How will you make 10$ grow?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks a lot I really needed that.. but in low limit holdem.. there's more donks..
I already tried to play over there.. they chase to much.. I just lost a dollar in it :(

Yeah... again, just stick to the games you're good at. If you're not a LHE player then playing LHE is a terrible idea. You might lose more slowly than you would if you were playing NLHE but you'll still lose.

I really can't stress this enough: luck plays a huge part in getting a bankroll off the ground when you've only got a small amount to start with. You'll need to play games you're good at and you'll need to run good in them. There is no magic bullet or easy solution. There's no one game type that's ideally suited to the task.

So don't play the games that other people tell you to just because they worked for them - you have to play the ones that work for you. I've done what you're trying to do, BTW, and I specifically haven't mentioned which games I got the job done with because there's no guarantee that my solution will work for you.

One other thought too: chopping and changing the games you're playing in an attempt to find the magic one that grows bankrolls means that you're not getting any real experience or developing in any of the games you're playing.

Pick one game. Your best game. Play it your best, until you either bust or run up a roll. If you bust, just start over. Ignore what worked for other people.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oz you really come across as a sensible and grounded person, and your advice always seems to be sound. I value your posts. :)

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me be part of the amen corner. Oz's posts hit the nail on the head. Play the game you are best at. Focus on playing your best and the profit will come.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks a lot OZ..and all those guys who posted. it really helped so far..I think ill consider limit holdem..
even though its small .. its slowly but surely :D.. Thanks a lot..
I think I should get a decent bankroll first before I go venture the tables..
cause donkeys can easily dominate me.. I really appreciate all the help guys thanks a lot ..

Aww..about the freerolls..
recently I just played the 150$ freeroll 7500 players..HORSE
I ended up with 40th place.. payed up .90$
I think it's kind of a waste of time.. took me 6 hours to get to the cash..
Is there other way to get some money besides going through 6 hours to get to the cash?
Or is there a faster way to get money without depositing?
It's really giving me a hard time.. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
A

Alwaysrivered32

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm kind of in the same boat. I grinded up to about $10 from free rolls. Then Played a 90 man sng and won bringing me up to about $32. I'm about breaking even playing the .1/.2c 9 man ring games and seem to be doing better in the 1 table sng's. I also play the bigger field tournies sometimes like the dd and the ferguson. Any advice?

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd suggest continue freerolling, then wait until you hit at least 50 dollars to start in 1 dollar tourney/sng.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Agree with OZ, and try grinding it out 50cents to $1 a day.Tried what you are attempting several times and went broke.Since then I have built a bankroll from miro razz and stud8, but it took me 10 months.
Every time I leave my comfort zone I experience a reversal, so stay with what is your best game.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I think getting a decent bankroll is one of the best option before going to the tables.. because any donk can waste a dollar or maybe two with nothing..
I've also lost about 15$ total to donks this week.. I hate them arghh!!
I'm just wondering..how much do my bankroll has to be to join a 0.01/0.02 cents table?

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
500 x BB, but you can blow it quick at no limit

O

onetime

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads up

Yea just go play the ten or twenty $ heads up tables because it's a quick way to boost your bankroll.Just a thought as to a method to improve the bankroll system.I mean you can play the tables at that level but it will take you a while to build your roll.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's just about the worst way to spend $10 bankroll

you got over 30 buy-ins of 30 cent daily dollar satellites. Try multi-tabling many 30 cent satellites. You reduce variance while steadily increase in profits.

I think u gave the correct advice.
Play supertight untill middle blinds and than start stealing. They are verry easy to win and the first and second place gets one tournament dollar to convert in money.
That if he played on FT.

If he played on ipoker i would stick to 1 dollar DON and play it by the book even if buy-in is a litle high for a 10 dollar BR, but at smaller buy-ins is like a donk fest where you have to take too much hard decisions.
Anyway ... smallest buy-in SNG max 10 players.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that's a good idea too.. I am way comfortable in playing in tournaments..cause I don't mind whos my opponent cause they keep on moving tables ..and 0.10 cent buy in's is pretty affordable..
the only problem is.. to make it to the money. you have to last for
3-6 hours O.O.. I don't think I can spend that much time..
too much waste .. appreciate the idea though..

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I think getting a decent bankroll is one of the best option before going to the tables.. because any donk can waste a dollar or maybe two with nothing..
I've also lost about 15$ total to donks this week.. I hate them arghh!!
I'm just wondering..how much do my bankroll has to be to join a 0.01/0.02 cents table?

*sigh*

First, don't delude yourself into thinking that the donkeys will magically disappear if you play higher stakes. There are donkeys playing games higher than you or I are ever likely to play, so the idea that you're going to freeroll your way to a bankroll that bypasses them is flawed. A bigger roll will give you some more padding against variance but that's it. The "donkeys" will still be there no matter what stakes you play.

Second, don't delude yourself into thinking that donkeys are bad. Donkeys are what regular, winning players live on. Without donkeys everybody would be losing to the rake. It might not seem like it now but you want donkeys at your table.

Keep freerolling if you like, but if I were you I'd seriously just pick your best game and play it until you either go broke or run up a roll. Don't be afraid to lose it all and start over.

Thanks to NoWucking and alaskabill for the kind words, BTW :)

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah... again, just stick to the games you're good at. If you're not a LHE player then playing LHE is a terrible idea. You might lose more slowly than you would if you were playing NLHE but you'll still lose.

I really can't stress this enough: luck plays a huge part in getting a bankroll off the ground when you've only got a small amount to start with. You'll need to play games you're good at and you'll need to run good in them. There is no magic bullet or easy solution. There's no one game type that's ideally suited to the task.

So don't play the games that other people tell you to just because they worked for them - you have to play the ones that work for you. I've done what you're trying to do, BTW, and I specifically haven't mentioned which games I got the job done with because there's no guarantee that my solution will work for you.

One other thought too: chopping and changing the games you're playing in an attempt to find the magic one that grows bankrolls means that you're not getting any real experience or developing in any of the games you're playing.

Pick one game. Your best game. Play it your best, until you either bust or run up a roll. If you bust, just start over. Ignore what worked for other people.

Exactely. Bankrolls do not grow over the night. First u need to learn the game and it is a hell lot to study for this plus the experience. For most of the good players that u see today took like 3-4 years untill they began to make profit and grow up at higher limits. That's because the are a lot of wholes to fill and a lot of concepts to learn.
What can i say as a beginner is that u have to study a lot but also u have to experience a lot much more to get to the level where u can judge every single hand and take the correct decision most of the time. I still do not understand how players multitable at verry high limits but i think that Holdem Manager and the experience help them a lot.

It is like chess.
Do not play with someone u do no know with money u cannot affortd if u do not know how to move the pieces yet.

Even if i am a beginner i saw houdreds of players at tables and after a while that i did not saw them at all cose they lost everything they got. Few players are learning and are comited to what they are doing and 99.99 just take thei shot cose they see it on TV and they think they understood the game. There is no lucky shot here. Is not like loto. U have to learn and manage oyour bankroll well. If u do not have a proper bankroll yet just play the smallest limits and freerolls untill u have.

Last edited:
tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dang donkeys might be good in the table.. but I just lost to a donkey today..
He was all in preflop I called it.. My card was AA.. his card was Q 10 suited
flop was 5, 2, 10
turn was 10
river was K
It cost me my tournament..
I dunno if it's my luck or my play..
I was like AA vs Q 10 preflop ??? are you kidding ?

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This may come as a bit of a surprise, but AA doesn't always win ;)

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop was 5, 2, 10
turn was 10
river was K

That's why u need a bankroll in the first place. Bad beats happen. And if they happen a lot in a short period of time and u are not playing within your bankroll limits u loose it all. U need the bankroll to compensatee the bad beats on the long run cose if u play good poker u will win more times than u lose on the long run.
As i said on my previous post making profit from poker is not taking a shot but a long run concept.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
flop was 5, 2, 10
turn was 10
river was K

If you can't deal mentally with hands like that...:eek: believe me they get worse and the bad runs longer, that is why you need a bankroll and the ability to stay within it's boundaries;)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Without stack sizes, reads and all the other important information this really doesn't mean much - especially since villain shoved and you called.

I'll agree with what others have said, this does demonstrate why you need a proper bankroll. It also illustrates the point I made earlier: you have to run good to pull something like this off. You're in for a terrible ride if you're going to let something like this ruin your day every time it happens.

farhanshah

farhanshah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I started out with a $10 deposit and a bagful of dreams. I started out at the 0.01/0.02 full ring no-limit tables. It is possible to grind it up. I currently have something close to $200.

If you are a tournament player, I suggest the DONs tourneys and just play solid poker. If you have a decent ROI and cash at least 70% of the time, you're on your way up.

The initial grind is tough but ride through it and it will slowly become easier along the way.

J

justin306

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you got over 30 buy-ins of 30 cent daily dollar satellites. Try multi-tabling many 30 cent satellites. You reduce variance while steadily increase in profits.

Do they still give you $T for these or did they switch over to the tourney tickets like a lot of things? If they still do $T I agree with you, if tickets its only good if you want to play a lot of big donkfest MTTs.
Did FT switch it back to T$? I used to do this all the time but then it was switched to where you get Tournament Tickets when you Unregister instead of T$.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't had my morning coffee yet so maybe I'm just grumpy but if I hear (read) the OP complain about donkeys one more time I think I'm going to throw my mouse down a hill. As wiser people than myself have said, you want donkeys, bad players, fish or whatever you want to call them at your table.

Bad players lose money to good players over the long run and that is how good players make their money. In the short run (which can seem very long when you are running bad) the fish will suck out on you with outrageous beats. This is a good thing. Fish getting lucky is what keeps them coming back for more. Think of it as a long term investment.

Another thing, driving me nuts. Its only a bankroll if you are a winning player. There is no trick of bankroll management that will overcome -EV play. All of the advice in this thread is based on the assumption that the OP is a player currently capable of beating the game on a regular basis. Based on all of the donkey whining and focus on short term bad beats that might not be the case. The best thing for the OP to do might be to use some of the wonderful resources at this site to learn how to play the game better. I'm not trying to be a jerk, ( I have lots to learn myself) it just seems like we might be barking up the wrong tree.

Okay, I think the coffee is ready. I'm going to take my hands off the keyboard and back slowly away from the computer. Rant over now. :)

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's just that a badluck streak is going my way for some reason..
haha recently I just lost to a 5 2s vs KK..
I had KK preflop.. He went all in with 5 2 not suited ..
and I easily called..
Then flop was all clubs.. didn't help him
turn was hearts..
river was clubs.. he has 1 club.. I dont have any clubs..
I lost O.O hahaaha..
I think I'm on a losing streak that's why

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started out with a $10 deposit and a bagful of dreams. I started out at the 0.01/0.02 full ring no-limit tables. It is possible to grind it up. I currently have something close to $200.

If you are a tournament player, I suggest the DONs tourneys and just play solid poker. If you have a decent ROI and cash at least 70% of the time, you're on your way up.

The initial grind is tough but ride through it and it will slowly become easier along the way.

It is hard but also it is helpfull because your inital grinding is the way you learn poker, overcopme tilting problems if u accept that bead beats are part of the game, trying to play better by each step.
Important thing that all beginners must learn is that they have to play good poker because on the long rund they will win more often than they lose.

And other thing he have to do.

Study study study.

The preflop play is not enough.
It is hard to learn poker . But if u have 3 books about poker you have to read them at least 5-10 times each. Alwas something to learn that the reader did not understood last time he read it.

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I should learn that anything can happen.. and accept the fact that anything can happen.. well my style is usually getting all the high cards. wait wait wait.. I only enter a hand when I have something big or atleast a draw flush or straight or a top pair..I think I'm just on a bad luck streak..
I'm like 95% to win.. but he still gets the flush or maybe trips.. well it happens..
Now I have to move on!!1 thanks for all the advices!