Slow Playing Preflop: When and How to do it

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In tourneys I've occasionally limped with AA. Generally I would do it only with ppl that I think have notes on me. They know what I normally limp with.

Otherwise, raise.

In cash, I would limp only against super aggro ppl I am almost sure will come over the top.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
slow playing gets me in a lot of trouble, where I don't know how to get out when I have either AA or KK I feel trap when the board its juicy and it gets worse, where I have to either risk all the chips or fold.

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow playing preflop seems kind of pointless, just an opinion. If you have a good hand preflop, then I think you should be accordingly. Especially if you're trying to disguise your hand, let's say, just limping in looking for the big blind or maybe the big and small blind to think you're just seeing a flop, not knowing you have a monster, you're just asking for one of them to hit the flop. The chances of them catching something are greater and you're not making them pay for the price of admission.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello very good article, very interesting the subject being treated, my eh part seen that many players play this strategy from early position, do not recommend it if you are playing with players who have the highest VPN, which is whether profitable when is underway with few players max-3 here if it is profitable implement the strategy. Be very careful with this strategy but when you know you can apply get our hands value.

C

Cesum Pec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow playing preflop seems kind of pointless, just an opinion. If you have a good hand preflop, then I think you should be accordingly. Especially if you're trying to disguise your hand, let's say, just limping in looking for the big blind or maybe the big and small blind to think you're just seeing a flop, not knowing you have a monster, you're just asking for one of them to hit the flop. The chances of them catching something are greater and you're not making them pay for the price of admission.

It depends on the table. If your 1/2 table is full of OMCs who all buy in for the min, there is a big chance that no one but you will ever 3 bet unless they have AA. They call lots of bets, but they rarely raise. If you bet out your typical opening bet, say $8, you might have 5 callers and be in a very tough position post flop. If you bet $20, you might get one caller, just like you want, or you might do nothing but steal the blinds.

So if you're UTG with AA, you limp, because you improve the chance of a 2 bet coming out. UTG+2 raises to $8, there are 3 folds and 4 callers, and then you pop it to $40. Maybe you get one caller, maybe you take the pot. Either way, you're ahead.

On that same table with 6 OMCs and a couple of better, more aggressive players, especially if the stacks are deep, I might open for $5 hoping to get the raise and re-raise before it got to back to me.

On a table with mostly all good, observant players, I would go ahead and open for my typical $7 so as to disguise my premium.

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is great to trap opponents into slow play.
But not when they also slow play and trap me too.
All chips count, so sometimes we need to disguise our hand to win some more.

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Honestly I do not approve of this style of game I know there are times where it can be done but not like him. It has happened to slow play a set and losing. You can delay a box or a royal flush but the opponent will hardly have anything. Also when you are first and have a strong hand is advisable not to give the power of your hand.

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
should only slowplay when you have a decent read on a player and a suitably strong hand connecting with flop

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Interesting read. Big part of it is being aware of your opponents and your own image. I certainly add in some slow plays when I know aggressive opponents are behind.
It can also be very profitable to do this in bounty hunters to flat an early position shove. I would like to hear more bounty builder strategy on this in the future.

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all thanks for good article! Information represented here is very useful for me. But I'm always afraid of slow playing. It's good instrument for players, who feels themselves comfortable on postflop, but this is playing with fire for inexperienced players. If you slow play preflop your monster hands, be ready to fold them on uncomfortable postflop for you.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting article, it addresses a problem i have been thinking a lot about the in the latest months. It is good to see the pro and con listed.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on my position, will, early on, determine my slow play style. UTG with AA I will always 3 bet and as time goes on I may 4 or bet if a 3 bet does not eliminate a majority of the field.

All depends on my position and if the table is aggressive.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
To be honest, my experience with slow-playing sucks big-time. Whenever I flat-call the original raiser, he flops trips, straights, flushes, you name it.
On the other hand, the article attacks the topic straight on.
If odds pan out, it could be profitable.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
by letting the timer count down.
I see this often at micro stakes and have been guilty of it myself when at a vulnerable stack size.
Was thinking recently while watching the excessive tanking going on at the Main Event bubble.
Main Event blind levels are very long compared to events I play (lol) but it got me thinking - does it benefit to utilize this stall tactic?
Pre bubble the players who are short are at push/fold and the orbit times turn into a crawl.
The bust out numbers surely slow down, but the blind level does not. It continues at it's steady pace. So it's an interesting aspect to consider, is it a benefit to slow play the play timer when the blinds essentially make a short stack half worth when it raises, vs. hoping other players bust out?

Another tactic to consider is to slow play the turn timer as a medium to large stack. Effectively making the short stacks worth even less as the blinds increase.

However my thought is more hands per minute equal more chips I can collect, so the last suggestion is something I have not utilized.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think all moves are + EV. It all depends on how the table looks. The secret is to execute on time!

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Excellent article, an exciting theme for the development of your game. Often this misapplied strategy, either preflop or pos can end your tournament, meaning a good hand can turn into something castratic.

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it all depends on the situation. It seems to me that if you have a very strong hand from the flop, you can play slowly! In other cases, I would not recommend it!

O

Ovinetrix

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like slow playing AA, KK, QQ.
3-bet, flat call, fold or squeeze, etc.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Great article! I love slow playing/trapping aggressive opponents when I have monster hand...but, not all big hands work great with slow playing...

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great article! I love slow playing/trapping aggressive opponents when I have monster hand...but, not all big hands work great with slow playing...

In my opinion, at the stakes you are most likely playing, slow playing preflop is totally unneeded fancy play. By far, the biggest mistake most lower limit players make is calling too often preflop. Why deny them their chance to make this mistake? Raise, 3 bet, and even 4 bet if appropriate pre, you will get your action far more often than not. In the long run, plying straight forward and agressive preflop with your premium hands makes far more money than trying to get clever and trapping. And at the lower stakes, it makes a HUGE difference over time.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice piece, though it doesn't address that it's more effective in cash games than tournaments.
Players in tournaments are more cautious than cash regs, so the play often backfires more.
Slowplaying is about seting up for large pot, when you're in a hand with an agressive opponent.
But if you can't get the money in preflop, then you have effectively forced yourself to continue with the hand very weakly, if the flop comes unfavorably.
It would be best used tournament wise in near bubble situations, where doubling up would place one deeper into the money ladder.

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

good article, the slow game is perhaps one of the tournaments where you have more patience, and especially that you can have the opportunity to play only premiun cards and it gives you the advantage that if you raise your stack, you can be a bit aggressive in the table and the best you have a chance to reach prizes, slow players I think they are not very aggressive than fast turbo players

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow playing with monsters is a very tempting situation to be in........ be guarded though..... your monster is only a winning monster as long as someone else doesn’t beat it. Make sure you don’t get caught out by some lucky draw or trips that out do you. It’s always worth thinking your strategy through before you slow call and making sure you know how the other players before and after you play and your relative position is all important. Watch out for people doing it to you and learn from what they do when they do it and how. We’ve all been there and been victims of slow play. Learn from others and exploit them.

Another great article, thanks CC.

BB

M

Mohamed reda bouzzroud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate slow playing, it's always better to 3 bet and get full value from your hand.

I totally agree with you I may slow play after the river if I'm pretty confident with my hand, and maybe limp a little if I feel that the opponent has a smaller pair to make him bet even more

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love the slow game. When you catch players with a good card you get a lot of fun, but you have to look at who you play against and be careful.