How to make a good bluff?

fly2tsky

fly2tsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
having an aggressiveness image would help you to bluff more often. It is risky but the outcome will cover the loss if you don't deep dive. On the other hand, I would bluff when I have position. I just realize that bluffing on a wet board is really really danger though

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
get as much data from your opponent and learn what type of player he or she is. When you have that info, you would know when to bluff.

Online, HUDs can help you do it :)

TheMagic

TheMagic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, I liked what I´ve read here, but I can give you a extra tip:
A good bluff is created by a great story, telling it in the correct way. You have to stop calling your opponents bet/raise and in a non-sense move, put all your chips in the pot, or doing what most of non-sense players do, "just" bet 1BB to "test" your opponents hand strength.

D

ds276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all you need to rely on the strength of your hand. Bluff course sometimes necessary to use, but know when to stop. Actually, you should look at the situation and the reaction of players at the table. The fewer are using a bluff, the less chance of being caught.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. table image
2.1. PRF raise on high bords
2.2. PRF smalol raise/limp on dro bords
3. check raise

G

Genius41

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
first need to see how players play and how aggressive is how passive.

L

lpc1o

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes if i see that opponent try to thinvalue me i considering to bluff him

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best thing about bluffing is your timing and reading of other players i personlally like when there alotof different draws or possibilities on the boards ex. flush possibility straight possibility and straight or flush draws then when they hit if i feel my oppenent down have either of those maybe he has a high pair i push usually ending up with a fold, also hopefully your holding a bit of equity like mid pair and def dont go all in with air....

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, how are you looking to make a good first bluff? You should study all the players on your table if they are aggressive, if they do not go a lot on the flop, if the table is very dry and they are not going to flop, A lot of 2 or 3 big blinds to steal the blinds, and in case you have seen the flop and your opponent is matching your bets do not wait for your bets to pass half of your stack since that would not represent a Threat in chips for your opponent, you must bet 2 big blinds and if the flop is not very faborable let's say Q 3 A, and you have 3 and K and the bets of your opponent have been very passive and delayed you must go all in That he does not risk because it is possible that he does not have his armed hand and does not want to take risks. Well I hope you serve and I wish you luck at the tables

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If youre opponent raises preflop and on the flop he also raise, but on the turn he checks you can bet and probably he will fold on turn or river.
It works for me the best is to bluff when there are cards that can give you flush or straigt

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think everyone is bluffing because I do it so much..a HUGE flaw on my part

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must feel the situation and to know the opponent who you are going to bluff. Take a look if he likes to call a lot or he is kind of tight player, who always counts the pot odds.
When you are making bluff, take a look how much is the pot and what you could risk and win. This is essential. One of the previous posters mentioned how the best players are using this weapon. Don't bluff too often, because you could get an addiction to it. There isn't more sweet thing in poker, when you make a successful bluff. But as you know too sweet is not so healthy.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If youre opponent raises preflop and on the flop he also raise, but on the turn he checks you can bet and probably he will fold on turn or river.
It works for me the best is to bluff when there are cards that can give you flush or straigt

Sure? In this case, that you had describe, I make check-raise often (three of a kind or 2 pairs)
I would like to say one more time: only good, strong, smart players you can bluff on!!!
If you play against fish and he told to your bet it doesn't call bluffing, it just fold to push.

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone has a hand history, where hero made a good bluff, and most importantly thinks he can explain why that was a good bluff?

Even 100NL streamers usually fail to explain why a bluff is good in logical terms, however their play and reasons probably differ from micro level play too much that even if they could explain, that would not make sense to me.

I can do that.

I had (AT-off) in a middle position and opened for a game standard 3XBB. The target called behind and we went head-up to a (Kc, 7c, 5) flop. I lead off with a routine ½ pot continuation bet (c-bet) and he called. After he called, I had to think about how to win this one. I had the Ac, and since the Kc was on board, the best flush draw he could have would be: (QcJc) or (QcTc). Would he call with that pre? Possibly since he’d know I didn’t necessarily have to have a really strong hand, given my position. Would he call that flop to draw to such a hand? That’s highly unlikely, as he couldn’t eliminate suited aces from my possible openers. He’d be facing a triple threat: that he was up against a pair of kings already, that an ace might roll off, or that he was drawing to a second best flush. This opponent isn’t a typical rec-fish, and he would recognize just how RIO that play would be.

As to what he had, I put him on a weakish king up to and including (KQ) or a possible high under pair like jacks, tens, or possibly nines. He could also play (AQ) (AJ) that way, and those hands beat me, or an unlikely (AT) for the tie. These hands make sense, given the cold call pre, and the flop call of what he would recognize as a routine c-bet. If he had (AK) or pocket queens, he’d’ve reraised pre. He could have been getting tricky with pocket aces, but if he had that hand, he would raise that flop, given the two-flush, and that he couldn’t have the Ac, that a third club would kill his action, and that it looks like a safe flop for top pair, top kicker (TPTK) to play strongly.

Fourth St. brings a complete brick that couldn’t possibly help either of our hands, so I lead out for another ½ pot sized bet. He called again. Now, I’m pretty certain that I can eliminate all the aces from his range, as those hands missed completely, and this pot is getting expensive. The river brings the club I’ve been looking for, and here I push it all-in. He has me covered, but not by much, so it’s now a stack decision. He thinks about it, the 25 second timer runs out, and the five second timer starts. He lets it run out to auto fold. That he took that long to fold pretty much confirms he had (KQ) and flopped a pretty good king.

This is not the play I’d ever consider against a rec-fish. Give the rec-fish a (KQ) in this situation and there is no question: he’ll insta-call all the way to the river without a thought. This bluff worked only because my opponent was a thinking player who was capable of thinking about more than his cards. He was also thinking about what my hand could have been and how his hand stacked up against my possibilities. It also worked because I was telling him a consistent story: that I raised pre with the Ac, and some other combination that included clubs, as this makes sense, given the way I play and my position. He would also know that a c-bet was a routine play that didn’t necessarily mean I had TPTK, therefore, his call. The 4th St follow-up bet is also consistent with a nut flush draw, and since I knew where the nuts were, he could put me on that draw. The river shove was just a bit over a pot-sized bet, and also consistent with a flush draw that hit on the end. He was left with a pure guess: did I, or did I not, have it? That he let the hand time out demonstrates that he was giving the hero call serious consideration.

At small stakes and against most opponents, you should stick to small ball bluffing, like making c-bets or semibluffs. You might be able to occasionally barrel off the "one and done" player who will c-bet but give up on the next street if called.

Omahahahaha

Omahahahaha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing is that your hand is very weak (has no showdown value) and you suspect your opponent has a weak hand as well.

mm maksik

mm maksik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are going to describe here all the hands in poker ?! lol !!! do a good bluff - business situation !!! you do not continue to be afraid of losing all in the pursuit of chips! If you're not ready - find another way to play and never bluff

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only bluff after I have established a table image for myself. After that I occasionally bluff from SB or BB with a horrible looking flop, or down the line if the cards seem to favor what I have been representing.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It helps to have a good read on your opponent. Bluff the scared + cautious players , or those trying to get to the bubble safely in a tourney .

B

benjustben

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YESS! are u pokerbudda?
Poker without bluffs like live without Love. So boring.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to bluff. Especially at the beginning of the tournament. Bluffing in a pinch if I see that the enemy does not take the initiative and raises. If I have a very big stack, why do not bluff.

A

alex_Romejz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are a rookie player I do not recommend bluffing under any circumstances especially on a table outside the computers requires many characteristics of the player.

T

Tsyphon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Beyond what everyone has said, I base it on my table image, the price to bluff, and how I perceive the other player including the action leading up to it. But I play cash games and I feel it's easier there.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@Dorugremon Interesting read, thx. I would like to think this demonstrates also how complex bluffing actually is.