The Power of Position (Day 1 Course Discussion)

dipstick2

dipstick2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well day 1 complete is a very important factor one complete,alot of very good information,position isvery important,I know ug,an other expressions,but 1st time hearing hijack low jack.ty both for the info and all poker history

dipstick2

dipstick2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think i understand hijack,tell me if i gettin it.was on 9plyr table I was last position behind dealerwhen was my turn I raised it. they folded/

jybhoy

jybhoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The Power of Position Day 1

Loved reading the Introduction and Day 1 - The Power of Position. Great little Video and I'm glad certain position names were spoken about as everywhere u see a little Chart showing all the Positions 6,9 or 10 Ring...There are always slight variations on the names !! I know it's trivial but when i started reading a few books they were all named slightly different !

I do understand Early,Middle and Late Positions at the table and how your viewpoint on your range should widen the later you are but all in all , a great easy start with a lot more to come.

Thanks very much Colin & Katie

An Impressed jybhoy

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just came across the course.Great idea and realization. I hope to learn a lot from this since I am really struggling with the tournament concepts.Thank you!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think i understand hijack,tell me if i gettin it.was on 9plyr table I was last position behind dealerwhen was my turn I raised it. they folded/

The hijack is two before the dealer but yes definitely qualifies as a later position. Sometimes people refer to this as "late middle position."

Loved reading the Introduction and Day 1 - The Power of Position. Great little Video and I'm glad certain position names were spoken about as everywhere u see a little Chart showing all the Positions 6,9 or 10 Ring...There are always slight variations on the names !! I know it's trivial but when i started reading a few books they were all named slightly different !

I do understand Early,Middle and Late Positions at the table and how your viewpoint on your range should widen the later you are but all in all , a great easy start with a lot more to come.

Thanks very much Colin & Katie

An Impressed jybhoy

Thanks Jybhoy! We agree that the names can be confusing, for example when first-in is always referred to as UTG even if it's a 5-handed table. We're really glad you enjoyed Day 1 :)

I just came across the course.Great idea and realization. I hope to learn a lot from this since I am really struggling with the tournament concepts.Thank you!

Thanks Rdpoker!

dipstick2

dipstick2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ty collin. i,m not a math guy.nevr tried to hard to understand the pot odcame here to cardchatds an all the variables .i,m not great but since I been at cc I,ve learned an read a lot what I doing wrong.the biggest thing I learned was don't chase with your stack.on to day two ty

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ty collin. i,m not a math guy.nevr tried to hard to understand the pot odcame here to cardchatds an all the variables .i,m not great but since I been at cc I,ve learned an read a lot what I doing wrong.the biggest thing I learned was don't chase with your stack.on to day two ty
Don't worry, I never thought of myself as a math person either and I got there :) Good luck with Day 2 :)

P

pablo lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that knowing how to play in position is very profitable when you have already done a good reading of how your opponents are playing your hands.

jybhoy

jybhoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The Benefits of Aggression - Day 2

Woke up 5am and completed Day 2. This is a massive area for me as I can be far too aggressive especially post flop when i have an Air-Ball then when I don't get a fold I remind myself I'm just starting to learn so playing at the Micros which is full of Calling stations and Maniacs !
Actually I found yesterday after registering with GG Poker they give you each day a few wsop satellite tickets with the top 3 winning entry into another Tournament ! Well , the Poker Gods were shining on me as I was 3rd and gained entry to the next level. That was good....Once I'm well drilled I could be a Tournament Crusher !!!! LOL
Lastly the Day 2 video was Brilliant with perfect examples. Day 3 is going to be good as I haven't learned anything about ranges yet but always knew it was vitally important.

jybhoy:D

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Woke up 5am and completed Day 2. This is a massive area for me as I can be far too aggressive especially post flop when i have an Air-Ball then when I don't get a fold I remind myself I'm just starting to learn so playing at the Micros which is full of Calling stations and Maniacs !
Actually I found yesterday after registering with GG Poker they give you each day a few WSOP satellite tickets with the top 3 winning entry into another Tournament ! Well , the Poker Gods were shining on me as I was 3rd and gained entry to the next level. That was good....Once I'm well drilled I could be a Tournament Crusher !!!! LOL
Lastly the Day 2 video was Brilliant with perfect examples. Day 3 is going to be good as I haven't learned anything about ranges yet but always knew it was vitally important.

jybhoy:D

Thanks Jybhoy! And congrats on the satellite ticket win :)

iv_horsemen

iv_horsemen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I'm new to the site and I've been soaking in some much great info that I'm realizing how much, I don't know. Just got through Day 1 of the course... Position!... Blew my mind. Knew of the BTN, SB and BB but didn't know other positions were named.

Is this perhaps the reason I find it easier to play 6 haded over 9 handed. Because the later, "better" positions come around more frequently?

iv_horsemen

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,

I'm new to the site and I've been soaking in some much great info that I'm realizing how much, I don't know. Just got through Day 1 of the course... Position!... Blew my mind. Knew of the BTN, SB and BB but didn't know other positions were named.

Is this perhaps the reason I find it easier to play 6 haded over 9 handed. Because the later, "better" positions come around more frequently?

iv_horsemen

In my experience, naturally more aggressive players tend to enjoy 6-max more than 9-man because they are correct to play many more hands--so it sounds like that fits you too :)

I finally started the course! Yay me! Let's see how far along I get.

I have it now drilled in my head it is not MP+1 but LOJACK! :)
That's awesome that you've started the course! :)

Everytime a player decides to call MP+1 "lojack," a pair of aces actually holds up somewhere out there in the pokerverse :D

H

hanio75

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Collin and Katie!

Thanks for the video.

However, I have a question which sometimes troubled me.

When we are on button or CO position and before us someone on UTG or UTG+1 raises with 3BB+, what should we do when we doesn't have best starting hand? Let's assume it's K10o or Q10o.

I'm asking because in every course it says about late position being looser. And sometimes I met people who raise in early position with premium hands and sometimes maniac who does not have anything.

FYI, I am still on NL2.

hi, I think you 'll should play these hands when you is in midlle position, because of the range position, but if you have a good stack, more 40bb you could pay pre flop to see the flop, but you need to know against UTG and UTG+1 there are one range like : AJ+, KJ+, QJ+ 22+, so this way are strengthes cards, so too depends of the board. You need analise the scenario.
I hope have got help you. Good lucky

H

hanio75

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I'm here starting this course. I have a lot of desire to learn. What I lack is time. I'll try to follow the course schedule. The first class has already learned some news. I think I'm going to expand my knowledge. My English is not very good, so I think I can learn poker and English. Thank you for the opportunity. Thanks for cardschat opportunity

iv_horsemen

iv_horsemen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hoping someone can shed some light. As the table dwindles down, in what order do the positions get cut? And how does that affect who's EP, MP and LP?

iv_horsemen

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I'm here starting this course. I have a lot of desire to learn. What I lack is time. I'll try to follow the course schedule. The first class has already learned some news. I think I'm going to expand my knowledge. My English is not very good, so I think I can learn poker and English. Thank you for the opportunity. Thanks for cardschat opportunity

Good luck with the course Hanio! Don't worry about typing in perfect English, let us know any questions and we're happy to answer :)

Hoping someone can shed some light. As the table dwindles down, in what order do the positions get cut? And how does that affect who's EP, MP and LP?

iv_horsemen

Different people handle this convention differently. At a 4-handed table, you can label the first position the cutoff or UTG. Typically it's best to choose the later position label though. This encourages the right type of adjustment to opening ranges, i.e. if you call the first position 4-handed UTG it gets you thinking in terms of a tighter range than you should play.

So at a 4-handed table, there would be no positions hijack and earlier if we do it this way. There would only be the cutoff, button, and blinds. There would also be no early position and no middle position. Similarly, an 8-handed table would have no UTG, and a six-handed table would start with the lojack and have no early position.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
TY for this 1st day lesson . Position is really very important , I have to learn to play more hands LP and stop limping so much EP lol :)
Sounds like you had a great take away from day one, welcome to the course! :)
A good way to start the course. Nice refresher and reminders to play more in LP!!
So glad you enjoyed day one! Just let us know if you have any questions along the way as you progress! :)

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
your position has a big impact on the game. it can be your biggest weakness or your biggest advantage,
I'm learning a lot with this course, I just have to thank

gabrielcsgo93

gabrielcsgo93

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is very good play in a good position, but sometimes you represents a strong hand tri-beting in a bad position!!!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is very good play in a good position, but sometimes you represents a strong hand tri-beting in a bad position!!!

Yes, that's definitely true.

Keep in mind though that some recreational players may not be analyzing things at this level -- it requires that they put you on a range based on your actions and positions. So against regs, it's a good way to remain unpredictable by doing things like sometimes 3-betting A3s when you're UTG+1 vs a UTG raiser. Whereas at a weaker table, this type of play would usually be spewy!

Mycetism

Mycetism

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some player react differently when raised. I feel like the pot value and your stack size have a big impact on the effect. You can guess some bluff because of positioning too!