow them exactly and all the time. You have to make calls that is not in your favor in tourneys to win pots, you also need to make mathematically incorrect folds sometimes to preserve your stack and survive in tournaments. If you make mathematically correct plays all the time you will not be successful.

This is because Poker is a game of incomplete information and the mathematics need correct assumptions to be right. Also players can be unpredictable which is nice way of saying there are crazy players out there. Finally many players purposely play against the math in order to gain an advantage, example if I guess you have a draw I will simply not give you a good price to chase.

I totally agree with What you're saying here is a very good opinion I love to learn and calculate Pot odds now Implied odd I'm still learning and not yet dominate it but I use them on cash games more where you supossed to play lot of hand for the math to correct its percentage cause this is always calculated on the long run

It is an amazing article Loved this month articles both were really helpful and interesting ono of my favorite topics!

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry to throw cold water on this concept , but it is statistical nonsense. Poker is a game of hard facts, and implied odds are based on an estimate or a guess/hunch. Flush odds are hard enough to fulfill with odds of 4/1, why would any player buck the system and play when getting odds of 3/1 of 2/1

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The player himself has to learn to value his game and to estimate the size of the risk of each move and to make a greater control of his bankroll.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator