How to Manage Your Bankroll in Poker

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of good advice in that article. I think a big factor is game selection, if you are very comfortable in a certain type of game I think you can be a little lenient with your bankroll, but too lenient.

Stick with the games you have the most success in and give yourself enough money to fall back on in case variance strikes. Tilt can strike at anytime so my best advice for that is to take a short break and refresh yourself because tilt can be a bankrolls worst enemy.

This guy doesn’t suck, especially at tournaments, you should probably listen to him.. :)

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A common mistake is when players lose quite large amounts due to variance and to win back raise or play on big blinds when it was necessary to do the opposite - lower stacks and play in smaller blinds. Then you will be much less risky.
You always need to stay in your comfort zone. Even if you start to carry at the limits higher than you can afford, then in the period of failure you will start to get nervous, make mistakes and make wrong decisions, because with quick wins we feel euphoria, and with quick losses - horror, so the player becomes emotionally unstable.

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Even after all these years, I'm still an imperfect bankroll manager. As a recreational player and one who loves sit n gos it is very hard to fire up multiple tables, thus I will find myself with an underfunded bankroll playing $5 sng2's over at ACR. I've not blown my roll yet, but I know as does everyone who knows good bankroll management, it's only a matter of time. It's a good thing I only play a couple of times a month there. If I were to be serious about my roll I would stick to $1 buy ins with my 60 dollar roll. :eek::cool::rolleyes:

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can say that I am a recreational player, so I play small tournaments if I take something on a freeroll, I had some success, but it did not last long, I usually play small tournaments from $ 1 to $ 3, and sng1, 5 $, but when the account I have more than $ 30 games of big tournaments instead of continuing to play small (my big problem), also when I buy around $ 70 I usually play satellites and I lose everything. It's a big problem in my country (Serbia) banks suspended all payments and paid out on poker games, it's the same with other types of neteller and others, so I can not repair my bankroll:)

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ideal bankroll in the beginning, I think it really depends on the circumstances of life and the type of player you are. If you are a recreational player then your investment for a bankroll will probably be less compared to a player who wants to play poker as a profession. If you do not control the size of your bankroll, sooner or later, failure is inevitable. I also believe that you should play 5% BI from your bankroll. Many have the problem in this, do not know how to handle the bankroll, and the fustração is great.

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a recreational player , and usually set a certain amount of dollars each month and deposit in small amounts
I usually stray from cash games but if i devoted more time ,i may have a better return, i usually play small sattalites to gain entries into the much higher payout games and returns. this way i'm not using my bankroll all in 1-2 games and gaining experience with at alot less expense. If luck follows ur bankroll can increase much quicker for less $$

drolin

drolin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am creating my bankroll, I am playing free and cheap games.

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very many regular players and coaches recommend having at least 100 buy-ins. that is, if you have $ 100 on your account, then you should play tournaments no more than $ 1! This strategy allows you to play a greater distance and not lose your bank roll in case of an unsuccessful day or two in a row

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a true recreational player when it comes to the size of my bankroll. One thing I recently done is to take my management of my bankroll outside PokerTracker4 and create my own spreadsheet in Excel.

What I've done is to split my bankroll on a site into two - a cash bankroll and a tournament bankroll. One point that may get overlooked is when you read about needing XX number of buy-ins to play cash or XX buy-ins to play tournaments, that not looking at the two as independent accounts may blur your progress.

So I'm tracking, manually, every spin n go, MTT, and cash session I play and I've divided my bankroll to fund each individually. This way, I know exactly what I'm up in cash vs what I'm up in tournaments and can adjust accordingly. And by having all sites I have money on, I can quickly track where I'm progressing well, where I'm having issues, and set small and larger goals to plan how I'm going to grind my bankroll up. This is especially key because I have money on a site that doesn't support PokerTracker, so the only way I have 100% of the story is for me to do the work.

pedro2125

pedro2125

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a good point that should be based on the game of a player to know how to manage their banking, since with a good discipline in our administration is able to decide what levels and how much we can generate to generate a better profit of money ,so that we do not lose our money in the modalities that are not for our banking. The best advice I can give is that for poker everything is based on our banking and administration...

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I too do not deposit and have freerolled my way to BR. That said there have been times I've had some money on sites, so this is how I roll...lol...get it Bank roll..ok i kill myself.

The article said to refrain from rebuys but with most sites making even their freerolls rebuys they can be hard to avoid. Treat them as freerolls set a limit to how much you will rebuy and stick to it.

The article also says to stay away from late registration, there again sites are making it so difficult to do that. Every where i turn i see late registrations some as long as 3 hours. When micro-BRed as I am i will evaluate the blinds at late reg and come in late knowing rebuying is limited to me. Be sure a research the blind levels though to make sure you will have enough in chips to compete.

Here's to all of us making great decisions and making our poker hobby something we can "Take to the Bank!" there i go again ...sometimes i think I'm the only one laughing though.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bankroll Management is an extremely important aspect of the game of poker for many players... however, not so for everyone. For players who want to try and make some money out of playing poker then it is incredibly important to master all of the very good advice that is available in various formats including in this very helpful article. However, for some players, who just play poker for the buzz....their approach to bankroll management is somewhat different. Some players just burn their available money as they have that put aside for poker and nothing else. They treat poker a little bit like horse racing. They turn up with $100 in their pockets and decide that they will bet that amount and if they lose they lose! If they win, then that is a bonus. Be aware of those players and make sure that you only play with what you can afford to lose.

My best piece of advice that I would offer anyone in terms of Bankroll Management is DON'T CHASE YOUR LOSSES. If you do, you will invariably find that bankroll management goes out of the window and you are very soon left with nothing. If you are having a bad session....walk away, do something else and come back another time. Poker will still be there and so will your bankroll!

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think the recommendation of $80 for a short-stacking strategy (20 x $4) is a mistake here. Properly done, a short-stacking strategy is +EV, but should have higher variance than a full-stack strategy. You're committing earlier and with less information than when playing deep stacks. You're using math to ensure that you're on the right side of the odds, when you do this, but you're playing the edges. You're trying to flip a slightly unfair coin. It doesn't take a lot of unfortunate flips to wipe you out. I think 40-50 buy-ins is better here, which puts you right at the 20 full buy-in amount anyway.

I am also a big proponent of auto-top up. I hear the argument about keeping track of your losses, but I don't think it's a convincing reason to avoid topping off. If you record your starting amount, before you begin playing, you can easily keep track of how much you have won/lost in a session. On top of that, many of the rooms have a feature where you can see your net profit at the table by clicking a button near the chat window.

I think the benefits of having a full stack, when you hit a big hand, far outweighs the added complication of keeping records, which you should be doing anyway.

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very good article.
in general I do not make deposits, I try to generate bankroll from freerolls, since most of the time I can not win figures higher than 10 dollars, what I do is invest them in sit and go (0.10, 0.25, 0.50, 1.00 and 1.5) generally, the ones I feel most comfortable with are the 9-player table.
I am of little pascience so I look for games that are not too long, that's why the choice. I think it is also a point when making the choice of where to invest the bank.
if I manage to raise my bank, I will play mtt (1.10, 2.20, 3.30, 4.40, 5.50, 7.50)
now the drawback that I always have is the game in cash, I do not know if it's too bad luck or too bad choice of tables, I play up to 0.05 / 0.10. I think it's a good way to raise your bank but in my case the impatience plays against me, it's like the article says I intend to win 10000 in one night.
In short I think the best way to increase the bank at the beginning is through SNG

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I don't keep a big BR on the sites, 20 - 30 buy in minimum is enough for the low stakes that I play, most important is to reduce your buy ins if you are in a slump and your BR is dropping, take a break also if you are not getting good results, no need to blow the whole BR if you are running bad.

:top:

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all of the great responses in this thread!

Sakisdask

Sakisdask

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Κάντε κλικ στο σύνδεσμο του άρθρου παραπάνω και διαβάστε αυτό και ας συζητήσουμε αυτό το κρίσιμο θέμα εδώ! [/ QUOTE]

as you all right, we are making this mistake to play more than our wallet! this is usually the case of addiction. so it's a good thing before we play in a tournament to put a "everyone's own" limit and just have fun! :D:D

Sakisdask

Sakisdask

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is your Week 2 discussion topic for the CardsChat Forum Challenge. Feel free to join in the discussion, even if you aren't doing the Challenge!

b8e22c3cb2893bc2e151f1e270a34e0e.png

Last week we discussed Building Your Bankroll from Nothing, so the natural progression from there would be to know how to keep what you've earned. This week we will discuss How to Manage Your Bankroll in Poker.

Bankroll management is arguably the most vital tactic and strategy of a successful poker player, but ironically, doesn't have anything to do with how you actually play the game. Properly managing the money in your account to ensure you always have funds available to play with, even through the downswings is an important skill to learn. So click the article link above and read through it, and let's discuss this crucial topic here!

as you all right, we are making this mistake to play more than our wallet! this is usually the case of addiction. so it's a good thing before we play in a tournament to put a "everyone's own" limit and just have fun!
:D:D:cool:

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I am a true recreational player when it comes to the size of my bankroll. One thing I recently done is to take my management of my bankroll outside PokerTracker4 and create my own spreadsheet in Excel.

What I've done is to split my bankroll on a site into two - a cash bankroll and a tournament bankroll. One point that may get overlooked is when you read about needing XX number of buy-ins to play cash or XX buy-ins to play tournaments, that not looking at the two as independent accounts may blur your progress.

So I'm tracking, manually, every spin n go, MTT, and cash session I play and I've divided my bankroll to fund each individually. This way, I know exactly what I'm up in cash vs what I'm up in tournaments and can adjust accordingly. And by having all sites I have money on, I can quickly track where I'm progressing well, where I'm having issues, and set small and larger goals to plan how I'm going to grind my bankroll up. This is especially key because I have money on a site that doesn't support PokerTracker, so the only way I have 100% of the story is for me to do the work.

But actually, you could also track it in PT4, just need to adjust the settings, I guess. You can choose there what is tournament money, what is cash.
Don't need to make additional efford in my opinion.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a difficult time managing my bankroll online. Probably because there are always games and I play for fun, so I don’t really care if I go broke. Although lately I have trying to do a better job of managing my bankroll. One thing I’ve done is stopped playing rebuys and started playing re-entries w/ 3 max instead.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
But actually, you could also track it in PT4, just need to adjust the settings, I guess. You can choose there what is tournament money, what is cash.
Don't need to make additional efford in my opinion.

I actually think that the extra effort keeps me more in tune with my bankroll versus relying on PT4 or other tools. While I use PT4 in session and post session, by tracking it on my own separately I can do other things with the data:
- Track progress in spins: how is my win rate in 2X v 10X
- Ensure that hands missed at the start of a session are accounted for (I find PT4 tends to miss the first few
- Allows that if I play stakes at different levels or tables that I can separate the data whereas PT4 I've seen merge the data together
- Makes sure I'm active in managing it

I feel PT4 creates a more passive approach to BRM because it does the work for you and I'm old school and an Excel nerd so I like to ensure the data is best suited for me and how I work.

bmw1983kaz

bmw1983kaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management is the key and the difference between succesful player and other because if you're aiming results in the long term , you need to learn how to manage your bankroll , I like the rule of 100 buy-ins , it really reduces your risks and you play more comfortable than any other range , I read this CC articles many times and It was really helpfull for me , now I respect my game , my buy-ins range so my bankroll and my capacities.
I agree about bank roll management being the difference between a good player who isn't profitable and a good player who puts in the hours and is on a regular a winner. Not sure if 100 buy-in's is over kill but all in all, I'm guessing that your in the ''better safe than sorry'' camp and 100 buy in's is your way of protecting yourself just in case the worst happens.

I

icandonkyou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a great read. I am looking forward to learning, and taking lessons from this forum.

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Week 2 Challenge - I made a comment again on the Home poker game article , not knowing that we had a different thread to comment on.
So, for managing a bankroll :
Yes , I agree with the article ...
Start with the site that gives you the most for the least if you are going to making a deposit and I totally agree with only depositing what your limit is - If you can afford to lose it then use that amount
It is a great idea to learn how to play the game better if you want to win.
Patience and control, discipline all come into play if you want to build your bankroll and I agree with with the rule of thumb for cash tables and I tend to take that one step further and start at the lowest buyins - do the min allowed and if I lose it - I leave , if I win - I leave. That is great advice in the article and it maybe hard to do - but discipline is very helpful after you win/lose to stop and go do something else - if you have to keep playing - use Play chips !
I would advise even the players like me who Only Play For Fun to follow the guides in this article - it just makes your entertainment that much more enjoyable !

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Money in poker is like blood. Think like a modern day Dracula or Draculette, you need a ready supply of blood so make sure you have a good supply within flying distance and couple of quarts handy for a transfusion when needed. And when you start feeling thirsty choose your victims wisely with no Van Helsing's among them. Simply put, don't overfeed or you'll regret it and keep enough on hand to survive a dry spell and/or an immortal wound. That's all there is to it.;)

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management