Question about rule of 4 & 2 vs pot odds

N

Noley

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this rule mainly for all-in situations on the flop, to me (I'm no math guy) calculating my outs x2 is more accurate than by 4?

I realize there's more to it, ie. implied odds and whether your opponent will pay u off if you hit, is he capable of double barreling bluff etc etc...I need to learn to crawl before I walk know what I mean.

sample: You have pos in a raise and call situation pre flop. The avg pot is 8bb for arguments sake. On the flop (you have 10 outs) the aggressor bets in to you for 5bb. The pot odds 2.6 to 1 vs my draw: 10 x 4 looks prettier than 10 x 2

I'm asking this question based on unknown opponent, hope someone could enlighten me on this.:confused:

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's more applicable if you're all in. That makes things simple. If you both have chips left then you have to consider implied odds and the odds of you getting paid if you hit and the difficulty of having to make a decision again on the turn if you miss.

A flush draw is 9 outs. Your chance of hitting one of them on the turn alone is 9 in 47 remaining unknown cards, or approximately 18% or 2 x 9. Or if you're at the turn and have only the river to come, you have 9 in 46.

On the flop you have two cards, the turn and the river, to come, so your chances are approximately 4 x 9 or 36%.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator Poker Rules - Poker Games