***June Micro Grinder Thread 2NL-25NL***

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah Jurn, in all honesty players at 25NL, and 10NL especially, are not smart enough to pick up on using this concept. I personally have switched to it about a month ago after being a standard 3x raiser from all positions and have seen a huge improvement. I would assume its generally the same for 50NL. Probably missing lots of value. Just my opinion though:cool:

i'm not getting this at all. i would think the opposite raise 3x for value(well from earlier pos. where you got a stronger hand and want action) and 4x from late. i would think you would want more money in the pot w/position. have you ever tried that. dont get me wrong i got an open mind about this. and willing to give it a shot. just really wondering have you tried the other way too?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got it for my Bday, so ill start reading. if someone hasnt started one in a few days I will. Maybe go chapter by chapter or something.

Enty posted something on PNL a month or two ago, I think - maybe Enty could start the thread with that post?

It's really dry reading :p . Chapter by chapter is best I think.

The stuff I'm wrestling with is probably relatively simple - I find that I take a long time grasping stuff that seems intuitive for a lot of you, and I only understand it when I actually intentionally do it - I need that "aha!" moment before it sinks in. Apologies in advance for being dense.

It's only recently that I've tried to think about the kinds of hands I should be playing/pushing/folding in terms of effective stacks. I know I'm overplaying overpairs when effective stacks are deep, for example.

I'm also trying to grasp the idea of varying preflop raises relative to SPR, and failing miserably - with the above discussion of pf opening sizing, seems appropriate to bring that up. I'd been using 4x from all positions, recently started to play 3.5x from CO and BTN, and 4x from everywhere else. I like the ideas from everyone above a lot, and will be trying 4x from UTG and MP, 3x from everywhere else - but I'm curious about the idea of varying pf open sizes to influence SPR - it seems like it'd be exploitable if someone pays attention?

Does being deep influence anyone's preflop bet sizing? I'm turning into a preflop chickens***t when I'm 200BB deep, and an active player on the table is also 200BB deep. Not sure how to deal with that yet - if the other player is super-active, I end up leaving the table, which pisses me off cuz being that deep should allow me to bully the 110BB and smaller stacks...

At any rate, this can wait until the PNL thread starts, looking forward to it :D

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
massive understatement :p

/subscribing to thread

:D

Also shipped in AK in CO vs BB yest, he showed AQ, SHIP! thanks for your help bro!

i'm not getting this at all. i would think the opposite raise 3x for value(well from earlier pos. where you got a stronger hand and want action) and 4x from late. i would think you would want more money in the pot w/position. have you ever tried that. dont get me wrong i got an open mind about this. and willing to give it a shot. just really wondering have you tried the other way too?

Other way around because your range is much wider from late position that if you get 3bet with marginal stealing hands, I mean you can steal with any two cards if the blinds are that tight. Therefore you will be saving yourself a BB everytime you are 3bet off the pot, I think maybe you could get away with 3x standard from everywhere and 4x big hands at 2 - 10NL deffo maybe even 25NL because I doubt that many micros are taking note of raise sizes.

Also was getting abit fed up of 50nl yesterday so I decided to mix 25nl and 50nl. I couldnt believe the difference, 25nl is so much worse than 50nl its unbelievable. People stacking naked flush draws, TPGK on paired boards its so far behind 50nl tbh and I didnt realise or remember it being as bad as it is.
At least I can still beat 25NL at 13BB/100 lol, I was shocked at it compared to 50nl tbh.

Caseace48

Caseace48

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

4x+1 from all positions with Top 10 hands, and wired pairs, sometimes ATC if isolating a fish from position with a high fold to contiuation bet stat. 3x when stealing from the button almost always, unless a blind has a very low fold in the big blind stat and I can extract value with a solid hand.

As for why I like to raise with small wired pairs from all positions. 1) Contiuation bet can represent that you hit a painted/ace high board a well as an overpair to a low board a lot more easily 2) when I do spike a set and lead into the villain, hes much less likely to recognize it. Therefore raising 4x+1 allows for more value IMO.

Been operating at 13BB/100 over 23k hands at 25NL playing this way. Not saying its the perfect style, just an effective one.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sucks I have a bonus valid til mid August and won't be able to clear it playing 10nl :(

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sucks I have a bonus valid til mid August and won't be able to clear it playing 10nl :(

Tell me about it man, i have 900 base fpp's to make by effectively september b/c my bonus is valid until the end of october but i'm going to be in afghan from the end of september :( ..... and at the min i'm playing 2nl lol if i can get to 5nl fairly soon then i have decent shot at making it but it's gonna be close

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Win $$ at 10nl > Move up > Clear bonus.

You have plenty of time.

Are you even working this summer? I hate (read envy) teachers!

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
zomg there is a 80/0 fish with 130bbs at one of my tables and two idiots are trying to scare him away?

Suggestions that won't get my chat banned?

Caseace48

Caseace48

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Say nothing IMO, 1) bc it just encourages the players to continue harassing him, 2) bc usually harassing them makes them stay longer:cool: , especially if they keep sucking out on the people harassing him/her

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
alright. its taking everything i have not to reach thru the monitor and stab someone

haha, the fish just explained why he thought folding preflop was a losing strategy..

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you must talk, just align yourself with the fish. Say things like, "I think we're all allowed to play how we want" or "Hey, he's the one counting your chips".

Deltafrost

Deltafrost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya if your going to say anything defend the fish. That way he feels better when he loses his stack to you and hopefully he reloads and stays in the game!

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just say - 'everyone plays different or 'perhaps he's trying a new style of game' or even 'hey, we were all new once'

btw - where is this fish, name, table etc ;) :D

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sigh... he's gone now. Lost the $13, then re-bought for $8, and lost it rather quickly. Couldn't pick up any cards

ty for the advice though. I was on his side for just a bit and who knows, it may have caused him to rebuy

Last edited:
Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ah, lose one fish, find 2 even bigger ones! at the same table with 300bb stacks! that open for $1+ !

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yey, only 10 BI's from moving up to 5nl :D

Lemly, i searched you yesterday and you were on 10nl tables, have you been running like a god at 5nl or you just being a naughty boy and not practising good brm lol

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand of the day 1c/2c table on Stars QQ dealt :top: & thanks to a non-believing chaser pot = $2.08 :D

F

Falian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Lemly, i searched you yesterday and you were on 10nl tables, have you been running like a god at 5nl or you just being a naughty boy and not practising good brm lol

As you know, 2nl is all about the grind. If you can beat 2nl you can beat 5nl, it's just about getting good BRM. So, I got staked in a few sng's and am just making bank to catch up to you! haha. If you think 2nl cash games are bad, check out micro sngs lol.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand of the day 1c/2c table on Stars QQ dealt :top: & thanks to a non-believing chaser pot = $2.08 :D

You playing cash seriously now Ian?

Nice peel, good work man, you playing FR or 6max?

F

Falian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Peelo plays 6-max from what I can remember.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice peel, good work man, you playing FR or 6max?

6max, decided to solely play 6max and start again from the bottom up, for a few reasons, just to get me used to the (sometimes) brutal swings, generally to really get a good feel for 6max and to tune my game as i'm moving through the levels again.

Cashed out down to $60 from the like $400 that i'd ran up playing FR (not bad for someone who only deposited $100 in feb when i switched to cash games!), and i've been grinding 2nl 6max since halfway through last month, played nearly 9k hands there now and running at 9BB/100 for a nice $32 profit so far :D

Listened to a mediocre poker podcast with that internetpokers dude and he says he used a 20/23 moving up strategy and took 3BI shots at the next level, i'm gonna do this too as when i was trying to move up to 10nl at FR i kept running bad and having a 20/25 strat was too soul crushing when i lost 5BI's at 10nl and then have to make like 10BI's again at 5, the gap between moving up/down is just slightly too big using 20/25 imo, least this way if i run bad again when moving up i'll only lose 3BI's and not have too much work to do to get back up there, meaning i wont be too bothered by it hopefully lol.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hope to try 5nl again today. i figure i need 22 buyins this time.. this is how i do my bankroll for moving up.

1st try 20 buyins drop at 19
2nd try 22 buyins drop at 20
3rd try 25 buyins drop at 21
>3 try 30 buyins drop at 22

so this will be my second shot if i can win 53 cents to roll my second try.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to pop around, sngs or low level cash, sometimes both all depends on how i feel :)

Ah ok I thought you didnt play much, good to see you involved in the micro thread

6max, decided to solely play 6max and start again from the bottom up, for a few reasons, just to get me used to the (sometimes) brutal swings, generally to really get a good feel for 6max and to tune my game as i'm moving through the levels again.

Cashed out down to $60 from the like $400 that i'd ran up playing FR (not bad for someone who only deposited $100 in feb when i switched to cash games!), and i've been grinding 2nl 6max since halfway through last month, played nearly 9k hands there now and running at 9BB/100 for a nice $32 profit so far :D

Listened to a mediocre poker podcast with that internetpokers dude and he says he used a 20/23 moving up strategy and took 3BI shots at the next level, i'm gonna do this too as when i was trying to move up to 10nl at FR i kept running bad and having a 20/25 strat was too soul crushing when i lost 5BI's at 10nl and then have to make like 10BI's again at 5, the gap between moving up/down is just slightly too big using 20/25 imo, least this way if i run bad again when moving up i'll only lose 3BI's and not have too much work to do to get back up there, meaning i wont be too bothered by it hopefully lol.

Interesting and quite a good point about the moving up peel, I dont know how high this strategy would apply because im not sure 20BIs for 100nl would be enough?