Is is ok to fold KK pre flop??

C

CryptoBlood

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shoudnt fold at KK because that is very great hand and it have good chances to win a pot but it happents to lose with KK,that is only unlucky hand.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The way I see it If I recieve KK I brobadly will go always all in preflop if is necessary and more at the early stages and more on a Freeroll you must remember in tournament you will have to take some risks to build a nice stack and have more chance to get the final tables now at a different stage on the bubble or if I'm already ITM but want to get a better price maybe I would risk but the moment you have pocket Kings you just feel powerful xDD :D :D so it wasan't bad at all

Good Luck at the tables!

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, just if you know your adversary and think that his hand is AA.
In fact, most of players just will pay allin pre-flop with AA,KK,AK,QQ, (sometimes JJ,TT) so beware.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
In this circumstance you were quite likely pot committed after the re-raise. On Stars AA v KK is somewhat common.Far less on other sites like 888 or ACR.

You could find a fold if it was bubble time the FT payouts were large and aces would cripple you.Remember any flopped A against an Ax pocket is bad for you also.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
People say that you shouldn't fold AA or KK ever because it's a good guideline for beginners to follow, because to be honest, you should fold them very seldom so you will make the correct play most often by always playing them.
That said, for you to fold KK you need information on your opponent. And that the whole table has been playing cautiosly is not good enough of a read for you to fold KK. You need a specific read on this opponent for you to be able to lay down KK.
I had one of those spots in a cash game recently. I opened somewhere in EP, a tight guy 3bet me somewhere in MP, it folds to me and I 4bet. Not a very good play by me, because when I look over at his stats, he has a 1% 3bet, which means he pretty much only 3bets with AA and KK.
And then he min 5bets. So I'm fairly surprised that I managed to lay it down to the 5bet so quickly. Because I know I was beat, as simple as that. Of course I was mad that I didn't just flat the 3bet, but that's not something that you can let influence your future decision making. Now someone might say that sample size was an issue. I don't remember how many hands I had on him, but well enough to know that a top 2% of hands is the loosest he can be in that situation. So what if he had AK or QQ? He probably didn't. I've gone all-in with KK against many players that had even a 3% or 4% 3bet stat, and they have almost always had AA. All the nits at the micros are not comfortable enough to go all-in with QQ or AK, because I have never seen a nit go all-in pre with anything but AA or KK.
So when I see this nit min 5bet me (which is also a sign that he has AA that doesn't want to scare me away) it hurts, but if he literally has AA a 100% of the time, instead of saying "well, I have KK so I can't fold", try to logically think if he can do it with anything but AA. If he can't, just fold KK (a HUD will help a lot for this, it's very hard to make such a precise read without one).
As for AA, it could be folded in satellites if you know you are already guaranteed a seat if you don't play anymore hands. And also if you see 5+ people going all-in in a hand, your chances to win with AA will go down by a lot. Otherwise you should always get AA all-in preflop if you can, since it's by far the best preflop hand you can get. But be ready to fold if the flop is bad.
To summarize: Never fold AA preflop in tournaments. Fold KK against super nitty opponents that YOU KNOW FOR A FACT only 3bets, 4bets or 5bets with AA or KK.
In the situation you described though, you can't be sure that he wouldn't do it with other hands too, so the money were going in anyway. Well played by you.
This is a call, almost certainly, unless your call would place one of you all-in. Say it was 3x (raise), 9x (3-bet), 20x (4-bet), 31x (min-5-bet)... You just have to call. You are being offered 5:1 on an 8:1 call. Even though you don't have the absolute correct odds, you have 69xbb left behind and will know when you are ahead post-flop. If you hit the set and there is no Ace, you get the stacks in. If you miss, check/fold. You have insanely good implied odds here. With those bets and 100xbb starting stacks, you have like 10:1 ( (51+69)/11 ) odds to setmine.

Slightly larger 3-bet and 4-bet would get more of the stacks in, but if the amount you have to call plus the remaining smaller stack then divided by the amount to call is larger than 8, you have the right price to setmine with perfect knowledge.

If you know, 100% for sure, that they have AA then you can't fold for a min-5-bet without really weird stack or bet sizes.

R

Rodrigonog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I said in another topic now a little KK is a good hand that I would call in almost every hypothesis, until I would go all in with KK, the bubble and the stack question should be evaluated. But generally KK is a premium, very good hand

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If You fold KK in that situation You end up playing no other hand than AA after someone re-raised You ! That's not gonna work...

Milosika1991

Milosika1991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard for anybody to throw KK, you did not have the luck..;)

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The vast majority of novice players can not lose pocket kings under any circumstances, even if the board and ace your opponent shows aggression. The fact of having in their hands the power of the second starting hand "overshadows" their mind and makes them understand that they have bits, and they continue to play the hand to the end, losing in the end, a decent amount of money a pair of aces.
Playing pocket aces and kings, you have to remember that there are a considerable number of hands that can "beat" you on the flop, because if you do not improve to the set, then you will have only one pair. Try to understand each situation and see if you can win on a given board or not.
And do not forget the general rule of draw pocket aces and kings : place your bets and avoid slow-playing with these starting hands. You do not want to give opponents the opportunity to improve and to win your money?

K

koskesh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My experience at pokerstars has been that whenever I have high pocket pair, then it ends up being an action induced pot with one or two more players with premium hands. Best thing to do, specially at freerolls, just call a reasonable re-raise. No need to re-raise or call an all in and risk your tourney life.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are times that I would fold KK preflop, but this is not one of them. Heads up with KK is a great spot. Unless I am playing an absolute NIT ( and most likely even then) I am not folding. If there were multiple players in the pot or they went all in prior to my turn with players left to act would I begin to consider tossing KK.

Infinity Objective

Infinity Objective

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you gave great detail on the entire scenario, so kudos there.

As for being gentle, no ok yes, no definitely NO - Why would you fold KK in a free no cost to you at the rock bottom price of zero, zilch, nada freeroll? Did I miss something here, because freeroll play is on a different spectrum of playing than wsop main event. Two different levels of play, different strategies of play, especially if it was a bottom feeder $10 prize pool freeroll lol. :D Freerolls are typically donk fests. Would of been heeelarious if someone folded KK pre-flop and the all in showed 27 os, how would that of made you feel? Way worst than losing to AA. Oy Vay. :eek:

You're new, try when you're not playing to watch all types of poker play online, from freeroll final tables to heads up high stakes, the biggest tournaments. It's fun, you'll learn, and see at the higher levels the discipline you need to go the distance and succeed.

Last edited:
eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well, I am out of my tourney because my KK lost to AQ. Not the first time this has happened, won't be my last.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK is the second best possible starting hand. Only in extraordinary circumstance should you even consider folding it. If you are on the bubble and you are assured of cashing, and you are up against a sizeable stack such that losing would knock you out or put you on the cusp of busting without cashing, then consider folding. Otherwise, all in all the time.

Chito

Chito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In short, if you’re folding KK pre it’s because your not rolled for the game. It’s just too good.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Before the flop, in most cases I would have played KK all-in! It depends where I play ...

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would live and die with KK pre-flop. If somebody turns up AA, you're probably going to have to pay the man. The only situation where I would lay down KK pre-flop would be some crazy scenario late in a tournament where somebody else had went all-in and there was a caller, and somebody getting put out would be a large pay jump for me. Other than that, I am not worried about AA preflop when I have KK.

M

martin17887

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From what you've said I think the play shows he had AA, you're just calling out of curiosity

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are only a few instances I can fold KK preflop and they involve satellites and huge ladders.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You made right decision,maybe just next time dont go all-in on preflop and you can save some chips or next king will be drawn and you will be a winner.

L

luckybest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say it depends on is going on in front of U if there are several people in the hand and have all called huge bets I'd fold them

Folding in Poker