Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Slowing playing at any time can be a risky move, particularly pre-flop, but there are times when it can be a profitable play. We take a look at the various slow-play strategies in our article: Preflop Slow Playing

In this article we take a look at:
  • Pros and Cons of slow-playing
  • When and when not to slow-play monsters
  • Flat-calling with a re-raise
  • Big blind slow-play
  • Countering Aggressive 3-Bettors
Read the article and chime-in here with your thoughts!

preflop-slow-play-aces.jpg

D

davidalyn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on my position, will, early on, determine my slow play style. UTG with AA I will always 3 bet and as time goes on I may 4 or bet if a 3 bet does not eliminate a majority of the field.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well actually my worst experiences in poker have been slowplay, once I lost with poker of 4444 on the flop for do slow play, the worst thing you can do slowplay is when there are many players in one hand, it is advisable to make a play with a player or two maximum, or do it when you have an unbeatable hand on the flop, it's not my style to do slowplay ever, always I play aggressive to minimize risks

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Depending on the situation is valid. The slow playing is one of the strategies that every player would like to improve, however, it is seldom that they have the desired effect. The point is that applying this technique against any player is a mistake.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me slow playing is bad but it can be profitable with an LAG player or players at the table.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for the article, it has helped me a lot, to know when and where, it should be played slowly.
I think the best situation for slow play is if you have a very strong hand on the flop, and if the flop is dry, you could play slow to let the villain connect something in the following streets, or let him try bluff.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
In general slow playing is over rated and over used by players that is why most get in trouble with it. To be used effectively you must have the right table image, the right stack size, the right board and most importantly be faced with the right opponent. Sometimes slow playing can be really polarising and can be used as a tell that the better players will take advantage of.

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it can be interesting against aggressive player (but not much or he will think why you so easy call his raises), absolutely useless against tight player. In all other cases it looks more like lottery.

Last edited:
jappchop

jappchop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good morning I use to slow roll a lot but now im finding if I slow roll a player its giving them time to catch up if I do and then the river is a coin flip :mad:

D

dungnc284

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow play will help you to lose, lol

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slowplaying, not something I prefer, I have used this especially when another player is continuing doing this, In most situations after 5 + hands that player will adjust.. If I'm running good, i will sometimes slow play a bad hand to try and disguise myself as holding an folding a hi pair on a KQ* flop while having nothing

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow playing never ends well for me.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tas always TY for the great content CC.
Personally I only slow play when I face and uber agro oponent. people with check buttons and fold buttons can either get thre with a runner-runner draw, maybe 2 pairs... stuff like that so you are throwing away your equity, but uber agro 1s... they are your people =)
1 mistekae I see alot of players make is not being able to discriminate between mosters and just strong hands. Often ovber payed ppoker AA or floped set get into trouble beaucse of fancy slowplaying.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow preflop drawing a strong hand makes sense in certain situations. In addition, you must take into account the villain’s style of play, as well as (equally important) how the villain sees your own style of play.
For example, if you usually aggressively play your monsters, and the players at the table know this well, then it is very likely that you will not be paid. Everyone will just fold, and get stolen blind people instead of doubling their stack. This is not a bad game, but much less than what you could get.
At the same time, you should avoid multiple pots. You can lose with your premium hand even against one villain, but against a few, your chances are fading away.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow playing only against known opponents, from whom I can expect to see some large bets post-flop, some bluffs etc.

When I get monster hands OOP I sometimes go for a bet-call strategy which consider to be slow-playing pre too. The reason is same as above, knowing players and knowing that I will be able to get more value by calling instead of 4-betting and making my opponents fold worse holdings.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I slow play rarely preflop. I tend to play a lot of hands and when the players at my table realize it. He does not hesitate to pay me my 3 or 4 bet preflop when I touch my AA. I do not like giving free cards and I always try to have the least possible player in a spot especially when I have a good hand. on the other hand when I'm close to the bubble or I can anticipate the move (bet) of some of my opponents. I do not hesitate to slow play and hide my hand.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Playing "slow play" preflop ... will always be a risk .... if I have a strong hand I prefer to play it aggressively and at least win the blinds ... and not end up losing all my stack of chips

ChipWinged

ChipWinged

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really I didn't know preflop slow playing is possible. In my opinion flop is important part of building your hand which can flip down your hand even you have monster.
BTW assuming it I can say it can be profitable. Seriously you limped preflop with for example AA and then you caught set of Aces on flop. Position is yours :) You can continue slow play or raise depending opponent's style.
I've written this post right now and I've understood preflop slowplay is useful thing! :D

K

kney

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually run very bad when I slow play big hands pre flop.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Good article!

I also think that slowplaying has been overused by players and specifiically from newbies, because they think that through this way of playing they are balancing their game......

I agree that inducing aggro moves from overly aggressive opponents is a very good reason to slowplay a monster hand postflop

C

chippyrob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
many many times i have been court out doing this exact thing slow playing my aces or kings and i can say honestly i have lost a good 80% of the time... i like personally since being done over so many times to raise enough for an aggressive lose player to 3 bet and go over the top and then re raise the aggressor big ... i found that if i make my bet just big enough i will always get a bigger 3 bet off the loose player at the table and potentially get re raised massive... the only risk i see myself running into which is also stated in the article is running into short stacks looking to get their chips in to double up off you and knowing stars the way i do sometimes they just seem to win with inferior cards.... just a bit of what i think :)

Robert

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, poker is sure evolving and more tactics to catch players off guard and misrepresent hand strength keep emerging. This is definitely keeping the game interesting and exciting!

I am leaning more to not slow playing monster hands. Although after reading the article, I can see merit in the flat call then raising if you expect a loose aggressive player to bet behind you in middle or late position. It is well worth it looking for such opportunities. I will confess that I have fallen prey to such a tactic and am only now making the connection. I will add this to my poker toolkit.

Great post and unable information.

Last edited:
m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use a few times, but we need to balance our range of limp to do this, otherwise you will be nitied that you will only do this with AA / KK .. so you will win a hand and lose countless tournaments, because nobody else will fall into this .
I believe it is necessary to evaluate the effective stack (depth of stacks), positions to its left and especially who are the blinds.
Poker is a game of people and people play cards in different ways. If you find the vulnerability and sober to classify the scenario as useful for a slowplay, I believe it is entirely valid to apply slowplay.

We should avoid making out of position.