Is it ever right to fold AA preflop? :)

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think I ever could, no matter the situation.

R

Rumme1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really dangerous to play against 3 players. But I don't know, I'd probably raise pre-flop and see what happens. This guy must have a third eye, or a crystal ball inside his head, insane. Like the narrator said, if this was a movie I'd said that is unrealistic.

If I was in a final table of a huge tourney and I was in 6th position , and I had to call off all my chips against the chip leader preflop , and the 3rd place and 5 th place chip leaders went all in before me, and I was last to act, I would consider a fold of AA . Especially if the money increase from 6th place to 4th place was 100s of thousands of dollars. I would view this tactical fold, as a practical possibility to make a higher amount of life changing money , without even having to take a GAMBLE..that my AA, could get cracked by 3 other all in players.

We must look at it from a standpoint of the money increase potential for placing higher in the tourney along with knowing that AA in a mutli action pot, all in preflop, is a very big gamble. Folding AA here , and letting 3 other players risk their stacks on a all in preflop gamble, could be a sensible play , if you play poker for the money and not the prestige of owning a bracelet or trophy.

Then again, I do not approach the game of poker like most players. It is not about winning a bracelet or social time or bragging rights that I won a tourney. It is about money first and foremost.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only in the bubble and in satelites.
And that video is no proof that you should do it.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you start to argue, then naverneka you can find situaciju especially on the bubble. But I never do this!)

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold if 3 or more player already all in..

B

Beast modes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly would never fold AA preflop , chances with AA are to big to fold must always open AA.

ollaf

ollaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have more than four players in an "all in hand, " losing probabilties is greater than the odds of winning , regardless of hand. So I always run these hands When I have a media of chips

UpUpAway

UpUpAway

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first I said never, unless your on the bubble, or you have a really good feeling you'll be donked.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
He predicted what would happen. Of course, this player is a god. Greatest fold i've ever seen: "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat" (thin voice) :D

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
AA it is just a strong couple. If this player has `unpleasant` experiences maybe he decided to leave the aces for a while!!

Yermek

Yermek

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lets be honest...In NL hold em...ALL hands are coin flip if you go all in preflop. Once all the chips go all in preflop...all the skill has now been taken out of the game on the flop, turn and river....there is no more betting startegy...no more bluffing strategy , etc. It is now all LUCK .

In other words, any hand preflop, can end up the winner on the river.

The term coin flip , is usually regarded as meaning a 50-50 hand , but the reality is, poker is not like a heads or tails coin and if you play :

AK VS JJ

1000 times , I guarantee it wont work out to each hand winning exactly
50 % of the time...especially if you do this experiment on 1000 different days, a 1000 times each day.

27 vs AA...is still a coin flip hand, all in preflop ...its just that the AA is expected to win much more then the 27...BUT...because of the luck factor, variance in NL hold em poker , there is no guarantee that is gonna happen repeatedly .
Well said :top:

ollaf

ollaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm The Next Bubble and I want Seating at the Awards , sometimes I do not look my hand . kkkkkkk

vita087

vita087

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NEVER...... ITS A CRAZY MAN , NEVER FOLD AA PRE FLOP!!!!!!!!!!!

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember that play from the big game well. I discussed it with some other players, and we all recognized what he had done, but everyone agreed he should at least see a flop. We did some quick calculations and figured he could fold after the flop and still make over 130K. So no, I only fold aces pre-flop if I am so tired of the game I make a fold.

EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on overall position in the tourney, % of stack waiting to be called, and number of players involved. Multi-way pots can be tricky to call, if you're calling with more than half your stack, unless you're heads-up, and/or or in the red zone with 15BB or less. Then, it's a no-brainer to call or isolate. Multi-way pots usually result in flushes, straights, and donkish two-pair hands.

B

Bury

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But at least for me (I've got a bad luck often) AA is not enough. And I lose a game :)

E

Excomm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's possible as many people have mentioned such as when there are 3+ people in a pot and you are covered by at least one of them and you are one or two away from the bubble of a satellite it is correct to fold AA.

It might also be correct to fold AA in a large buy in tournament when you would be forced to call all-in vs. 2+ people that cover you.

I don't believe there is any scenario where AA is behind preflop no matter how many hands are being played even if both of the other aces are dead (though they can come pretty close to even in 6+ handed scenarios). That means you need to decide whether a min cash on the bubble is worth giving up guaranteed +EV.

Zelengorov

Zelengorov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have 6 or 7 all ins preflop before you and u have aces, what would you do?

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a hard decision, but, sometimes when you are holding 2nd in chips, and all-in comes might be a good time to fold.

K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
The cash never,in the tournament so, depending on the situation

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding AA, in all situations except for a specific satellite situation, would be the wrong play.

However, you all have to understand what was going on in the video. Fishman was on a show called The Big Game. Simply put, a player (loose cannon) is staked 100K and gets to play 150 hands in a PL pre/NL post style of hold 'em. After 150 hands, they get to keep any profit they had made and the player with the most profit gets a 50K MTT package deal or something like that.

In the hand Fishman was up 140K in profits and his initial plan was to fold the last 50 or so hands left and keep most of the profits. Blinds were 200/400/100 ante, and 6 handed, so Fishman only had to play ~9 more rotations and pay out ~6300 in blinds and antes, earning him over 130K in profits. And I believed he also earned the 50K MTT package as well.

Was it a crazy fold. Yeah, but I can understand someone who is up 140K not wanting to lose any of it. That's probably life changing money for that player. He came there with a plan and stuck with it, so kudos to him. Was it correct to fold AA there? Well, without being result oriented...I don't know. Part of me says I'd at least call and see a flop. The other part of me might think "In just 50 hands, you're up $130K and you have a $50K MTT package in the bag."

This explanation of alters the essence occurring. In another case, I would say that this is nonsense. Who will throw the AA card just so. Everyone knows that we need a re-raise.

T

TargetLion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there are around 4 or 5 people all-in you could fold aces because your chances would go down and variance could send you home. But with less than 4 people I would just go all-in because you will have the best hand.

You have a right, I agree with this strategy.

Folding in Poker