LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Unless you are down to 10/12 big blinds, then no hand is allin pre flop. Why risk tourney life in what will be essentially a coin flip.
Ummm.....It's called "gambling". Not everybody likes to "gamble", but many get a thrill from it!

Aleksandr1991

Aleksandr1991

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Pocket jacks are not an easy hand to play. In fact, a lot of players hate this hand. However, it's important to remember that pocket jacks are one of the strongest starting hands and therefore one of the most profitable.

But you should understand when to bet and raise with JJ, and when the best solution would be to fold this hand

C

Cbabycee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
That’s an ambiguous question it depends on a lot of things. Position, where you are in the tournament, how many Bb you have, what you know about the other players. JJ is an easy fold from first position on the bubble when you have chip lead, but if you got 2bb it’s a push

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I will play JJ every time if I can as it is one of the strongest starting hands in the game. Do I play it as unbeatable, hell no. If I have 20BB i play it as it is as I am so short but when I am deep and there is a lot of betting going on jack shrink very quickly and can be a fold pre flop without even putting on chip in under the right circumstances.

jasioo

jasioo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
It depends on whether I'm playing in a tournament or a cash game. If I'm playing in a tournament, it depends on which phase of the tournament it is.
If I play a cash game then it depends on the opponents. If there are many opponents, I only check, if only one, I check whether he is playing loose, tight or standard. if the opponent is playing tight, I only call, if loose or standard, then I push all in

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Playing postflop with JJ is quite difficult, since in most cases the flop will come with an overcard. And this is another reason why you don't need to inflate the pot with jacks, because if you can't call a continuation bet at least in some cases, then the whole play turns into a waste of money.Against weak opponents, JJ becomes a top hand that needs to be played quickly and aggressively.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless you are down to 10/12 big blinds, then no hand is allin pre flop. Why risk tourney life in what will be essentially a coin flip.
why does your stack need to get to a 10-12 bbs before you get it in preflop to accumulate chips?

not saying you need to get it in 100+ bbs deep with jj, but what about 25-40 bbs? it may not be an open jamming stack sizes, but they're good for re-jams / squeeze jams. you can pick up a ton of dead money and you have good equity against most call ranges if you go heads-up, especially since you get to see all 5 cards.

also, even if jj's equity is a coinflip when all-in preflop, why do you wait until your stack is low before your willing to take that coinflip. equity is the same, so odds of you winning / losing are equal, but the difference between losing 10 bbs / winning 20 bbs vs losing 25 bbs / winning 50 bbs is that 50 bbs will get you much deeper in mtts. the risk is still the same, but your overall mtts results will differ as 50 bbs will provide way more options and allow you to 'survive' much longer.

survival in mtts is important, but so is chip accumulation. you can survive a long time in mtts by just folding, but that doesn't really help you. plus, you're not just playing jj, but a range of hands. so, you'll actually be jamming wider with 10-12 bbs. so, you might find yourself jamming a hand with less equity for less chips when you could have gotten it in a hand with more preflop equity for more chips.

anyway, not telling you what to do, just something to think about as you could be severely handicapping your results if you wait until your short stack to play your big hands for max value.

Last edited:
B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Im all in works about 50% of the time

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question. I believe that JJ is a good hand preflop to shove. You are better than 9 other pairs (2’s - 10’s). Only 3 other hands better than yours. Odds are in your favour. I think it’s worth the gamble! 🥳

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Pocket JJ are a 3 bet at most per flop but even that is pushing it,position will also play a part in this decision for me so there a lot to think about.
But everyone plays their own game so i won't give you all i think about it would only confuse you.

ScoobyNL

ScoobyNL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
no, JJ is not a standard hand all in preflop....

Sometimes i raise and player 3 bet then maybe just a call and not 4 bet.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Unless you are short stacked, see aflop and decide from there.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A good rule of thumb is that if you are all-in with jacks, someone will call with ace rag and outflop of worse still river you.
On the other hand, if the other player has the jacks and you call with AK, they will hold up.

Luka22guro

Luka22guro

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you play JJ as if it as unbeatable?
there is no doubt that this is a good strong hand and in a stack of up to 20 bb it calmly goes to the abank and is a strong range for a 3-bet game, but there is no need to overestimate it.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against Cut off and Button ranges, I can 5 bet all in preflop with JJ+ and AK.

Against UTG 4 bet, it's a call.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why does your stack need to get to a 10-12 bbs before you get it in preflop to accumulate chips?

I want to double up, not pick up a few blinds, and not scare people off. I'd much rather entice a 3-bet, rather than shoving from the off.

not saying you need to get it in 100+ bbs deep with jj, but what about 25-40

Biggest mistake I see at the tables, players shoving playable stacks, you are only going to get called by a better hand.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In 90% of the situations I play all in with JJ regardless of the position.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands