How to play AA or KK - Limping from early position good or not?

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No limp. I do not understand as much as possible in early position with AA limp. Only raise 3bb or more. It all depends on the levels of blinds of opponents and their style of play.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
most time i would raise 3 or 4 bb. limping is a good option on a loose table because you can 3 bet to isolate players if lots of players call the bet and you also hide the strenght of your hand. Dont limp aces on tight tables with lots of limpers because ases loss their value on multiway pots so you dont want to get involved in a pot with aces against more than 2 players.

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is specifically for MTTs. Also, I am NOT an expert. I probably would raise 3x when My stack is over like 10 or 15 BBs. If my stack is under 10 BBs I might shove. Also, I might shove when my stack is 10-15 BBs and there are antes. I usually don't call, but I may if a player is raises very often preflop.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whatever you do, do not always do the exact same thing in the same spot with the same cards (change gears). With AA UTG, you also need to have an idea of the other players yet to act. If a min raise or standard raise (3x or whatever) is still going to get 4 or 5 callers, you might want to just shove if one maniac will call; AA gets worse the more people in the pot. If the button is raising light every time, you might want to limp-raise.

As important as the hand would be the table dynamics.

Alexsandr Kononov

Alexsandr Kononov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many different ways to play the ready hands. Some people say that you need to play them slowly, masking their hands, others are of the opinion that as soon as you need to bet. It seems to me that you should never be the same monster draw, it all depends on the situation and the opponent. The only thing you have to remember is the fact that your opponent has to be tied to the bank that it would be very difficult to fold his cards. In this case, you will be most easily pick up all his money on the river to get the maximum profit from your monster.
When you need to slow play the hand

I

ilostmysoul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will never limp AA or KK. My goal is to raise and trying to get to a 5-bet all-in. By the time that we are 5-betting, there should be only a few players active, which is what I'm going for too, just to avoid the board running in their favor.

But if I am in a tournament or should you be playing against smart, thinkable players, I would sometimes limp. For example, say I have a loose player as the only opponent in the pot with me. I might call if I know he will raise to push me away. Then I could either call or raise, but because I know he will c-bet but probably fold to a preflop raiser, I will only call. Deppending on the Flop I re-evaluate. If it's a wet board, I will raise his cbet or bet myself. If it's a dry board with high cards, say KJ5 rainbow, I will raise his cbet hoping he caught a pair. Then follow some strategy for the rest of the hand.
Point being I'm limping with a Premium pair hand against players that are capable of giving me money on the Flop whereas they would fold to my raise.

Another reason is if I am playing against smart players for a long time. If I never call with AA or KK they will take those hands off my range, and insert them when I do raise, and since they would be spot on, I don't want that. So, although you should raise, say 3 out of 4 times with TT+, I would make a call here and then. If we do get drawn out because of that one call, we got unlucky (it would be easier if we got drawn out the other 3 times we raised).

But in order for me to call I would want a pot with 3 opponents max (and more than 2 are risky). If there are more than 3 limpers, I'm raising to push some away, no matter what I said above.

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always raise....... if you don't you're giving people opportunity to see cheap flop and God knows they often outflop you and you can lose a lot :p

C

chw81

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA-Handling
I raise like a pair over 5 Pre-Flop, at Flop I look around what others bet, and then if no Flush/Straight available I reraise sometimes up to 5 times pot size, @ turn half-pot and @ river if no card doubled and flush/straight not available nearby all in.

KK-Handling

Nearby the same, but All-in on Flop if no Ace there and other players don´t bet high bets, else I only calling.

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limp only when the table is extremelly aggresive...and only with AA....is risky with KK....most of the recreational players bet with Ax and for shure callin the allin also...and sometimes sucks :(....so ....shoving or raising is much better than limping...OR...if you want to tell someone stories with badbeats you can limp whatever you want :D

B

bojax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd raise 100% of the time with AA and KK from any position and I don't think it's a close decision at all no matter the table dynamics.

Also, think about what effect limping these hands has on your overall strategy. If you limp AA and KK, but this time you raise from utg, your range is capped. If I'm sitting with QQ then I have the nuts against your range. This is a very undesirable outcome for an utg raise.

If you're not getting action on your big hands, then it's time to raise with a wider preflop range.

P

primitivogamez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
IT depends of the bank roll between you and the opponents. AA in early positions 3 bet at least. but is not good to be limp because if the flop comes wet for some one, you may loose with any set of 22 , 33 or something like that.It is beter to win some points then loose them. Thank you.

M

Mitchel Cornodelli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this question is too vague. when considering your move pre-flop you need to consider your table image - have you been limping utg with monsters often? , your table type - is the table aggressive and your limp will most likely be raised or will it simply become a multi-way small pot.
If you do like to limp utg with mosters, you need to blend in limping in with weak hands so you do get at least some action. If not, then just raise your normal amount.

P

primitivogamez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
IT depends of the bank roll between you and the opponents. AA in early positions 3 bet at least. but is not good to be limp because if the flop comes wet for some one, you may loose with any set of 22 , 33 or something like that.It is beter to win some points then loose them. Thank you.

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are in some tournament playing for hours...playing loose....always good some limp :p

cantavir

cantavir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was in early position AA or KK 8xbb I think it's the safe play against the smaller range of colors that can be given up only a few of whom enter the couple is in the hands of

D

Denis Sidorov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just all-in if u play freerols)). And Min bet in real games)

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gotta know your table. say you are late in the tournament and there are 3 ish short stacks that are it shove-fold mode. I'd limp them here, hoping one of them has a hand to try to play with.

Also if people are paying attention limping can turn your hand face up. In a recent tournament I played, A player I know as a pretty solid player has a short stack and limps UTG. Everyone folds, I check at the BB. I have J8s and the flop comes 873 rainbow. Should I think my hand is good? Probably not since I know this person wouldn't limp something small.

If your table is limp friendly, never ever ever ever ever limp them.

Quote wins for best advice on the thread.

Yeah, only time I like an open limp with a AA, KK, QQ, is when there are number of short stacked opponents (20BB or less) at the table.

Otherwise, I'm opening at my regular 2.5-4xBB raise. Because I'm also opening AK, AQ, AJ, KQs, JJ, TT, and an occasional speculative the same way.

dexon303

dexon303

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is VERY important if you are good enough of a player to limp with AA or KK you have to be a good enough player to fold it in a wide variety of situations post flop. If you can not fold AA or KK then you should not limp it.

DarthTuna

DarthTuna

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I say you should never open limp with AA or KK unless you are certain a player will raise you expecting you to fold with weak hands, then you just rob them. This works especially well if you have a weak image and have limp-folded to raises a lot recently.
I have been in the BB and flopped a free full house with a trash hand and ruined somebodys day, all because they open limped instead of raising with AA

D

dead homie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually limp, i someone raises i go all in

G

gabrielrr33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, starting a very good tournament awards, I would play All In no cards like AA or KK. It is no more because the blinds are minimal compared to our Stack. And luck would lose to flush or straight; we would be losing a big pot.

Prefer see the flop before playing early in a tournament.

Stating all this; I would do depending on the position and the response of my opponents.

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always keep it standard amount, whether that be 2.2x or 2.5x or 3x. It seems trivial now and you might want to "trap" somebody but the fact of the matter is when you get better and start playing in real games with competent players you need to balance your range.

G

gabrielrr33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To play this type of hands rather often see the flop, if at the start of a tournament that is very, very risky to go all in.

That's all from me. Happy Night Friends !!

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like mole this line , microstakes generally not Postion Early calls flabby enough PEOPLE FOR flop, but is likely to have roots intermediate position , OR ELSE push ... Without However, I think q Raize 3x Is Not Bad , because you Jocks ISOLAR More Than I Think That is exaggeration ... but THAT varies according to the table:angel:

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't fall in love with this play. This is something you do once in a while (e.g.: 20% of the time you have aces). As someone showed, the odds of your aces holding up is much worse when you're entering a family pot with several limpers, than when playing headsup.

If you build a LAG image and show junk hands from time to time, there's no doubt you should open raise from early position 100% of the time with aces.