Slow Playing Preflop: When and How to do it

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my practice, the opponent's slow play betrayed his strong hand. I used a slow game rarely when I got into a weak card and wanted to see the whole Board for cheap

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never apply slowplay restrained against tight players. They will not attack you without a card on hand. And when they have a successful combination in danger you yourself

W

wengz2002

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believed Slowplay works well against aggressive players, but doesn't work on tight players.. And many times I get burned, with my slowplay… Ex: I got AA preflop, but end up losing to a flush/straight/2-pair..

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the position, we can apply a flat Call giving the initiative to an aggressive player to increase profits. But never play flat call, if you close the trade in multipot, not to bury the equity of your hand

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Good advice to play slow, when it is convenient to do it and when not; if we do it well it is profitable; But sometimes you have to squeeze when the table starts to get ugly, so as not to give the opponent more rope.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only time I'll be sure to slow a monster is if I know for sure that there will be action on the flop, otherwise it's almost always a bad idea to do so, e.g letting them catch, not getting value, giving up equity etc

Ш

Шахрухбек

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only situation when I slow playing is when I in SB position and I know that in BB is not a fish.

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
After losing so many times with preflop raising/shoving with monster hands , over that past years ... you finally learn , not to raise/shove with AA, AK, etc.
I would rather do a small raise , and see who calls and even just call, check as I wait and see what the flop is - I will callif someone raises - to keep in the hand to see the flop . I have actually folded AA, KK etc. especially if the flop comes out as suited , or obvious straight with small cards that I have no chance with .
3 of a kind no matter if A's will not beat a strait , flush etc. !
So , slow play it is for me :)

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good article with all aspects well covered.Trapping may be 1 form of slow playing but i also refer to slow play as getting deep ITM by letting the timer count down...if it upsets others at the table it ups my chances and often it feels like the only way online.Slow playing monsters is ideal for trapping serial 3bet c-bets hehe gotta love it.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
great article,guess I'd better stop being that aggressive three better the gigs up;)

SASSOD

SASSOD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
el novato

hello to my little experiment we slow play preflop is bad because it gives margin to limp players or more players with marginal hands, then I decide to 3bet hands monster and then preflop if I connect play slowplay but no chances I do not like much to come several players and not players that come only meaningless to try their luck

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to slow play, to me it works because im not an aggressive player. and i like becuase it keeps the pot small and if my hand doesnt hit i can always bluff or fold!!! it really will depend on the table.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good article! lots of things to learn about it I mostly agree with it... in my experience slow play works more with agressive players those who can wait for you to check (show a little weakness) so they jump in with a pot bet I tend to balance my check call range with medium hand and nuts I think this way you can get the most value of this situation ... of course is poker you always have to adjust your decisions to your rivals but in general I don't slow play that much only against specific players

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it more when I have a shallow stack and when the players left to act are very aggressive.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I usually do not slow play, but when I do it, is when I think the opponents will easilly fold. Another situation for slow play, is when I try to set a trap! Generally I usually slow play when I want to cover or hide my cards.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to slowplay hands postflop rather than preflop. Need to keep in mind what are you slowplaying. Let's say slowplaying weak flush or set on a 789 monotone board is pretty risky. Also, need to avoid over-slowplaying. Where you know that board is getting dangerous but you still slowplaying. This costed me a lot of stacks. Find a good balance in these situations.

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I aint got time to slow play, I am trying to get my money in the middle and win, either you in or your out, lets do this.

I came to gamble, not stratagize. Either we gambling or we just kidding ourselves!

I just want to know when to hold em and when to fold em and when to walk away!
Slowing playing at any time can be a risky move, particularly pre-flop, but there are times when it can be a profitable play. We take a look at the various slow-play strategies in our article: Preflop Slow Playing

In this article we take a look at:
  • Pros and Cons of slow-playing
  • When and when not to slow-play monsters
  • Flat-calling with a re-raise
  • Big blind slow-play
  • Countering Aggressive 3-Bettors
Read the article and chime-in here with your thoughts!

preflop-slow-play-aces.jpg

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I aint got time to slow play, I am trying to get my money in the middle and win, either you in or your out, lets do this.

I came to gamble, not stratagize. Either we gambling or we just kidding ourselves!

I just want to know when to hold em and when to fold em and when to walk away!

Lol I Like You Take on it... With what I've read on the article linked from this Thread I see lots of truths or am reminded of game play I've seen over and again... it does all come down to either you got it or you dont... slow play is about getting as much buck for your bang as you can...

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We shall meet in the CardsChat freerolls and becimb rivals like Phil Helmueth and Daniel Negreanu. You will.be Daniel and I Phil and you can say how did you call a raise and play like that...LOL

Lol I Like You Take on it... With what I've read on the article linked from this Thread I see lots of truths or am reminded of game play I've seen over and again... it does all come down to either you got it or you dont... slow play is about getting as much buck for your bang as you can...

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
awesome article! but I just don't like slow play I or is hard for me i don't know hehe I think is pretty obvious for my opponent when I'm doing it hehe... also is very tricky move you have to be very careful and pick good your targets

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of information, can draw one conclusion from the article 100% working - it is not necessary to invent anything against an unknown player. Before you do something with your hand you need to have quite a lot of information. In the presence of XM2 and similar programs it is much easier, but what do the players say to Patypoker probably hard to write a kilometer-long notes.

AndreyMav78

AndreyMav78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great article. Helped to systematize information about the principles of the game in the long. For myself, I understand that it is advisable to play in long only weak hands. Such hands as AA, KA, KK are better to go straight to all in, otherwise there is a high probability that the opponent will be able to realize weaker hands.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Our doing was totally wrong. whenever skirt with AA pre-flop I did not like to bet out let my opponent bets to then try to raise the pot,

C

Cesum Pec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow play? It depends...

In my home poker room, I have a rep on the 1/2 NL tables as being very aggressive. My raises get no respect. There is usually no reason to slow play. On the 2/5 table, I'm less aggressive because there are several players way better than me.

Last time I was in Vegas, I was getting beat up by players way more aggressive than me. I was on a very deep stacked 1/3 table. I had to fold post flop even after I had big raised pre-flop, because even my big pre-flop re-raises were getting 4 or 5 callers. Very often I was having to decide if my over pair or top-top was worthy of calling off my entire stack. My confidence was low.

So I went in my shell, played super tight, didn't reveal my strong hands with a raise. After an early position raiser opened for 7X, he got 5 callers including myself with QQ in the cut off. I didn't want to blast the pot and win $100, I wanted to win a big pot. I flopped top set with no open ended straight draw or 4 flush. I watched a $100 bet, call, and re-raise to $450 in front of me and only called, with one caller behind, making the pot ~$1600

Obviously they were suspicious of my call, but 3 of us saw the turn which did make straight and flush draws a possibility and might have completed a gut shot straight. There was a $500 bet, a fold and then I re-raised all in. He only needed another $450 to make the call, but he tanked and folded. I made $1600+ profit on the hand which made me profitable on the day. The $500 bettor packed up his chips and left an unhappy camper. He must have had nothing but air, thinking he could get me to fold anything.

Was my slow play risky? Yep. I think it was worth it and I was willing to give up the QQ post flop if I didn't connect.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow playing can be very scary and I prefer to do it with monster pocket pairs, since it is easier to know where one stands.

Despite this disposition, I am experimenting with varying my game and will share my slow play adventures with you guys. After looking at my play, feel free to let me know how I could have improved the play of the hand.

Usually, I would go with the standard 3 x BB + 1 BB per limper but braved things out.

See hand #1 here

One thing I have noticed so far is the smaller bets and bluffs make it easier to see the hand through. If I have done the usual play, then villain would have to make his bluffs bigger and I would be inclined to believe him.

Waiting to hear from you guys.