Pre-Flop Calling Ranges

M

Maurits92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty alright basics article! With MTT's I wouldn't go as far as opening for 5-6x but keep it between 2-3x. With an exception against calling stations you could go a bit larger.

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good article. The position is one of the most important things when deciding to make a call adjusted or not. If you have a speculative hand, you do not want to be dominated from the position since most of the time, even if you connect your project, your opponent does not think to give you the necessary odds or make it easy for you.

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A great article for beginners and not only. preflop is a very important stage of distribution and everything will depend on the size of the bet

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many people said position is not important , but in fact it's very important , for example premium hands if you open UTG 2x or 3x you have to expect a lot of players on flop especially if you get called earlier because now in poker players like to enter big pots even with <20% equity since the cost is pretty low .
Also if you open KJs or KQs early position facing a 3-bet is a disaster spot and it's very confusing that why position is good and sometimes just give up KQs or QJs if it's UTG or even middle position.

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Again a great article to help us to make better decision on the felt.
I play mostly tournament , so all my chips are precious.
Most of time , I will call a raise pre-flop instead of re-raise.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The article brought up some good points but maybe had some dated info as well. Position is the most important factor and shouldn’t just be thought as what is the raisers position and that alone determines my calling range regardless of my position. You should think about your position in relation to the raisers position to determine your calling range. Also factoring in how many players flat in front of you.

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The article brought up some good points but maybe had some dated info as well. Position is the most important factor and shouldn’t just be thought as what is the raisers position and that alone determines my calling range regardless of my position. You should think about your position in relation to the raisers position to determine your calling range. Also factoring in how many players flat in front of you.

When out of position to the raiser, when in a multiway pot, I almost always want to be on his/her immediate right post flop.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting article and precisely one mistake I made today in a tournament was call with A9 off after a re raise by UTG1, my position was SB with a stack of 22 blinds. I ended up putting all in pre flop and the villain presented KK with which I lowered my stack considerably and consequently ended up eliminated with the blind in the next round. It is interesting to see how other pre-flop hands are so powerful against A2-A9. I did not think I was so disadvantaged and I will take it into account for my next call with a hand of this range. Very good article.:damnmate:

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually start very cautiously. I play one table at a time, and I try to get a read on what opponents do (taking notes is good). Once I get comfortable, I try to figure out what ranges others are playing and plan my openings accordingly. When I am patient, I play better position poker...when I am not patient, I might as well mail in my money. Articles like this gives me a good idea of how poker ranges SHOULD work...and these standard plays happen more often in higher stakes than micro, where many players are chasers and win with the most ridiculous starting hands.

J

JRNorris95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that this is a really well written article. One thing that is important to consider when determining preflop calling range however is the type of tournament you are playing. I have seen many people fail because they don't think to take this into consideration. Tournaments where more money is at stake, the preflop ranges are usually incredibly tighter. If your playing against someone who has multiple tournaments running, and the buyin is fairly cheap (especially if there are rebuys), you will see a lot wider preflop range and you should open up your range as well.

K

kingarthurrov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard preflop is 3bb.
If you have great hand increase raise to 5-7 bb.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the initial stage of the tournament, I try to play aggressively making a raise, for example, from QJs, and so on .. But since the middle stage is more tight, waiting for good hands and responding with a folding sometimes with good hands, if too big raise