**Official Micro Stakes Madness 5NL,10NL,25NL Focus Group**

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A question? Is this normal at low micro stakes?

A guy will come in, play a few hands very agressively, show a bluff and then leave?

Has happened a few times today.

Its not the bluffing .. its the fact that they leave straight after..

Richyl2008

Richyl2008

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok first topic I would like to discuss is 3betting sizing pre flop which you guys use.

Say villian makes it 3BB/4BB pre flop what are we 3betting him to ?

I usually go with 3x their initial raise in position and 3.5x oop. Sometimes I'll vary that based on how likely they are to call, and how likely they are to fold. If they are calling like every 3bet, then it makes sense to raise a larger amount to maximize your preflop profits. Also if I'm deep stacked against a preflop raiser, I like to make my 3bets slightly larger, to limit his implied odds against me.

ps.
Those of u who made silver playing 10 or 25NL how much of diffrence did i make in your profits the next month?

I guess it depends what you use your fpps for. If your using them for the 210 fpp sattys to the sunday 200k. You'll have more fpps at the end of the month, so more chances to get tourney dollars. For every 1000 fpps you make at bronze you'll have 1500 as silver. I usually spend my fpps at the end of the month, and place in about 1/3 of them. If you place in them a similiar amount and play 10nl, you might be able to determine that 630fpps= roughly one buyin and if you earn about 1200 fpps a month as bronze on avg. then silverstar is going to be worth about $11 a month to you.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking forward to this thread. I think I can learn a lot.

How many micro players are using Poker Tracker/Hud or like???

Im using PT3 vital for any level of poker if you are serious about it IMO !

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just played 4.5k hands grinding hard today, annoyed with my second session was up 3.5 buy ins and managed to take some beats and ended up -0.5 buy ins. Still ended up +5 BI's for the day though. I had to look lol

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Want to move up to 25nl, but losing stacks bigger than that would make me sick to my stomach :s:

This is really something that you need to get rid of. In your mind, the money on the table should not be real money but chips, and you should not feel bad about the value of loosing a stack, just like you should not feel good about the value of winning one. Stacks that you win and lose are just random noise that hide the real signal that is your long term winning or loosing rate. That long term rate is something you can consider as real money. The stacks lost and won are irrelevant as long as you remain within proper BR management.

Until you develop that state of mind, you're more a gambler than a poker player, imho.

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is really something that you need to get rid of. In your mind, the money on the table should not be real money but chips, and you should not feel bad about the value of loosing a stack, just like you should not feel good about the value of winning one. Stacks that you win and lose are just random noise that hide the real signal that is your long term winning or loosing rate. That long term rate is something you can consider as real money. The stacks lost and won are irrelevant as long as you remain within proper BR management.

Until you develop that state of mind, you're more a gambler than a poker player, imho.

I think that is one of the best quotes I've ever read. Excellently put Belgo. Whether it's $2 on 2NL or $400 on 400NL, the fact remains that you have 100bb on the table and the only concern is getting more chips. An exceptionally hard thing to focus on, for myself included, but if that can be accomplished, then you're on your way.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

+1 and also a fantastic post. You have really developed as a player over the last month or so belgo and really respect your strategy posts and deep levels of thinking you put into each HA and post you make.

Well done sir, hope you move to 200nl soon !

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to win again :(.

****ing january can die for all I care.
Give me back my winning pokahz...

Can't even win at 10nl anymore.
Maybe I should just play 100b deep at 1k nl, it's only chips after all ;).

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just bought HEM SS version. And I'm learning to use it through the help of members like Chuck and C9. So any help with what stats are best in micros and what kind of stats we need to be looking for to exploit other players weaknesses would be great.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got excited when I saw the 'micro' thread. Then noticed it was for NL. Ah well, excitement over. ... ;)

I do micro MTT's and stud, but not NL ring. Good luck with your thread. Sounds like a good idea for the many micro ring players here.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just bought HEM SS version. And I'm learning to use it through the help of members like Chuck and C9. So any help with what stats are best in micros and what kind of stats we need to be looking for to exploit other players weaknesses would be great.
VP/PFR/AGG/3bet%/fold 3bet%/CB/fold CB.
Thats my basic set up atm just try experiment with it and see what your using and what not.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would suggest to keep the HUD clutter free whilst at micro stakes. Sindri's seesm fine, I would possibly add WTSD. Sometimes we get a little carried away with these stats, and have a wagon load of stats that you probably dont need, (says he who has 15 stats on his HUD :()

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, maybe I will do this when I start putting in enough hands at 10nl. Saw you had 4.5k today, that's about how many I play a month. :D

Very nice, run good. :top:

Oh, and I said over 25nl, b/c thats when it would start to be a significant amount in the real world to me, but also that's about when winrate should be expected to slow. It's easy to know you're a winner at 15ptBB/100, but the lower the winrate, the larger the possible downswings, which combines in my mind to make doubt easier. If I don't know I'm a winner at a stake, then I might be gambling, and I want no part of that. That's where having a graph showing steady profit would be reassuring. Maybe I better just spring for HEM soon ;)

im only winning at 5.13ptbb/100 and managed to earn ~$450 this month so far. I think you should definately purchase PT3 or HEM or get them both on trial so you have something. PT3 trial is about 90 days I think anyway

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im only winning at 5.13ptbb/100 and managed to earn ~$450 this month so far. I think you should definately purchase PT3 or HEM or get them both on trial so you have something. PT3 trial is about 90 days I think anyway

If you play 25nl, just buy HEM, imo. Small stakes version only costs 2 buy-ins. will pay itself in no time.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You guys should set up a small group sweat, or even put names up for pairing off to sweat each other. Help each other out guys!

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would suggest to keep the HUD clutter free whilst at micro stakes. Sindri's seesm fine, I would possibly add WTSD. Sometimes we get a little carried away with these stats, and have a wagon load of stats that you probably dont need, (says he who has 15 stats on his HUD :()

Yeah, I have 14 and it can get a little tough to control at times. Mine is set up like this...

vpip/pfr/aggfac/wtsd
steal%/bbfold2steal/3bet/foldto3bet/limpcall
flopcbet/fold2flopcbet/raiseflopcbet/donkbetflop/fold2donkbetflop

I think this is pretty much copied off of belgo's, can't remember. But I'm getting used to it quickly and I use most of the stats quite a bit.

Another thing I would like to add into the discussion, if possible, is the donkbet. I really didn't pay that much attention to it until it was explained to me a while back, but I see this a lot. For some of the better players in micro, I would like to see some hands where we would both fold to/raise donkbets. These always throw me off guard when I'm first to enter pre flop and the board comes out a little hairy and someone tosses a min bet in.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another thing I would like to add into the discussion, if possible, is the donkbet. I really didn't pay that much attention to it until it was explained to me a while back, but I see this a lot. For some of the better players in micro, I would like to see some hands where we would both fold to/raise donkbets. These always throw me off guard when I'm first to enter pre flop and the board comes out a little hairy and someone tosses a min bet in.

i don't know how much it applies to micros, but i've decided to assume that when a not so good villain donks into me instead of waiting for my cbet (i'm always the preflop raiser :D ), it means he has second pair and tries to find out if it's good.

So if I have less than that, I raise to tell him his second pair sucks and then he folds. While if I have more than that, I flat so he gets a chance to test the waters a second time. That applies mostly to dry boards, as in wet boards, there's a good chance villain has a draw and tries to set the price himself.

Not sure yet how true this turns out to be, and of course i'll adapt to weird donkbet% values, but it's a rule of thumb i enjoy lately.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't know how much it applies to micros, but i've decided to assume that when a not so good villain donks into me instead of waiting for my cbet (i'm always the preflop raiser :D ), it means he has second pair and tries to find out if it's good.

So if I have less than that, I raise to tell him his second pair sucks and then he folds. While if I have more than that, I flat so he gets a chance to test the waters a second time. That applies mostly to dry boards, as in wet boards, there's a good chance villain has a draw and tries to set the price himself.

Not sure yet how true this turns out to be, and of course i'll adapt to weird donkbet% values, but it's a rule of thumb i enjoy lately.
I think this sums it up pretty well,excepted that i dont see draws do it much at the micros.
More second/bottom/Underpair(will never understand why some one donks with a underpair)

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Okay, this is what I do also. If I'm good I let him do my betting, and if I'm not I try to scare him off his hand.

But what do you do when villain donks the flop, you call, then he checks on the turn? I really have a problem here, because I will usually toss a small (1/4 pot size) bet out there to try and hook him into check raising, but I usually lose them. Is that the best line? I really don't want to check and give him a free card on the river unless I have the absolute nuts. But if I'm holding TPTK or top and bottom pairs what should I be doing here?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because I will usually toss a small (1/4 pot size) bet out there to try and hook him into check raising, but I usually lose them. Is that the best line?

There's no magical way to get value from a hand when villain has nothing. It's fine.

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this sums it up pretty well,excepted that i dont see draws do it much at the micros.
More second/bottom/Underpair(will never understand why some one donks with a underpair)

Lol what ?
I can't count how many times (in a multiway, doesn't have to be,) pot someone donkminbets 'just to build the pot for when I hit my flush/straight'.

Seriously I see it all the time.
If I have a real hand I raise that flop up making him chase without odds.
Usually if they don't hit on turn they don't like calling a second bet since it's bigger, and they have not improved yet with only 1 card to come.

It's such a weird strategy to donk minbet but I see it happen a lot tbh.