How to play AA or KK - Limping from early position good or not?

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You min-raise because you don't want to scare the money away. You wait for the flop. C-bet at least 2/3 the pot. Going all-in pre-flop hardly ever catches anybody else that is going to be willing to call.

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never limp with AA because I want to avoid tricky situations. How big I raise depends on blinds and stack sizes. If it's early in the game I'll raise 4-5x bb to try and keep speculative hands out. Once the blinds go up I'll go with 2.5-3x which is my standard raise. If blinds are really high and we're short stacked, I may go ahead and just make a min raise to lure in a semi-decent hand or the blinds.

PrayForSpades

PrayForSpades

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to min raise UTG, because my image is usually pretty LAG so I will get 3 bet often, hopefully after everybody calls my raise so I could get that nice 4bet in. ;)

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not what you do, it's what you aim to do. How you do it will vary on the board. The goal is to get the least number of players in with the most amount of money. Even against three other players AA has pretty solid equity when the flop comes around. Not so much when you hit the turn or the river though. So on the flop its usually best to make the stakes high, particularly if there's a draw of any sort on the board.

9-handed, lead out strong. Usually you will get a call, and most often by Ace-Paint or a smaller pocket pair like 10s or under. Might get 3-bet by AK, AQ, KK, QQ, JJ. Leading out strong just means the people who want to play have to commit more, and the people who want to stuff the pot will have to inflate it a lot more. Most of the time that's going to be best. 4x/5xBB depending on the table, maybe more if the table is aggressive.

6-handed your standard raise is probably fine. Short stacks will enough folding-chips will often shove on the light side. Sometimes leading out with a smaller bet will prompt a light 3-bet. And anyone who does that will think you're not ultra strong because that's what they're repping. So you can usually get them to continue and commit chips that way. But 6-handed or less is going to be vastly more situational. Just keep the goals in mind: get money into the pot, keep the players in the hand to a minimum.

And remember, it's better to get folds all around than to go into the flop with four other people.

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online I usually make it 3and1/2 BB just cause I'm in a more vulnerable position and will get less info postflop before its my turn and then I play cautiously on certain boards that might hit my opponents ranges'. In a live game lets say 200NL I will usually see what the normal raise is Usually 10-12 dollars and add a few more to that usually between 14-16 dollars and then play postflop similar to online

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only if I have a read on someone (or more players) of which I know they will always raise preflop, I will just limp in.

If I have no such reads, it's a standard open raise since you want try to get HU with someone.

A

Angels513

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with all but AA is still a pair so don't be surprised on the occasions when you don't win..

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning of each round I pick an open raise amount. It is usually somewhere between 2.2-3.0 bbs. Anytime I am first to enter a pot I open with a raise. I never open limp. Whether it's AA, 33, KTo, or 46s. Always the same opening raise

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I limp if several callers. An AI from someone else is definitely and AI for me with AA. But don't expect to win every hand u have with AA.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm, good question, but I'm not sure why you would play AA any differently in EP than you would in LP. Like KK, I would open raise AA with my standard bet size, and if there are raisers in front of me, I would 3bet/4bet the size of the pot.

I learned a long time ago never to open limp.

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely depends on the players at your table, if you know there is a good chance if you bet that you will get a 3bet out of somebody that your standard raise would be fine! If you playing at kind of a tight table that folds a lot or you know there is one or two loose cannons almost raising every pot that nobody has raised then I would limp/call and try and extract value. The ideal situation would be to take this hand 5 streets! Post flop I would just check/call and again on the turn before betting on the river!

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
make your standard raise 2.5-3X the BB.you dont want to change your standard raise because they notice that after a few times.if there is a raiser before you, 3bet at least 2X the pot.if there is a raiser and a caller before you,3bet at least 3X the pot.Now if your image is very tight and you are first to act you can limp and expect someone to raise you

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on the table, but usually i'll open 3-4x just like i do with any hand i want to play UTG

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of it depends on the table your at .If I'm at table with a bunch of loose pre-flop raiser I won't hesitate to limp in ,then if I get one raiser the whole stack is going in,if not,I try to put in a decent pre-flop raise to limit the number of players in the pot with me,that's just me though,I can't stand for my AA to get cracked.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If im the first to act, whether thats from UTG or the SB, its a 5x bet for me. I want my opponents to know Im on a Monster & Im not letting go it. If I have limpers in before me, I bet 3x plus 1 BB for every limper to a max of 9 BB's. If there is just one raiser before me, and they are normally strong. I will 3x that bet, no matter how big it was.

eg 1 - 3x raiser = 9 BB bet. Which is 3x villians raise. If he re-raises, then play poker babe.
eg 2 - 2 limpers then a 3x raiser. Get in good here, you dont want one of the limpers changing his mind because of low betting. Another 9 BB bet for me.

All this depends on what everyone has pointed out ... Image.
I only use these number as my SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) & it can vary

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
here's my thoughts on the idea of limping and slow playing AA when you expect a raise from later position:

If you limp with AA hoping to initiate a "limpede" and let's say 3 others limp along; then somebody in late position makes a big pot sized raise...now the pot has 4BB + pot raise = 8BB. Your ideal situation has happened; it's not gonna get any better than this. So, now you'll make your big move: early position limp, re-raise which basically screams "I have AA". Usually, everyone will fold since it's so obvious you have AA and you'll win 8BB. Net win +7BB.

If you get any further action on the hand, it will likely be from other strong hands like JJ+ which would have given you action anyways if you had made a standard raise, OR it will be from somebody who wants to set mine against you because they now KNOW you have AA, and they won't put another chip in the pot unless they flop a set.

If, instead you make a standard 3BB raise from early position, you'll still get action from any strong hands. so JJ+ will likely re-raise you to about 7-10BB and you may get 1 or 2 streets of post flop action from them, easily netting you the same +7BB or more.

You'll still get action from speculative hands too, and they still might stack you...or they MIGHT pay you off while they chase their draw; or try to float you or bluff you and you can make a little extra value that way.

But now also, somebody might make top pair with AK, AQ, AJ or KQ and pay you off 2 or 3 streets of value easily netting you more than 7BB you would have made from slow playing.

But when you limp, there is ALWAYS a risk that you create a multiway pot that you now have to play out of position; and later get sucked out on by some wacky 2 pair. Or when you are lucky enough to hold up, it is hard to extract value out of position, multi-way.

Also, you allow others to play perfect poker against you when you make it so obvious what you have. So, you actually give a medium strong hand like TT or JJ a way to get off the hook; they might actually fold now instead of paying you 2 or 3 streets of value. And you allow speculative hands to play perfect poker against you too...they continue when they feel they have implied odds to set mine, and they fold when they miss.

But most importantly, when you raise the same with all your playable hands including your monsters; you give cover to all your other weaker hands that you will be raising with. It makes raising with 55 or JTs so much more profitable when people can't tell what your bet size means.

Now, if you are extremely tight it's true that you might not get any action when you open raise AA from early position...to which I'd respond you might wanna open up your game a bit....but don't start limping in with AA...

So, to sum it up: I feel the risk of losing a medium sized pot and the possibility of winning a medium sized pot basically cancel each other out, and in the end raising is just way better.

just my opinion...

Last edited:
spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends lot on what level of play u are at...
If its a initial stage of a tourney, i usually do a 10x bb preflop bet...
If its a late stage of the tourney, i stick to 3xbb bet....
Also the betting varies with what type of table u are at...passive or aggressive...

D

donetola

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i always bet ALL-IN with AA no matter it early,BUBle or final

A

armaghedonul

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i will make 5-6 BB bet and wait to see what hapening

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The other consideration is maximizing value AND minimizing risk. Remember that it's harder to get paid off by weaker hands as each street continues. As a general rule of thumb the power of a pair diminishes on each street. A standard raise could very well be getting called with speculative hands. A small raise is going to get called with several speculative hands. When the flop hits you are likely to be in front but that's where your value will stop. And if you are headed toward a river with someone from an over limped pot, chances they going toward or already have a made hand. The last place your really want to be is getting raised on the turn or river with AA.

If you do hit the flop with a lot of callers, you pretty much have to make a strong bet unless the board is super dry.

Moral of the story, the only way I really want to see a river with AA/KK is because I was all in pre-flop.

B

BYOP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing Aces

hi all

i cant get no satisfaction with AA
i know its supost to be "the best hand" but i cant really win much with them

on turbo games i just go all-in and keep losing 50% of the time

on the sunday storm players tend to be more tigh since there is alot of money in play and even when i min raise when blinds are 20/40 to 80 chips and stacks are abouve 5k they all fold
and the villian that made the mistake of limping in with poket AA while i was on the blind and checking until the river before betting big lost half of his chips becouse by then i made a straight with 57 off suit lol

so what is the best way to play pocket aces becouse right now i think its better to play like a smal pair and hope to get tripes before even betting while looking in the corner for draws

L

love that omaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I either limp and hope to get a raise from someone where I can make a big raise from early position or make a standard 3bb raise in middle to late position - will generally raise 5-6x blind if im in big or small blind with a couple limpers. If I do limp and no one raises I try to control the size of pot, maybe even check calling depending on board texture. Tourneys I like to bet 1/3 the pot on flop 1/2 pot on turn and evalauate river - cash games I tend to bet bigger and actually have a lot of luck with limping under the gun then just raising all in when say someone raises to 12 gets 3 callers - I usually end up with one caller and win around 70 pct, which is still -ev but could be worse. AA and AK I run good KK I run poorly.