How to play AA or KK - Limping from early position good or not?

B

BYOP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually run much better with KK becouse if the flop comes lower than kings i can make it pay out well but with AA they either fold very soon and dont pay out or they end up making some weird hand...i tryd to do the same thing with aces and lost with AA vs AK becouse he made a straight -.-

maybe i just feel that is hard or impossible to fold AA

but thanks for the advice any way

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on many factors like table dynamics, villains, stacks, bettings, positions, etc.

Definitely, you have to bet or even just call with the reference of those factors above.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on many factors like table dynamics, villains, stacks, bettings, positions, etc.

Definitely, you have to bet or even just call with the reference of those factors above.

You can to ignore the these factors when your hand AA :D

sergios

sergios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pair of AA always up firmly! 5 to 6 bb, pre flop !! and sa strong sibiendo 5 or 6 until allin! Never loosen !! always pushing hard !!

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA are great to hold but playing them still requires estimating how to extract the most value from them when they are played and you know they are ahead. The players who believe AA to be an unbeatable hand are deluded. It is proper to play them as strongly as possible preflop in the hope of isolating one opponent that you can race with. If you are in a tight preflop game, you probably will only win the blinds and antes with your all in. You need to bet enough to knock out the marginal hands and hope to match up with a lower pair. But don't bet the AA post flop as you would preflop because an unimproved pair on the turn or river is a good way to win a small pot or lose a large one. The hand loses to any two pair hand and is just not that valuable any more.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA is better to have it late in the tournament games because if you have it early, then you get donked off because of re entry and morons. If you have chips better to play small pots and win with them to play for it all and lose.. IMO

78mariusz

78mariusz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the true is the better to have it than don't have ;)
Anyway for me AA is the best pair to agresive play and I think that's perfect moment for stack increase

S

SamBush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are not losing 50% of the time nobody does unless you can back this up using say Hold em Manager then i believe it not to be true!

The value of AA heavily decreases when youre playing very deepstacked or you are post turn or river its only one pair usually remember.

B

BYOP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in free games i dont even count them any more but even on turbo games where you had to pay 2.50 i still lose half of the time on those games

in the big games i "win" becouse every one folds but in the turbo games its insane...the worst one was me catching a blind stealer that whent all-in on me with 6 and 5 off suited and i had AA....he floped a poker of 6 -.-

if probability and math are right that means that in a while im about to win every hand with AA to even up the odds lol

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing AA when under the gun

What about playing AA When under the gun? I know that when I slow play aces I am often sorry I did, bit if you raise 3-4 times the BB under the Gun you are pretty much announcing you have a premieum hand. What is the proper way to play aces unbder the Gun?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard preflop raise 3 bb enough , if you have less 25 bb you need open raise 2.25 or 2.5 bb...

R

rocksolid124

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, raise your standard raise UTG. Woulda done that too when the game was super tight, and everyone raised tight UTG. Nowadays though, a lot of people are putting in bluff pf raises UTG, knowing that people would view that as strength, and it sometimes works as an awesome blind steal + if you get called, you can rep strength with weaker hands since you raised UTG. So if you raise UTG, people aren't just gonna peg you on AA. Chances are, most of them probably won't even be thinking of your hand at all.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well what i do is try and mix it up a bit, everyone has their different way of playing AA utg.

very early in the tournament try limping with the intention of re-raising should you get raised, if you dont get raised just try play a small pot......

middle of tourney 2.5 bb's is good, depending what stakes you play. i know from my experience from the micros that most players dont take into consideration you are opening utg and that you haven't played a ton of hands and still call your raise with a below average hand

late stage tourney just a min raise will do providing the blinds are high, usually someone shoves on you

L

love that omaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree limping to re-raise early on or to disguise the strength of your hand - in the middle stages with aggressive players I will raise 4 to 5 bb as I have found out I will get re-raised more often - perhaps opponents putting me on mid pairs. At the end of tourneys I have to look at the stack sizes but many times will just go ahead and ship because at least one player is going to call and it usually looks weaker to raise all in - most often people aren't going to put you on AA or KK and honestly I only want one opponent because it is just so hard to fold these hands when you get out-flopped.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in a mtt the raise depends on the stage, stack and blind sizes and also how many players and if the table has some loose players or even better one or two maniacs,

at the end sometimes you do a small raise and nobody pays and sometimes do a big raise and finish in a multiway and probably losing your aces

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
'Limp raising to disguise your hand'

Lol @ that! It turns your hand face up. most fish move in the book. You may as well turn your hand over.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lols@youregoodmate. I am now your official follower.. haha

For the OP.

You can limp the blinds but don't 3 bet on the raiser you are going to have only 1 villain. 3 bet if there are other callers from the raiser.

You can also have a standard 3BB raise and then flat call any 3 bettors. You also need to move in if there are callers from the 3 bettors.

You need to remember that you are mostly ahead on the flop but out of position. Don't overplay your hand. Do not bet hard. Get value at the same time look for possible set or 2 pairs.

You could get value or save money if you will can play Aces on the flop confidently. You need to get the range of your villain e.g. pocket pairs that you beat KK to TT, Top Pair on the flop, Set, 2 pairs and flush draws.

I am playing at the micros and this could be different on other stakes.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should remember that it is the best hand pre flop and all your mail decissions must be real an the pre flop.

G

gqr31ff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a pair of aces is undoubtedly a great hand but do not forget that it can beat so you need to play very aggressively to someone you did not come to the street or flash or other

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do big raise,stadart raise 3-4-5 bb to get out players with hands which can bad beat you or win a bank with hands like connectors or small pockets but never go all in pre flop.Only in turbo yables when you must to do it.You should not limp and dont risk a big part of your chips,first watch flop,and then also raise or fold,but dont do slow play as it can be used and your opponent can catch flash or street or trips and as result you are out...

S

SamBush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you ever consider folding a royal flush on the river?

Of course not well that is the nuts on the river... just the same value as AA pre flop

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u have less 15 bb push will not be mistake aslo, making out range wider, for some people our hand could be hace-up like a AQ, or TT-JJ

P

Pahs1011

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Big Pairs online

If you raise in smaller stakes preflop online, then bet out on the flop and get 2 or three callers on the flop be careful some will call no matter what and they usually suck out.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This situation can only be in a freeroll.. If you know the table is very loose and many callers , make big raise approximately 5-6 bb or if your stack less 15bb only shove...

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
on turbo games i just go all-in and keep losing 50% of the time

In turbo tournaments many people will go all in with anything,so I'm not surprised.