things fish do that you shouldn't.. aka NLH Poker Basics 101

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Criminy. Their limpers. You don't need 17 pages of theory. Club them like seals. Think of the button as a big heavy thing that you can tie to a stick. Wade through them with said stick and make them regret having limped. Then, make a coat. And maybe some mittens. A nice hat would be good, too."

Love this.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP is solid.

Arguing with certain people is like trying to teach a pig to sing. It makes you look foolish and annoys the pig.

Campbell's post is correct but, I suspect Phil Ivey could come on and back him up and some people would still say "Yeah, but what if...blah blah blah."

checked it with Phillip before I posted. :)

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and somehow on a poker forum we forgot to comment on playing pots OOP..

that needs a major focus for newbies..

**** me, I ruined it! :(

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Campbell, nice thread although it seems to be hijacked by this discussion on the benefits of limping. I was hoping to ask for your opinion on some of the things you mentioned.

Although you made your argument for limping, what do you suggest a good range is for calling 3bets? Obviously this is villain and effective stacks dependent but I feel in the micros most players only 3bet with QQ+ and AK. If you have AQo or AK in MP or LP and you get reraised by a person acting after you, would you 4bet? Call? fold?

Also, if you get a more marginal hand like AT or AJ in LP and MP raises standard 3xBB, do you 3 bet the raise or do you smooth call?

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tl; dr

Hey Campbell, nice thread although it seems to be hijacked by this discussion on the benefits of limping. I was hoping to ask for your opinion on some of the things you mentioned.

Although you made your argument for limping, what do you suggest a good range is for calling 3bets? Obviously this is villain and effective stacks dependent but I feel in the micros most players only 3bet with QQ+ and AK. If you have AQo or AK in MP or LP and you get reraised by a person acting after you, would you 4bet? Call? fold?

Also, if you get a more marginal hand like AT or AJ in LP and MP raises standard 3xBB, do you 3 bet the raise or do you smooth call?

umm right, thanks!

this is for FR btw.. so adjust accordingly if you're 6 max.

I hate calling 3 bets without at least 60bb+ deep effective stacks. This is my opinion though, people may disagree, this may be wrong.

If the person who 3 bet your raise is short, we're assuming they're a fish and will stack off wider against us. 4bet jam AQ+ TT+.

A lot of people I've noticed have adjusted by calling 3 bets OOP with QQ/JJ/AK, 4 betting AA/KK and folding everything else.

It depends on the player, but if your MP open gets 3 bet by the blinds I tend to nit up and fold, you're just never gonna hit a flop enough to continue and if you do you're going to be dominated some of the time and that sucks.

If its the BT it's somewhat wider but imo fold > 4 bet > call.

If you're opening from the CO/BT, people's 3 betting range's against you widens, and this for most people means their range is polarized. (I think this is right?! If so I don't know how I'm winning)

Polarized means either they have the nuts or nothing (nothing is usually something pretty so they have draws/backdoors etc on the flop) and theory indicates if they're polarizing their range, call, mostly IP obv.

About calling raises IP, I hate playing pots without the lead and AJ/AT is the bottom of my range for calling raises since its so hard to value-town a reg on an A-high board because he'll rarely have worse. So if its a CO raise and its unopened, just 3 bet him imo. If its an earlier position raise, depending on the player you can let it go or call IP.

note: be very aware of stats, I just learned today what I thought was a solid reg has a 3 bet of 9 and a 3 bet steal of 33 over 1.2k hands and never adjusted.

PM/skype me if you have any other questions..

that goes to everyone. ^

S

Supwidat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Unhappy

If you go on tilt a lot, chances are you probably aren't a good player. If you can't swallow losing with AA late in an MTT, you probably aren't a good player. It happens to everyone, over and over, it's not really a big deal.

Watch Shaun Deeb get knocked out of the ME with AA, and see his reaction.

Just watched it. He didn't have much of a reaction, but he was crippled, so it would be difficult for his next move to be a "tilt move." Also minimal reactions don't prevent tilt. I've seen many a player go on tilt while maintaining their poker faces. (Hopefully I maintain mine when I tilt!:)

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
how many big blinds did he have left after his aa got cracked ?

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
never limp with AA or KK...limping can cause others to call with weak hands and hit on the flop..
most time give a little raise..smooth call occasionally from late position​
Have you ever tried limping with AA in late position along with several other limpers to induce a squeeze play from either one of the blinds? It is possible. I'm sure that there are certain situations where you can limp in with AA or KK in early position to get raise from someone so you can put in a 3-bet. I've done it before, and I'll do it again.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
very instructive

very good thread , very instructive , if anyone has any doubts , see the pokerstars poker school found it practical exercises of instructions that thread , good luck and good learning