How to Study Poker with Katie Dozier and Collin Moshman (Video)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So glad to hear it, Bruno! :)

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Staying in poker reading, reading poker chat, forums, watching videos is very important; It is not just playing hours and hours, it is also sitting down to analyze your hands played and that of other players to improve your game

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that hiring a coach is the fastest way to improve. Especially, if he's good and can explain his thoughts to you in a understanable way. But they cost a lot of money.
Next method in my list is reviewing evey questionable hand after the session by posting them to the forum and working them through softwares. This requires a lot of time and effort but it will pays off in the end.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker, like nothing else, clearly shows that it is necessary to learn, a lot and constantly, all your life.

Of the many teaching methods, I prefer the most traditional - books and articles. However, one of the reasons is that I do not know enough spoken English, and there are very few good instructional videos in my Russian. This is a common problem, not fully English-speaking players.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excelent video,videos, articles,books,lots off wais for studiying poker,I adree witht them, the important is to study. In my case i prefere to study watching videos,reviewing my hands and with the odds calculator,that way i know when do i really make a pluss EV call or not.

Naty2585

Naty2585

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Katie and Collin,study the game is as much important as practice it,im lucking foward to read that eboock,that is the way i like the most study,reading boocks.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Katie and Collin,study the game is as much important as practice it,im lucking foward to read that eboock,that is the way i like the most study,reading boocks.

Thanks so much! We’re having a great time writing the book :)

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
It really doesn't matter what format you choose as long as the information is current and applicable to today's game. I am currently working through Daniel Negrenau's masterclass. Some useful info in there although it would be tailored more toward a novice player

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I particularly love Videos is harder for me to retain information when it comes about reading (althou I believe is lack of practice too reading is also about practice) but I have always been fan o writing down evyrything clasify the information cause I tend to forget a lot ... the hardest thing for me is review my hands is hard like where to start what to look first I guess doing that is the best way to improve is hand review ans asking why I did this or that? was it good move? I could've done other better decision? so when it comes again or similar situation you feel more confident about your decision... Thank for the video great advices !

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for the information. It was nice to watch the video with both of you!!I love to play poker, but it's hard for me to train!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks very much, Shanest, Miguel, and Zam! :)

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't like to study.
I learn poker from the felt.
I have some poker book that only gathers dust.
But I like to read an article and watch video from this awesome forum :)

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for the video.

I don't study five hours for every played hour.

It is more like 2-3 hours a week.

I have been reading books about poker, that's what works for me. :)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for the video.

I don't study five hours for every played hour.

It is more like 2-3 hours a week.

I have been reading books about poker, that's what works for me. :)

It sounds like you’re working hard on a consistent basis to study and continually improve—awesome job!!! :)

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to be successful in anything in life you have to put in the work! Poker is no different! Improving your game means putting in some time off the felts to study your game and poker strategy. But what way is the best way to learn poker?

CardsChat Ambassadors and Poker Experts Katie Dozier and Collin Moshman talk about some great methods and ways to put in some study and learn poker better. Check out their video on our YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z14M-1lkBec

What are some tried and true methods of poker study that have worked for you?

I study a lot of books. I have read every poker book I can get my hand on, I also study videos (which you guys are putting out some good stuff) when I can. I read articles on the internet and download and study hand strength charts and odds charts. I take notes on all of the information and try to implement everything I find useful into my game. I also keep a notebook by my computer so that I can jot down where I am making good plays and where I think I could have played a hand better. I try to either screenshot or use boompoker to record these hands too, so I can go back and study them later. When I am consistently doing this (because let's face it, if you are not a poker pro, life sometimes gets in the way...lol) I have noticeably better results. When I am not getting the results I want, I know I need to get back into some serious study sessions.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
hi, Katie and Colleen. I would like to offer you to open a home club on poker stars, if of course time allows you to do so ( do you have valid accounts?), and create tournaments with micro buy-ins (conditional chips). at the same time to explain your actions, broadcasting in YоuТubе. I think there are many willing to take part in such events. I would love to play with you at the same table.
thank you for your efforts.

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best teaching methods for me are poker books, visiting poker forums, watching instructional videos about poker, and of course the practice!

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love Collin Moshman's stuff. He explains stuff in a way I can get.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Love the video, nice and simple! :)

For me practice is everything - play to get better... :)

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cool video. Seems like another good introduction into what should come :)

I hope this is just a pilot episode, and that we can see many more to come based on the same, or similar subject, that is, learning poker.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the cool idea, bablovod, and the very nice comments Prizzy711, AzdajaD, and Bozovicdj! :)

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
incredible what they do .. they help the community a lot, and it is a good initiative because it helps us improve our poker game every day since their videos are very good and practical, for new players and old players, hopefully see more of them to keep improving

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Katie and Collin.
quite a long learning, I learn during the game, then analyzing my mistakes

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree that studying (especially hand reviews) is an essential part of improving one's game and to success in poker. I, like many others don't study nearly as much as I should. I can understand concepts in the abstract but find it hard to implement them at the tables. When I'm actually playing, I tend to be more of a feel player. Need to find a better balance between feel and rational decision making.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Ivansito26 + Muzyka1996 :)

XYZ2123-you make an excellent point about understanding concepts in the abstract but finding it hard to implement while actually playing! That’s a big part of why I think devoting quite a bit of time to studying is so important because it isn’t just learning the concept but also fully adopting them. Thanks for your post! :)