The Power of Position (Day 1 Course Discussion)

Jonathan Freake

Jonathan Freake

Enthusiast
Total posts
Awards
Today's course topic is about The Power of Position. We have had numerous threads in the forum asking about how important position really is. Now that you have completed Day 1 you know - it is everything.

If you have not yet read Day 1 and watched the video for Day 1 - take a few minutes now to do that and then come back here to discuss it:
The Power of Position

If you have any questions about the different positions on a table, playing hands from each position, or about any of the hands discussed in Day 1 of the ebook or the Day 1 video - this is the place to ask them!

Both Collin and Katie will be available to assist you as well as other members of the CardsChat community.

9dae1d2660dd2f60c20da7b1b7b94550.png

9bae48e8b0b6064ee1698bd2e01bd23b.png
Thanks this is really insightful!

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Total posts
Awards
It was very important to remember the power of position, sometimes anxious or maybe greedy, believing we have a good hand in intermediate positions, we act without thinking.
let's go to day 2

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
AR
Hello Collin and Katie.
First, thank you for taking the time to teach us these much needed poker variants to improve our game.
For work and travel reasons, I will not follow the course every day, but I will try to finish it in the shortest possible time. I've already downloaded the book as well.
Just two questions:
1st If I understood correctly, the range of the table taking a 9-seat table is taken from the UTG right??? In other words, it would be UTG #9 - UTG+1 #8 - MP #7 and so on until reaching BB #1, is that right???
2. See the relative position that I hadn't paid attention to in my game. Suppose I have:ks4: :kh4: in BB and suppose I open UTG with:ah4: :kd4: with 4 bets and none of the other positions match until mine reaches BB.
So using my position I could only call and see the flop, knowing that my opponent is already in UTG postflop.???
So, assuming a flop of:4s4: :7c4: :10d4:, at that point I could happen using my relative position variant to see how my opponent reacts???
Or when I see the flop I already have to take control of my hand???
Those are the questions, thank you and best regards.
Carlos from argentina;);););)

B

Bruno Yudi

Rising Star
Total posts
BR
Hello guys, my name is Bruno, new to the game. Playing for about 3 months or so. Came across the "Becoming a winning player in 30 days" course.
I have a question regarding the first topic of the course: Position is power.
I play micro/low stacks and noticed that people usually disregard position.
So, in micro stacks, is position really power? 'cause in most cases, you're gonna get called.

How to apply the knowledge efficiently?

Thanks.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
So, in micro stacks, is position really power? 'cause in most cases, you're gonna get called.
Position doesn't mean that it's only used in bluff situations.

If you are at the table with calling stations, adapt to it and use fewer bluffs. Instead value bet when you think you have the best hands/good draws and profit accordingly. 😜

Happy grinding. 😁

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
AR
Hello guys, my name is Bruno, new to the game. Playing for about 3 months or so. Came across the "Becoming a winning player in 30 days" course.
I have a question regarding the first topic of the course: Position is power.
I play micro/low stacks and noticed that people usually disregard position.

How to apply the knowledge efficiently?

Thanks.
Hello brother
Position does not mean power, but it does mean that you can have a bigger vision of the game or the table depending on where you are.
For example, the most difficult position is UTG, because at a table of 9 players you start the hand, if you open you have to do it with a good hand because you have 8 players behind you who will act accordingly.
Those who know say that in UTG you have to open minimally with 99 to major and then see how the table acts.
BB is the best position, 1st because everyone at the table plays before you, you can make a correct decision even a bluff or semi-bluff. 2nd because you have the obligatory bet, if you have many limp players at the table, with lousy cards in your hand you can do a quiet check and see the flop, maybe luck is on your side.
To have power is what my friend Andyreas says, it is to have good hands and have a preflop or showdown to make the best hand and maximize it, even getting the nuts of the hand.
In general, the problem you have in the cash tables is that no matter how much position you have, if your opponent was told that you have AA and he has 35 and he is going to beat you, he will pay you in whatever position you are.
Many times the cash tables are very cruel, that's why I generally don't like to play them. I prefer MTTs or SGNs
greetings friend:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:

B

Bruno Yudi

Rising Star
Total posts
BR
Hello brother
Position does not mean power, but it does mean that you can have a bigger vision of the game or the table depending on where you are.
For example, the most difficult position is UTG, because at a table of 9 players you start the hand, if you open you have to do it with a good hand because you have 8 players behind you who will act accordingly.
Those who know say that in UTG you have to open minimally with 99 to major and then see how the table acts.
BB is the best position, 1st because everyone at the table plays before you, you can make a correct decision even a bluff or semi-bluff. 2nd because you have the obligatory bet, if you have many limp players at the table, with lousy cards in your hand you can do a quiet check and see the flop, maybe luck is on your side.
To have power is what my friend Andyreas says, it is to have good hands and have a preflop or showdown to make the best hand and maximize it, even getting the nuts of the hand.
In general, the problem you have in the cash tables is that no matter how much position you have, if your opponent was told that you have AA and he has 35 and he is going to beat you, he will pay you in whatever position you are.
Many times the cash tables are very cruel, that's why I generally don't like to play them. I prefer MTTs or SGNs
greetings friend:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:
Thanks my friend! happy grinding!

B

Bruno Yudi

Rising Star
Total posts
BR
Position doesn't mean that it's only used in bluff situations.

If you are at the table with calling stations, adapt to it and use fewer bluffs. Instead value bet when you think you have the best hands/good draws and profit accordingly. 😜

Happy grinding. 😁
Thanks for the explanation. Happy grinding for you too!