things fish do that you shouldn't.. aka NLH Poker Basics 101

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Um, IDK. Just expanding on the ideas of leveling and maybe suggesting that playing level 1 isn't that great.

lol not being offensive or anything (for once).

just seems like thats common sense? haha..

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Um, IDK. Just expanding on the ideas of leveling and maybe suggesting that playing level 1 isn't that great.

Revolutionary stuff. Go on post this on the poker theory section of 2p2 and see if you can get it confirmed.

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol not being offensive or anything (for once).

just seems like thats common sense? haha..

yup. wait im confused. when you asked "your point?" did u actually want me to explain why level 1 is bad, because ya i think everyone knows why or are u commenting on playing shortstack strategy or what?

Last edited:
CuttleFish

CuttleFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, anger and tilt aren't two completely different things. If you can't think straight, how can you play good poker?

Agree 100% Anger issues and tilt are exactly the same thing. They both come from bad management of expectations. Understand this properly and you will never have to tilt ever again, in poker or in life.

CuttleFish

CuttleFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tilt can be anything that happens that takes your mind away from the game (like that new waitress - woof!) Not just momentarily but in an ongoing manner.
Not just anger, but also disappointment, cockiness, etc.

Now the effect that tilt has on each player is going to be mostly determined by the depth or level of their game. A level one player is probably going to have to have to have a major meltdown to get thrown out of their game. This makes it easy for them to say they are hardly effected by tilt because they don't need much brain power to continue to play on at that level.

I am talking about tilt with regards to getting pissed off when the cards dont go your way, but I see what you mean here by different types of tilt.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and limping is super bad! even with suited connectors, you'll see a family pot and can own them but you can't maximise value OOP and the pot will be so small anyway you can't get stacks in.

ask anyone on here and they'll tell you..

You can't extract value OOP to play speculative hands profitably in a limped pot.

Things fish do that you shouldn't:
They limp a lot. Raise.

*Nice thread.

Limping is the worst thing you could possibly do with suited connectors OOP in the micros. Limping period.

Definitely good advice, but I have found in poker there is no Never Do This Or Never Do That, because almost any style can win.

For me, I don't recommend it, but I limp like crazy all over the place with suited connectors, AA, KK, QQ, any pair, etc. Yeah, I have to limp fold sometimes, I have to limp call fold sometimes. But you can mix it up with tight play and make the people who start raising behind you pay. I guarantee you, once they see you limp UTG with AA, they are careful messing with you when you limp some more, especially if you are a tight player. And when you find MANY of those players that can not fold AA or KK on the flop to a big raise, and you hit your 2 pair or set on the flop, the double-up that follows more than makes up for the folded chip wasting hands. :) I think the key here is to be able to play well post-flop.

I probably tend to raise a little more often once I get to 200NL and above, but everything is dependent on the table I am playing on. More aggressive, more limping; more tight, more raising.

I do love that advice on 2x raising and 2x 3-betting, it just sets you up for mostly really small wins and really big losses (sometimes you will get a big win), plus many people will put you on AA or KK and trap you and force you to call a huge bet, and many call it. Of course, like anything, 2xing may make sense in some cases (with a suited connector). Make them think you have big when you have small.... (good advice on women and poker) :marchmell

Last edited:
OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely good advice, but I have found in poker there is no Never Do This Or Never Do That, because almost any style can win.

For me, I don't recommend it, but I limp like crazy all over the place with suited connectors, AA, KK, QQ, any pair, etc. Yeah, I have to limp fold sometimes, I have to limp call fold sometimes. But you can mix it up with tight play and make the people who start raising behind you pay. I guarantee you, once they see you limp UTG with AA, they are careful messing with you when you limp some more, especially if you are a tight player. And when you find MANY of those players that can not fold AA or KK on the flop to a big raise, and you hit your 2 pair or set on the flop, the double-up that follows more than makes up for the folded chip wasting hands. :) I think the key here is to be able to play well post-flop.

I probably tend to raise a little more often once I get to 200NL and above, but everything is dependent on the table I am playing on. More aggressive, more limping; more tight, more raising.

I do love that advice on 2x raising and 2x 3-betting, it just sets you up for mostly really small wins and really big losses (sometimes you will get a big win), plus many people will put you on AA or KK and trap you and force you to call a huge bet, and many call it. Of course, like anything, 2xing may make sense in some cases (with a suited connector). Make them think you have big when you have small.... (good advice on women and poker) :marchmell

not even going to reply.

not again.

S

shaazy712

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ in mid stages of tournament

So I was playing in one of the carbon freerolls today, there were about 30 people left and I had about the average stack. I'm dealt JJ in midposition, and there is an early raise of 450. Now my stack is right around 4k. What do you suggest here??????????

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove, freeroll players are mostly retards and won't fold w/e you make it.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ in mid stages of tournament

So I was playing in one of the carbon freerolls today, there were about 30 people left and I had about the average stack. I'm dealt JJ in midposition, and there is an early raise of 450. Now my stack is right around 4k. What do you suggest here??????????

Shove, get called by ATs, fist pump, punch the computer when he rivers his flush. :)

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not even going to reply.

not again.

Oh too bad. Why not? Do you think I am doomed to failure? Should I not quit my day-job for a life in poker? Am I destined to be a fish unless I change my style? Can you be sure 100%? Is it possible that there is a strategy in poker that no one can succeed? (well, easy answer there, I am sure someone who goes allin every single hand he plays preflop could never win long-term, but you know what I mean) Am I doomed to be a losing playing if I limp in preflop in live and online poker? I want to know my chances from the experts here....

I am not disagreeing with your premise, excellent strategy for beginning players. But count me as a limper, and feel free to mark a fish next to my name if we end up playing together.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh too bad. Why not? Do you think I am doomed to failure? Should I not quit my day-job for a life in poker? Am I destined to be a fish unless I change my style? Can you be sure 100%? Is it possible that there is a strategy in poker that no one can succeed? (well, easy answer there, I am sure someone who goes allin every single hand he plays preflop could never win long-term, but you know what I mean) Am I doomed to be a losing playing if I limp in preflop in live and online poker? I want to know my chances from the experts here....

I am not disagreeing with your premise, excellent strategy for beginning players. But count me as a limper, and feel free to mark a fish next to my name if we end up playing together.

I will, I will also laugh whilst I print money against you.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice thread here txs for starting OP, I agree with others tho that never ever, and some blanket statements made, do not take into account differences in 6 and 9 person tables, table syle (loose or tite), table image, and reads on opponents at table etc.
So even if u r talking full ring or 6 max, there is no never-ever hand.
:D

Last edited:
OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

probably already have you tagged.

feel free to play how you like, I'm not gonna argue with you, I've done it too many times with other players and your view probably isn't open to change.

my point's (opinion's?) already at the top of this page so whatever.

but stats say limping isn't profitable, and stats don't lie.

almost any style cannot win.. tight/loose makes sense if you're aggressive but if you're passive you're always leaving money on the table.

and limp re-raising AA is so see-through, you make them pay once by losing 3-4BB, then they win it back off you next time you limp call with 66 and miss.

and if you do hit your set, isolaters range's are so wide that you won't win stacks, sets are pretty see-through as well, as soon as you get active post-flop after you limp called we're not really giving you credit for just top pair are we?

can we not make a separate thread and bury this?

sick of hearing it, sick of people trying to justify it, sick of arguing about it.

Blue's right though, we will print money against you. :rolleyes:

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sick of hearing it, sick of people trying to justify it, sick of arguing about it.

Blue's right though, we will print money against you. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you know it all. How long have you been a really successful professional now? No matter, I am sure you could never be the least bit in error.

I do get a chuckle on the part about printing money on me....You and Blue, thank you for the good deep laugh.

Good Luck guys. This is friendly forum so I do not want to cause trouble. I wish you well.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad to hear you know it all. How long have you been a really successful professional now? No matter, I am sure you could never be the least bit in error.

I do get a chuckle on the part about printing money on me....You and Blue, thank you for the good deep laugh.

Good Luck guys. This is friendly forum so I do not want to cause trouble. I wish you well.

never said we know it all.. but ask around?

who do you respect on the forum? we'll ask them.

not looking for problems either so, I'll just leave it at that.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never said we know it all.. but ask around?

who do you respect on the forum? we'll ask them.

not looking for problems either so, I'll just leave it at that.

I'm sure WV can confirm, or Jurn8, or Baudib, or dw, probably even Cali could confirm this.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Can you post stats to confirm that people aren't printing money from you when you open-limp?

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure WV can confirm, or Jurn8, or Baudib, or dw, probably even Cali could confirm this.

Last ones questionable. :rolleyes:

or Gomez, or Jagsti, or Acky, or Deco.

Nice working with you Blue! :shakehand

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last ones questionable. :rolleyes:

or Gomez, or Jagsti, or Acky, or Deco.

Nice working with you Blue! :shakehand

Well the last one was speculative.

Aye, we should do it more often lol. Although one of my april goals will be to have less confrontations on here, ps and real life so I'll be trying to avoid threads like this where people try and defend ludicrous views.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the last one was speculative.

Aye, we should do it more often lol. Although one of my april goals will be to have less confrontations on here, ps and real life so I'll be trying to avoid threads like this where people try and defend ludicrous views.

haha sweet. might copy it mate!

think mines gonna be to double my average hands per month, which is 30k (lolbad) so I'm gonna be posting on here a lot less.

:cool:

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha sweet. might copy it mate!

think mines gonna be to double my average hands per month, which is 30k (lolbad) so I'm gonna be posting on here a lot less.

:cool:

I'm just going to go for sick volume in next month. After that have to stop playing and do some revision :(

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, I don't recommend it, but I limp like crazy all over the place with suited connectors, AA, KK, QQ, any pair, etc.

I do love that advice on 2x raising and 2x 3-betting, it just sets you up for mostly really small wins and really big losses

Contradiction surely...

lol limpaments