How will you make 10$ grow?

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This thread is about what to do with $10 not what to do with FTPs, but in the FTP tournies they do make it quite clear that you will only receive a ticket, yes.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow.. yesterday was my day.. I made a couple of dollars in the 150$ freerolls..
I finished in 3rd place.. which gives me 10.50$.. after that.. I made it to the money in razz freeroll.. I made 3$ out of it..
is 14$ a real bank roll? hahaha>-< or should I still continue playing freerolls?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is 14$ a real bank roll? hahaha>-< or should I still continue playing freerolls?

No, but also no.

$14 isn't a real bankroll but like I've said a few times above you may as well just take your shot. Pick your best game and play it at the lowest stakes available until you either go broke or run up a real bankroll.

If you go broke then go back to the freerolls again but while you've got real money in your account you may as well use it. You'll make progress more quickly if you win and you'll hopefully avoid the cancer that is freeroll thinking invading your real money game.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
currently.. From 10$ -15$ .. I'm making progress.. I think My game is texas hold'em maybe less on the tourneys cause it consumes time.. but actually ring games isn't that bad.. just won 4$ quickly. lol..
but I'll try to get to the 20$s today..
I have a quickie question..
do you still stick with your strategy.. even though your opponent switched strategy? cause I experienced this always in ring games

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do you still stick with your strategy.. even though your opponent switched strategy? cause I experienced this always in ring games

You're talking about adjusting to your opponents, right? If so then yes, it's a very important part of the game. Just one example: if you're on the button, everybody folds to you and the two players in the blinds are very tight then you can steal with a wide range of hands. You might need to change that range if one of them catches on and starts re-stealing though.

So in general yes, you want to be adjusting to the way your opponents are playing. I'd be surprised if you actually need to do it much at the mirco stakes though since the majority of players there rarely think about anything other than the contents of their own hand.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Originally Posted by tomines

You havent experienced this.

If you have a $14 BR then you are playing 2NL.

This dosent happen at the micros.

I would give this as the #1 reason that people dont do as well as they should at the micros. They out level themselves.

They believe that their opponent is adjusting, he isnt. Even if he realises he needs to adjust. Its unlkiely he would know how.

Ill tell you what dosent happen. 33/20 types dont play like nits for an hour to exploit you and nits dont lag it up to confuse you. Not a the micros.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So i'll still stick to my strategy? no need to blind steal or something right..
cause if I blind steal .. I'll get .03 cents.. no point?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So i'll still stick to my strategy? no need to blind steal or something right..

If the blinds are folding then you should be stealing.

But that's not really you adjusting to them adjusting to you.

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no need to blind steal or something right..

Please don't say that.

Small kittens die every time someone says blind stealing isn't important in cash games.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ohh .. I completely understand... but I think I'm not that experienced yet to blind steal.. still don't wanna take the risk for now..

Everything's going right for me.. Just won 2$ again from micro cash games..
How will you know (if your the dealer) if it's the right time to blind steal..
can someone give an example?

straytfrush

straytfrush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started out with a $10 deposit and a bagful of dreams. I started out at the 0.01/0.02 full ring no-limit tables. It is possible to grind it up. I currently have something close to $200.

If you are a tournament player, I suggest the DONs tourneys and just play solid poker. If you have a decent ROI and cash at least 70% of the time, you're on your way up.

The initial grind is tough but ride through it and it will slowly become easier along the way.

Wizzem's sit and go thread would agree with me in saying that the 1.20 DON have too high a rake to really ever be profitable in the long run. If you manage to win a few of them perhaps you can work your way to 2.20 SnGs

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally speaking, keep your bet sizing small (2.5bb or 3bb is usually a good standard bet size from the BTN, but I'd recomend 4 or 5 in other positions) and I'd be raising somewhere between 40-70% of the time. Use pokerstove to come up with a range of the top 40-70% and any time you've got one of those hands, it's a good time to blind steal.
I'd much rather blind steal 100% of the time from the BTN even with the blinds knowing this than to raise with less than 40% of hands. Position is king.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what if you got raised 3 times you raised? what's your move?
I've experienced that a lot before

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

try and figure out if villian is raising air or has just got a few hands in a row. i.e. does the constant raising make any sense with air for this type of villian. i.e nits dont do it!

Then lay off for a couple of orbits.

Then back to it or tighten up and increase the raise size.

Possibly flat more in position

Possibly bluff 4 bet.

Possibly move tables

There isnt a single cause of action. You say this happens a lot to you. I very rarely experience people playing back "a lot". Do players fear me? Or do I just table select a bit better?

I just think its more likely to be a run of hands than you running into the only 6 players who play back at you from the blinds.

Oh and I open about 50% of hands on the button and have a 60% steal success rate... you claim you dont steal right now so you open a stronger range than I do.. so why dont people play back at me as much as they do at you?

I really dont think they play back at you as much as you perceive they do.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's because the villain sensed that I will fold all the the time.. It's also because that I have a limited bankroll.. I play tight most of the time.. for now my BR is 16$...I don't really wanna challenge donkeys so much.. I only challenge them If I have a hand that's decent or legit.. Do you suggest that I experiment my gameplay? I play at the lowest stakes btw

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's because the villain sensed that I will fold all the the time.. It's also because that I have a limited bankroll.. I play tight most of the time.. for now my BR is 16$...I don't really wanna challenge donkeys so much.. I only challenge them If I have a hand that's decent or legit.. Do you suggest that I experiment my gameplay? I play at the lowest stakes btw

No I really think tight is the way to go, especially at these stakes. Fold a lot and play decent hands, but you need to steal more blinds because when you dont steal AND you fold a lot from the blinds, you end up losing so much from your own folded blinds that you dont really make a profit. (losses from the blinds are huge so you need to recover some of that when on the btn or co)

Personally I would deposit $100-200 and start playing at 5nl.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's because the villain sensed that I will fold all the the time..

Honestly they are so bad they couldn't sense it if their own chair was on fire.

People tend to level themselves a lot and give vilians far too much credit.

If the villian is good enough to sense your weakness, then why is he still playing the lowest limit possible?

They over value hands so bet light believing its a big hand, but they dont put in raises based on their perception of your range.

If you ask most micros players what range they put a player on at any given point in a hand... usually there will be a long long pause followed by silence, followed by AK! lol

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Stu, I think you are advocating playing tight and attacking blinds, is this also the best strategy for tournaments?

W

wobble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was unregistering from them yesterday and receiving 1 tournament dollar, and unregistering from the BLT for 2.20 tournament dollars.

Thanks for the info. I was indeed confusing cash buy-ins with FTPs.

In that case the DD satellites are a great way to build a tiny bankroll. I played them a lot last year and the play was outrageously loose. Sometimes half the field would go all in on the first hand.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Recently, I just won a 25$ prizepool tourney.. gave me 10$ ..
Any good ideas on how to make it grow??Need help lol

Feel free to post...I would really appreciate it :D
Easiest way, and guaranteed too is to simply "fold it in half" and put it back in your billfold...that way you have immediately "doubled" your money.

Seriously though, I have found the DON (Double or Nothing) 1 table (10 players) SnG (Turbo) on pokerstars to be the very easiest and safest way to build a BR...usually I will play two tables to help overcome the boredom of it all. My best to you, Wally

buzzmania

buzzmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depending what site you won the money at i recently won 5 bucks and i play the 1 buck double or nothing games and am up yo over 16 bucks.lots of good advice from these folks too.

P

pol_92121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can play in the daily dollar or in little big tournament...or try to win the 5$ sat to 200 k doble deuce...

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

At the micros, if someone re-raises you for 3x, you'd probably just take it at face value and assume they have something. These guys typically don't get fancy.

Of course, for a lot of these micro guys, "something" can mean KTo, J9o, A3o..anything that just looks pretty to them.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I think the Daily dollar can help me a lot.. for now I don't have that much time to spend playing long hours in the computer.. so I'm just sticking to SNG's and cash games.. works for me a lot .. I can easily dominate them and get their cash.. but how come I'm sucking at SNG's I lost 3$ to SNGs..

For now I'm kind of avoiding it... cause I keep reaching the 6th place or 5th place.. I always play tight .. but always came up short . any suggestions?

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously though, I have found the DON (Double or Nothing) 1 table (10 players) SnG (Turbo) on PokerStars to be the very easiest and safest way to build a BR...usually I will play two tables to help overcome the boredom of it all. My best to you, Wally[/quote]

Well I only play in fulltilt for now.. cause my computer doesn't work with poker stars for some reason... and the money folding works a a lot.. but people won't accept it :D double or nothing won't work for me lol.. I'm always thinking of losing less and gaining more haha.. thanks for the post though