How to play AA or KK - Limping from early position good or not?

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how do you guys play your AA i never win with AA if i go all in most time people fold if i play them slow i always seem to lose???????:confused:

Honestly, Dude, I strongly suspect selective memory. :angel:

Cheers!

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There are a lot of wrong ways to play AA, including feeling that you're entitled to win a huge pot each and every single time you are holding them then going on tilt when it doesn't happen.

Pre-flop, get it in regardless unless you're on the bubble of a satty and can afford to wait. Post-flop is a different story, if you raise UTG with two red Aces and get 5 callers, and see a flop of QJT all Spades, you're probably in trouble already.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
how do you guys play your AA i never win with AA if i go all in most time people fold if i play them slow i always seem to lose???????:confused:

It's better to win the blinds than get sucked out, never limp with Aces.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA are great preflop, but like any pocket pair, you're hoping for a set, fullhouse, or quads.

In a tourney, Preflop I raise AA the same as any other hand, however if Im short stacked its easy shove, post flop depends on board.

In Cash game I usually play $2/$5 and I will raise between $35 and $50. If someone wants to see a flop, they're paying for it, however I try to play these hands quickly. My favourite hands are suited connectors, pocket pairs I hate because they're very strong preflop, but post flop can draw you dead and sometimes they look too pretty to throw away.

On a dry board, I'll gladly see Aces through to the river, however on a dry board your aces %95 of the time will not need to be played to the river cause everyone else will fold :p

i wouldnt say i was looking for a set or better with AA...AA on its own will crush alot of boards v other players ranges and betting/continue line ranges..saying you are looking for a set or better is off the mark imo..

and raising x10 with AA is a sure fire way of getting insta folds at any table with all different player types..you're basically annoucing your hand to everyone in the room. lol

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
never limp with Aces.

I think this ^ statement is a bit too black & white. In poker quite often 'it depends'.
"Well then Mr. PO when might be a time we'd be considering limping preflop with AA?"
One example might be when we're in a BvB scenario & player in BB is aggro & we have history with them & can be pretty confident they're playing back at weak/passive play. This also depends on effective stack sizes & history.

In general, How to play AA >>>> 'it depends'
To simplify it though, I'm raising preflop as I would typically be doing with any hand I'm opening with. Postflop I'm playing 'poker'.

If there's a raise in ahead of me, I will often 3-bet but not always (again 'it depends').

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Well then Mr. PO when might be a time we'd be considering limping preflop with AA?"
One example might be when we're in a BvB scenario & player in BB is aggro & we have history with them & can be pretty confident they're playing back at weak/passive play.

Meh. Limp/rerase might work once-ish. I'm not fond of it unless you're trying to limp a wider range and if you're opening from the SB I just wouldn't bother. Anyway yeah you can almost always contrive a set of circumstances where a typical play is not the optimal play so I understand the point. I think that generally, for the newbish players like the ones I see posting, Zorba's comment about not limping AA or for that matter just not open limping is a good one to take to heart.

Yes aces get cracked sometimes, especially in low stakes/freerolls :(

Indeed. They're also much more profitable overall under those circumstances depsite the increased risk of being drawn out on of course, since poker is usually about getting someone else's money into the pot while you're a statistical favourite.

I know AA does get beat alot. But you should allways raise pre-flop with AA. So you can lessen the field of players in the hand.

Raising is often a very good idea but it's really not about lessening the field of players. Again it's more about getting money in the pot in an immensely +EV situation.

manu994

manu994

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the kind of tourney / table im in. Ill play it as a regular hand mostly, opening with a 3xbb and then progresivelly increasing the bet with every card shown. I try not to go all in pre flop, but I would definitely call if someone was to re-raise after my 3bb bet.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Meh. Limp/rerase might work once-ish. I'm not fond of it unless you're trying to limp a wider range and if you're opening from the SB I just wouldn't bother. Anyway yeah you can almost always contrive a set of circumstances where a typical play is not the optimal play so I understand the point. I think that generally, for the newbish players like the ones I see posting, Zorba's comment about not limping AA or for that matter just not open limping is a good one to take to heart.

Indeed. They're also much more profitable overall under those circumstances depsite the increased risk of being drawn out on of course, since poker is usually about getting someone else's money into the pot while you're a statistical favourite.

Raising is often a very good idea but it's really not about lessening the field of players. Again it's more about getting money in the pot in an immensely +EV situation.

I agree with AA, we're obviously raising for value not fold equity.

Now if we had T9s UTG we'd probably be trying to represent a stronger hand than what we actually have and hope for some fold equity. If we do get called though we still have some post flop equity for C-bet barreling on OESDs & flush draws etc.

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I meant AA. There will be other times you open the pot (late game tournament situations for example) and pray hard for folds.

R

rainbowracer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do i play AA the best way

i play a wijl , AA somtimes give me a bit off aprobleem,
some free rolls when iget the firts hand AA
some times 6 players call the firts hand what do i do fold with so many callers
ore just jam thats waht i do the mast off the time .
the results are not good some times .
can i get some advies from good players hoe cashe a lot .
greatings rainbowracer.:jd4::):mad::eek::eek::cool::icon_bigs;):smile::jd4::jd4:

xaxawa

xaxawa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With AA I raise 3 BB preflop, after flop - Pot bet.

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a big difference in limping w/ AA or KK
Having KK you have a good chance that another player has a big ace (AQ, AJ, ATs ) and makes the pace for you.
W/ AA there are only medium or big pairs who will make the pace for you.
Besides if you flat call w/ KK and an ace appears on the flop you can step out quite easy.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes you can limp aa or kk in early positions, but i dont recommend you to do that on a tight table, or in one full of limpers. the odds of winnings with those monsters preflop hands depends on how many players are involved in the pot. so in a loose table it might be a good idea to limp with these hands, because you can re raise and isolate players if many players call the raise.

W

wabbitfry18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

I think you can get a lot of value by raising over the people that raise behind your limp, but if I'm on a table full of tight players, I would think twice about it.

S

seghill

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never limp

with good cards early a raise should be normal unless table situations warrent otherwise (e.g. you have an idit behind you who always raises. That way you know the minor drawing hands have been eliminated and you can make judgements based on your knowledge of how players will resond to good card

bradfordzilla

bradfordzilla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the only time i would limp pocket Aces is when i would want them to get beat on purpose. Aces cracked promotion at the IP pays $200. one night i was playing, guy to my right raised to $25, i called. guy to my left calls for $25. we see the flop 5d 9s 3c. guy to my right checks, i shove something like $175 guy to my left calls. guy to my right folds. blank turn blank river. dude flips over 5, 3 . two pair whipped my pocket aces ass for $200. the guy on my right folded pocket kings. if i had re-raised preflop to $50, i might not have felt so bad about getting beat. but i thought long and hard about that hand for a while.

Attachments

• acescracked.JPG
    acescracked.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 84
jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In an MTT, you want to isolate against one other player. Try to get as much into the pot before the flop. After the flop if you have been called make sure you bet about 1/2 of the pot. If the other player raises you have to consider a fold, if the board has high cards. AA is not a lock hand postflop. It gets weaker each street if it has not improved.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like limping with AA or KK. Just invites others with trash cards to flop 2 pair or something. Your not favored too much if you get more than 2 callers id say. Should put a raise in there preflop.

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gotta know your table. say you are late in the tournament and there are 3 ish short stacks that are it shove-fold mode. I'd limp them here, hoping one of them has a hand to try to play with.

Also if people are paying attention limping can turn your hand face up. In a recent tournament I played, A player I know as a pretty solid player has a short stack and limps UTG. Everyone folds, I check at the BB. I have J8s and the flop comes 873 rainbow. Should I think my hand is good? Probably not since I know this person wouldn't limp something small.

If your table is limp friendly, never ever ever ever ever limp them.

M

Mheat2013

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to limp or call with KK with 1 or 2 people in the hand at any stage of a tournament just to try to let them hit top pair on the flop or sometimes people will overplay there Ax hand. but eihter way it can be dangerous

D

DVFreewill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can limp with AA or KK occasionally to mix up your play. Maybe 10-20% of the time.

D

DVFreewill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's important to vary your play so you dont become too easy to read. Limping up front occassionaly is fine. Your hoping to get raised with AA or KK of course and be able to re-raise.

M

Mailbox13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on where you are in tournament, early may be right to be risky and limp, later you want blinds, if you get no callers, you still get blinds!