The Power of Position (Day 1 Course Discussion)

Jonathan Freake

Jonathan Freake

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today's course topic is about The Power of Position. We have had numerous threads in the forum asking about how important position really is. Now that you have completed Day 1 you know - it is everything.

If you have not yet read Day 1 and watched the video for Day 1 - take a few minutes now to do that and then come back here to discuss it:
The Power of Position

If you have any questions about the different positions on a table, playing hands from each position, or about any of the hands discussed in Day 1 of the ebook or the Day 1 video - this is the place to ask them!

Both Collin and Katie will be available to assist you as well as other members of the CardsChat community.

9dae1d2660dd2f60c20da7b1b7b94550.png

9bae48e8b0b6064ee1698bd2e01bd23b.png
Thanks this is really insightful!

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It was very important to remember the power of position, sometimes anxious or maybe greedy, believing we have a good hand in intermediate positions, we act without thinking.
let's go to day 2

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello Collin and Katie.
First, thank you for taking the time to teach us these much needed poker variants to improve our game.
For work and travel reasons, I will not follow the course every day, but I will try to finish it in the shortest possible time. I've already downloaded the book as well.
Just two questions:
1st If I understood correctly, the range of the table taking a 9-seat table is taken from the UTG right??? In other words, it would be UTG #9 - UTG+1 #8 - MP #7 and so on until reaching BB #1, is that right???
2. See the relative position that I hadn't paid attention to in my game. Suppose I have:ks4: :kh4: in BB and suppose I open UTG with:ah4: :kd4: with 4 bets and none of the other positions match until mine reaches BB.
So using my position I could only call and see the flop, knowing that my opponent is already in UTG postflop.???
So, assuming a flop of:4s4: :7c4: :10d4:, at that point I could happen using my relative position variant to see how my opponent reacts???
Or when I see the flop I already have to take control of my hand???
Those are the questions, thank you and best regards.
Carlos from argentina;);););)

B

Bruno Yudi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hello guys, my name is Bruno, new to the game. Playing for about 3 months or so. Came across the "Becoming a winning player in 30 days" course.
I have a question regarding the first topic of the course: Position is power.
I play micro/low stacks and noticed that people usually disregard position.
So, in micro stacks, is position really power? 'cause in most cases, you're gonna get called.

How to apply the knowledge efficiently?

Thanks.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
So, in micro stacks, is position really power? 'cause in most cases, you're gonna get called.
Position doesn't mean that it's only used in bluff situations.

If you are at the table with calling stations, adapt to it and use fewer bluffs. Instead value bet when you think you have the best hands/good draws and profit accordingly. 😜

Happy grinding. 😁

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello guys, my name is Bruno, new to the game. Playing for about 3 months or so. Came across the "Becoming a winning player in 30 days" course.
I have a question regarding the first topic of the course: Position is power.
I play micro/low stacks and noticed that people usually disregard position.

How to apply the knowledge efficiently?

Thanks.
Hello brother
Position does not mean power, but it does mean that you can have a bigger vision of the game or the table depending on where you are.
For example, the most difficult position is UTG, because at a table of 9 players you start the hand, if you open you have to do it with a good hand because you have 8 players behind you who will act accordingly.
Those who know say that in UTG you have to open minimally with 99 to major and then see how the table acts.
BB is the best position, 1st because everyone at the table plays before you, you can make a correct decision even a bluff or semi-bluff. 2nd because you have the obligatory bet, if you have many limp players at the table, with lousy cards in your hand you can do a quiet check and see the flop, maybe luck is on your side.
To have power is what my friend Andyreas says, it is to have good hands and have a preflop or showdown to make the best hand and maximize it, even getting the nuts of the hand.
In general, the problem you have in the cash tables is that no matter how much position you have, if your opponent was told that you have AA and he has 35 and he is going to beat you, he will pay you in whatever position you are.
Many times the cash tables are very cruel, that's why I generally don't like to play them. I prefer MTTs or SGNs
greetings friend:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:

B

Bruno Yudi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hello brother
Position does not mean power, but it does mean that you can have a bigger vision of the game or the table depending on where you are.
For example, the most difficult position is UTG, because at a table of 9 players you start the hand, if you open you have to do it with a good hand because you have 8 players behind you who will act accordingly.
Those who know say that in UTG you have to open minimally with 99 to major and then see how the table acts.
BB is the best position, 1st because everyone at the table plays before you, you can make a correct decision even a bluff or semi-bluff. 2nd because you have the obligatory bet, if you have many limp players at the table, with lousy cards in your hand you can do a quiet check and see the flop, maybe luck is on your side.
To have power is what my friend Andyreas says, it is to have good hands and have a preflop or showdown to make the best hand and maximize it, even getting the nuts of the hand.
In general, the problem you have in the cash tables is that no matter how much position you have, if your opponent was told that you have AA and he has 35 and he is going to beat you, he will pay you in whatever position you are.
Many times the cash tables are very cruel, that's why I generally don't like to play them. I prefer MTTs or SGNs
greetings friend:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:
Thanks my friend! happy grinding!

B

Bruno Yudi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Position doesn't mean that it's only used in bluff situations.

If you are at the table with calling stations, adapt to it and use fewer bluffs. Instead value bet when you think you have the best hands/good draws and profit accordingly. 😜

Happy grinding. 😁
Thanks for the explanation. Happy grinding for you too!

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, position can determine if you raise or fold with the same two cards. If I were Under the Gun with Ace Jack the correct move is to fold, and with that same Ace Jack if I were on the button and the pot has not been raised I should put in a raise. Does that go to say that in some situations position is more important than the cards you have?

houcineben10

houcineben10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
First course done, I Read the day 1 lessons, then answering correctly to the question in the book it was so cool to take part of a poker lesson.
And after that I watched the video and respond to the question. Position is so important, personally I will say under the gun for the first player to play then late position for the UTG+1. Middle portion for MP and Low jack (it's hard to remember exactly where was the player at the table when u have to explain a hand 15 minutes after the hand ended in a live event). Then I will say late position for HJ. And I will say Cut Off fo the CO cause it's easy to remember in a poker table it's the player before the dealer.
From my little experience the most popular terms used are Under the Gun, Late Losition, Middle Position, Cut Off, dealer, small blind and Big Blind. But Low Jack and Hi Jack are so cool words to pronounce. XD
Also Relative position is a concept that I doesn't know about, cool stuff.
I think I have the capacity to do the second Course today, thanks a lot Cardschart for what you have done for the PokerCommunity around the World.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Position, fundamental and indispensable theme in poker, great start to the course, thank you very much to everyone who makes this site a global poker community, congratulations to the founders, moderators and adminstrators.

Joseph Nobbs

Joseph Nobbs

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hello again lol I have decided to go back to the beginning and study this course again. As the first time I did watch it but not really like took notes. Blah blah blah. But this time round I have found it a lot more interesting, where you've got the MP1. now I'm starting to learn the names of the positions where before. I was like taking it in but it wasn't registering, if that makes sense, but relative position i.e L.O Is very important because if you are under the gun forced to. You play tighter positions. On the button two players that can fight back.

Sash_XXL

Sash_XXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Today's course topic is about The Power of Position. We have had numerous threads in the forum asking about how important position really is. Now that you have completed Day 1 you know - it is everything.

If you have not yet read Day 1 and watched the video for Day 1 - take a few minutes now to do that and then come back here to discuss it:
The Power of Position

If you have any questions about the different positions on a table, playing hands from each position, or about any of the hands discussed in Day 1 of the ebook or the Day 1 video - this is the place to ask them!

Both Collin and Katie will be available to assist you as well as other members of the CardsChat community.

very nice e-book and you are so right how important position is. I'll keep reading now :) Thank you for this great book and the videos.

Best regards :)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very nice e-book and you are so right how important position is. I'll keep reading now :) Thank you for this great book and the videos.

Best regards :)

Glad you are enjoying the course!

Paligyerek

Paligyerek

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool video course! I started to understand how important is your position. I'm at day 6 rn and I learned a lot, keeping it up.

98nairdamara

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the course , very useful information , good luck to everybody!

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips

The Power of Position

Good evening Dear Debi, I started reading and watching the 1st lesson video. Pretty interesting and easy to understand tutorial.
So, as it took about 10 minutes to watch 1 lesson "Strength of Position" on the video (not including reading the electronic version of the lesson), I had a question:
- Will I receive VIP points if I pass several lessons at once (No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3) and so on in one day? Or do I have to watch only 1 lesson every day to get VIP points?
Therefore, 1 lesson is one day, 30 lessons at least 30 days? Or can I complete the entire course in fewer days?
Sorry if I asked a strange question for you:giggle::giggle::giggle:

L

Laacis1408

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

The Power of Position

I try to call more often than not a lot if it doesn't cost me much, to see the flop, no matter where i sit. In the long run that is the mistake then?

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Hello! I would write this post for those who do not read the tutorial, but look at the comments on the forum. I am only writing the most important thing, which is the lesson from the chapter of the tutorial!

Chapter 1
(Power of Position)

This chapter is about the advantages and disadvantages of the position.

Early position

The first player to the left of the big blind can act first, i.e. he is under the gun. Depending on the size of the table, this and the next place are called early positions, and they are the most difficult to play, as you absolutely do not know what the others will do. Therefore, it is advisable to enter from this position with strong hands, e.g.: AK, AQ, AJ, or TT from pair up .

Middle position

The next couple of seats are relatively good, because from here we can see the actions of those in front of us, so we can calculate better.

Rear position

The back positions (the cutoff and the button) are the best seats in poker, because from these places we can watch the actions of all the players in front of us and make our decisions based on that.

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
thank you. At first I was not serious about the course. Today I watched the first day and decided to take the course. Thank you for your work !!!

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Thanks Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier for first course day!

On my routine of gaming positions just dont work, all players are crazy, playing with T9s UTG, going all-in with 43 off lowjack (mp1), but good to know. For me, playing with positions just makes everything more simple and easier.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Power of Position: page 9 of the book

Playing a Hand from UTG:

Eight possible remaining players can have a strong hand to fight back with. You will usually be out of position against them post-flop.”

Most of times we open raise (raise first) to play in position. When we do open from EP (UTG and MP) we expect to get calls from the players in the blinds (SB and BB), but as the example illustrates, it is very hard for a full-ring table for there are still 6 players ahead to speak before the blinds. At a 6-MAX table there are only 3 players remaining before the blinds.
This is huge to understand and put into practice, because position is directly related to ranges and equity: we are not going to open raise a wide range from EP, because many times we are going to play out of position, so our most tight range comes from UTG, for we are not going to realize our equity so often.

However...

Playing a Hand on the Button:

Only two remaining players can have a strong hand or choose to fight back. If either one calls, you are guaranteed to have position against them post-flop.”

On the Button we are going to have our most wide range, we are going to play more loose, because there are only two players remaining to act and if they call or 3-bet, we do have position! We are going to play more hands from the BTN because our equity will realize more times than in any other position. Many range charts will state that we can play even 50% range of BTN! (For Cash Games), and in tournaments, depending on the level of blinds and the stack sizing, as much more deep we are, wider our range, and sometimes players will be safely opening 80% range of BTN, or even more if I’m not saying anything stupid.
Position is everything in chess and in poker. Most of our winrate/EV will come from playing in position, for position is power.

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Special thanks to CC-team, i started today with lection1 and it was quite good to refresh my poker knowledge with this course!
Playing positions is one of the important basics in poker - playing strong hands in early positions can be very dangerous - in case of more than one villain in late position it is always a walk on a slack line to react first.

S

soldner

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Really good there is this course🤩