The Ten Biggest Keys to Winning at Poker (Day 30 Course Discussion)

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the course a lot off value in it and a lot off excelent informtion, they 10 keys are crutial for every poker player that wanths to be profitable.

N

nwhitney118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the questions that I got wrong I completely understand in hindsight, and combined with going back to the relevant days shouldn't be a problem. The QJo, AJo and A7s hands were the exceptions though, the first two have already been brought up and the explanations for them make more sense, I think I got caught up with paralysis by analysis during the quiz. (although I do hate you guys for being so extreme with min bet or shove the AJo, I despised having to pick either :p).

A7s though; I took raise out and considered folding or, controversy, calling to be acceptable. My reasons being that I'd be getting 3:1 odds to see a flop with a hand that has decent post flop playability AND the biggest factor being that we are the mid stack with 5 people shorter than us, 3 of which significantly so (<10BB). If we call and get 3 bet by the BB, or whiff the flop we can get away easily and still be significantly ahead of the shorter stacks. If we shove and and get knocked out now we lose a huge amount of tournament equity on a hand that's solid, but far from premium. The 6 and 7BB stacks are also about to get hit with the blinds so I feel like there's an increased chance of them getting knocked out this orbit. Interested to see your guys thoughts (again, maybe I'm just in paralysis by analysis mode lol)

Really great course guys, thought it ramped from the real basics like position at the start to some much more complex and challenging topics in the middle and end. Shame I just failed the quiz (9) but I've been running at a solid ROI in sit and go's since starting so something must be going right :D. Very grateful to Collin and Katie for the quality of teaching and always being so quick and detailed to respond on the forums, been a lot of fun.

Edit: Forgive my smugness but I ran the hand in ICMiser..... It says push is a -EV move. I'm claiming a point for the pass!

Last edited:
Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats on completing the course NWhitney!

With A7s, shoving is close and depends on Villain's open and call ranges. That's interesting that ICMizer default is to fold. I'm happy with a fold there, but personally wouldn't have a calling range in that spot given that we're under 20bb and not in the big blind.

With that said, I'm endorsing your extra point due to the excellent reasoning you provide here and in other threads :) So it's a confirmed pass. We appreciate the nice words and hope you'll message Tammy to get your badge!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Edit: Forgive my smugness but I ran the hand in ICMiser..... It says push is a -EV move. I'm claiming a point for the pass!

The A7s hand is unprofitable as a jam, if you are on the final table, because then there is a lot of benefit in letting some of the 5 short stacks bust first and get those payjumps. But the quiz question was "less than 100 are left, and we are in the money". To simulate that you need to select something like pokerstars MTT 1050-man, put ICMizer in MTT mode and plug in a reasonable average stack size for players at the other tables. I did, and then A7s is a marginally profitable jam.

This does not mean, we always need to be jamming. ICMizer makes assumptions about, what HJ is mini-raising, and what both he and BB is going to call off with. And if these assumptions are slightly wrong, then a marginally profitable jam can quickly turn unprofitable. Basically this is a 3-bet bluff, so as always we want to look for people, who open wide, and who are able to fold to 3-bets. We dont want to 3-bet light against either nits or calling stations.

Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow!!!!
the Feeling after watching this video lesson and the entire course as a whole is a radical change in my technique and view of this game. During the course, I managed to visit the final tables several times and took first place. I have finally completed this course and this is a great victory for me at the beginning of my journey to achieve my goals. I answered 12 correct questions, which I'm happy with. And I think this is a good result. Sometimes, in some situations, I should be braver, like Katie. I hope that over time I will adjust to this. Katie I look forward to your lessons on courage training :D.
Collin I was also interested in your books: sit n go strategy and no-limit Headsup.
Collin Moshman Katie Dozier thank you very much for your course and for your work on the development of our poker game!:top:. I will miss you and your lessons:icon_salu. I would be very happy if in the future there would be a continuation of this course, for those who have completed this course. Debi thank you very much! After all, thanks to you, I noticed and learned about this course.
With respect, to be successful:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

Life is a game , play beautiful

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congratulations Good Man! We really appreciate these nice words and are so glad you enjoyed the course. Keep us posted on your progress :)

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
A very comprehensive yet clear overview of technical side of poker. But for me, its only half :) And only giving roses feels too easy now, when cc working staff appears to be emotionally unshakable. :)

You can be Jackie Chan of poker technically, but still not making money. If you are more emotional then average person, its very likely you will find yourself chasing your loses. Regulation your motions is more important that can be said. It depends lots of our nature how we react when, -not like in life usually but because of the special feature of poker,- your right decicions is not been awarded, but are harmful instead.

Here is one paper about subject from group of cognitive researches, for those who are intrested.

https://researchportal.helsinki.fi/en/publications/poker-as-a-domain-of-expertise

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is like tai chi...don't get hit, and strike when you can

the biggest key to winning at poker is not losing....sounds silly i know...but think about it.
and learn how to avoid variance as much as possible...dodge bullets baby.

if you learn how not to lose, then your wins will count for a lot more...na..??

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you Cardschat, Katie and Collin, for giving us this wonderful course
I wish you much success
I loved the course, I saved the playlist to youtube, because you need to brush up on some concepts until they flow naturally into the game.
Only with perseverance can we achieve success.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This course was very informative!

Some of the most memorable ideas which help my game include pot control, floating and bluff catching.

It is fun trying to use these ideas to maximize my winnings on a hand and of course, minimize my losses too.

Armed with all the concepts taught throughout this course, I feel like a winning poker player now!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you Cardschat, Katie and Collin, for giving us this wonderful course
I wish you much success
I loved the course, I saved the playlist to youtube, because you need to brush up on some concepts until they flow naturally into the game.
Only with perseverance can we achieve success.

I’m so glad you enjoy it, Carmenzu, thanks!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This course was very informative!

Some of the most memorable ideas which help my game include pot control, floating and bluff catching.

It is fun trying to use these ideas to maximize my winnings on a hand and of course, minimize my losses too.

Armed with all the concepts taught throughout this course, I feel like a winning poker player now!

Congratulations on completing the course, Redboy—and thanks for chiming in with some of your excellent thoughts along the way! It’s great to hear that you feel like a winning poker player now, and I’m sure that will become true (if it hasn’t already :) ) very soon through your outstanding dedication to improving!

Daddysprincess99

Daddysprincess99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completed the course today with B grade, room for improvement, and great resources to refer back to. Thank you Collin and Katie for this super helpful course <3

Are there any books you would recommend? I know Collin has a math related one that would probably hurt my head but I'll try if you think it will help me understand the game better.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats Daddsyprincess!

I think the best next step is just to get more experience in the games, mark your hands, and post any hands where you'd like advice.

Awesome job going through the whole course. Good luck + keep us posted :)

B

birdman666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I finished the course a while ago and now I am repeating the final exame. I had a C before I believe, but know I'm doing everything right.
Just need to review those shove-fold stuff, bib blind, float, etc. These are advanced concepts and are what makes the difference, since right now most players know the basics.
Missing the old times. Its not as easy to win these days.

Thanks Collin and Katie. Hoping to find and beat you on the tables

SASSOD

SASSOD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
el novato

Hello, where do I find the beginning of this course?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I finished the course a while ago and now I am repeating the final exame. I had a C before I believe, but know I'm doing everything right.
Just need to review those shove-fold stuff, bib blind, float, etc. These are advanced concepts and are what makes the difference, since right now most players know the basics.

Haha thanks Birdman, we hope so too and congrats on finishing the course! We appreciated all of your feedback and thought-provoking questions as you went through it.

I know the games are a bit tougher these days but I think you're going to be very successful.

Hello, where do I find the beginning of this course?

You'll find it here.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Way to go, birdman! Also great that you know what to continue to work on. It has gotten harder over the years (when I started, a double digit ROI in $75 super turbo was achievable with just good shove/fold knowledge haha) but there’s still a lot of profit to be made. Best of luck to you at the tables! :)

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Final Exam

1. a. Raise b. c-bet
2. Shove because of stack size
3. a. Raise b. c-bet
4. Check back on flop, bet or call a raise on turn and value bet or call river
5. a. Call b. Check-raise
6. a. 12 outs b. 26% c. Call getting the right odds
7. a. Call or 3-bet b. float or raise of checked to
8. NO
9. a. Yes value raise b. jam
10. You can't call -- fold or shove
11. SHOVE
12. SHOVE
13. a. Call b. Check-raise jam
14. a. Raise b. 524k c. Shove
15. Gotta jam -- twos never lose!!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats on finishing the course xOneCoolHandx, and good luck applying the knowledge in your games! I think you're going to be very successful from reading your posts, and I hope you'll keep us posted :)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. a. Raise b. c-bet
2. Shove because of stack size
3. a. Raise b. c-bet
4. Check back on flop, bet or call a raise on turn and value bet or call river
5. a. Call b. Check-raise
6. a. 12 outs b. 26% c. Call getting the right odds
7. a. Call or 3-bet b. float or raise of checked to
8. NO
9. a. Yes value raise b. jam
10. You can't call -- fold or shove
11. SHOVE
12. SHOVE
13. a. Call b. Check-raise jam
14. a. Raise b. 524k c. Shove
15. Gotta jam -- twos never lose!!

Way to go on completing the course and thanks for your many insights along the way! :)