Texas Hold'em Odds

BrotherPaps

BrotherPaps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Putting together an ebook with winning hand odds/probabilities in Texas Hold'em Poker for beginners.

(copyright free banner artwork created with Canva)

Odds

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello 🙂
Have you seen that there is an online odds calculator here in the community?
You might also be interested in reading this guide:

BrotherPaps

BrotherPaps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello 🙂
Have you seen that there is an online odds calculator here in the community?
You might also be interested in reading this guide:

Initially I searched "odds" and "hold'em odds" in the forum, and did not find these. Only later they showed up on Google, I was looking for a calculator to show preflop probabilities before knowing any additional player's cards. I'll probably find them in a chart, because all calculators require to input at least the cards for 2 players.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Initially I searched "odds" and "hold'em odds" in the forum, and did not find these. Only later they showed up on Google, I was looking for a calculator to show preflop probabilities before knowing any additional player's cards. I'll probably find them in a chart, because all calculators require to input at least the cards for 2 players.
The guide written by Chris ‘Fox’ Wallace is really worth the attention.
He quite simply explains all the nuances of calculating the odds.
In fact, in CardsChat you can really find everything you need for your poker game.

Pay attention to the information at the top of the site: I am sure that you will find a lot of useful information there.🙂
20230609 025514

BrotherPaps

BrotherPaps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My first question would be: what are the winning odds for the best possible hand, pocket aces?

And the answer to that question seems to be: around 85%. The heads-up preflop chance of winning against 2 random cards is around 85%.

Next, I'd look at the winning odds of pocket aces preflop versus 2, 3... up to 9 players all-in.

Pocket aces

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
It's a little unclear if you want to discuss this or are you sharing information? 🙂
But, in any case, the calculation of chances depends on the number of competitors and the more of them the lower the chance.
But, to be honest, I am of the opinion that the odds are always approximately equal on the preflop (although I am such a fish that my opinion can be divided by 100 and extract the root from it).🙊😄

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
the more players in the less chances you get to win it , thats why its always a good thing to 3bet to isolate villains and get some players out of the hand and never ever flat with it unless you are sure by trapping you will get a raise , of course you need to 3bet also with medium/strong hands as well to keep it balanced else villains know you only 3bet monsters and get 0 calls in the future , just my personal opinion ( another fish in the pond ^^ )

BrotherPaps

BrotherPaps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a little unclear if you want to discuss this or are you sharing information? 🙂
But, in any case, the calculation of chances depends on the number of competitors and the more of them the lower the chance.
But, to be honest, I am of the opinion that the odds are always approximately equal on the preflop (although I am such a fish that my opinion can be divided by 100 and extract the root from it).🙊😄

🙂 Both sharing information and discussing it.

You can't have equal chances pre-flop, even though sometimes it may feel that way.

Let's take the example of top pair aces versus smallest pair deuces:

AA vs 22

BrotherPaps

BrotherPaps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the more players in the less chances you get to win it , thats why its always a good thing to 3bet to isolate villains and get some players out of the hand and never ever flat with it unless you are sure by trapping you will get a raise , of course you need to 3bet also with medium/strong hands as well to keep it balanced else villains know you only 3bet monsters and get 0 calls in the future , just my personal opinion ( another fish in the pond ^^ )

I think your strategy also depends of the type of game you are playing (cash table, snap, tournament), your stack size, level in the game and overall objective.

BrotherPaps

BrotherPaps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

For instance literally the last hand I played and lost just earlier before typing here was in a 5€ BLAST game. The winner took the 10€ prize in 2 hands: first with an A 10, high pair tens and doubled up. Then I got 10 J, went all in, she called with A K. I had decent odds going in, but she ended up maintaining the upper hand. (she'd be winning about 2 out 3 times we'd be playing these cards)

10J vs AK

BrotherPaps

BrotherPaps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For instance literally the last hand I played and lost just earlier before typing here was in a 5€ BLAST game. The winner took the 10€ prize in 2 hands: first with an A 10, high pair tens and doubled up. Then I got 10 J, went all in, she called with A K. I had decent odds going in, but she ended up maintaining the upper hand. (she'd be winning about 2 out 3 times we'd be playing these cards)

View attachment 334679

On previous posts there was an editing option, I've been looking for it to make a correction here and can't find it (typing from Chrome, mobile device).

The correction I was looking to make was: 2 out of 3 times (on average).

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
🙂 Both sharing information and discussing it.

You can't have equal chances pre-flop, even though sometimes it may feel that way.

Let's take the example of top pair aces versus smallest pair deuces:

View attachment 334676
So, I just wanted to say that on preflop, we can never calculate the odds. Therefore, we always perceive the odds as 60/40 if we are with a couple, given that the odds are more on our side. I really don't understand much about understanding the "right game", but I am of the opinion that you can talk about chances starting with the flop. Before the flop, it's 60/40 - that is, something about the same.
And as I said: I am a fish and this is just my opinion.🙊

BrotherPaps

BrotherPaps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, I just wanted to say that on preflop, we can never calculate the odds. Therefore, we always perceive the odds as 60/40 if we are with a couple, given that the odds are more on our side. I really don't understand much about understanding the "right game", but I am of the opinion that you can talk about chances starting with the flop. Before the flop, it's 60/40 - that is, something about the same.
And as I said: I am a fish and this is just my opinion.🙊
Thank you for the comment! It is a useful motivator to research further.

So here is a the table with the "Texas Holdem Heads-Up Preflop Odds":

There are 169 possible starting hands, aces have the highest winning probabilty: 84.93%, all the way down to [2,3]offsuit at 29.22%.

(s means suited, both cards are of the same suit ♣️♣️ clubs, ♦️♦️ diamonds, ♥️♥️ hearts or ♠️♠️ spades
and o means offsuit, the two cards having different suits).

BrotherPaps

BrotherPaps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for the comment! It is a useful motivator to research further.

So here is a the table with the "Texas Holdem Heads-Up Preflop Odds":

There are 169 possible starting hands, aces have the highest winning probabilty: 84.93%, all the way down to [2,3]offsuit at 29.22%.

(s means suited, both cards are of the same suit ♣️♣️ clubs, ♦️♦️ diamonds, ♥️♥️ hearts or ♠️♠️ spades
and o means offsuit, the two cards having different suits).

Important to take note of the two premises of generating the table of Texas Hold'em Preflop Odds above:

1. it's a heads-up bet (only 2 players, 1 vs 1);
2. no-one can fold

UnderDawg5501

UnderDawg5501

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Get a copy of Equilab, it's free. And you can calculate odds for any 2 cards vs 1 or more players with any sort of ranges for any/all villain's. It's by far more than you can put in a chart or two. And much more.

BrotherPaps

BrotherPaps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get a copy of Equilab, it's free. And you can calculate odds for any 2 cards vs 1 or more players with any sort of ranges for any/all villain's. It's by far more than you can put in a chart or two. And much more.
Thanks, I'll look it up. The idea would be to find the information somehow useful in game approach. It's easier if the math is already done than to work it out myself. But it's still interesting to browse through it.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator