How do you handle "Bad Beat"?

M

Mediego

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started play poker and my early game it's good i can catch my first 50$ from 10$ but when i lose two or three "boxes" i lose all.
¿how handle the "tilt" ?
psdt: I play only NL2.
psdt 2: sorry for my english im not good in this language.

WDStipa

WDStipa

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
And I fought against it myself. After losing a hand in which I lost a large number of chips, my game collapsed and this resulted in me soon losing everything I had earned until then.

I allowed myself to get annoyed by the lost hand, and I wanted to get my chips / money back quickly, and as a result I got what I least wanted, but which is inevitable with this way of playing.

Through experience I learned to deal with it and I progressed in the game.

I believe that with experience you will understand poker better.

In poker lost hands are inevitable, you will lose hands in all sorts of ways, with your bad moves, but also with your opponent's luck and you must not allow it to shake you and affect your game badly.

In poker the ultimate goal is to make money, right? Therefore, the tournament you are currently playing is not crucial, you need to watch it in the long run, the profit you have made over a certain period of time is what is important. So, it is okay to achieve a bad result in a tournament you are playing, on the contrary, it is impossible to always achieve a good result. But the goal is, in the long run, to make a profit.

So don’t get nervous about the lost hand. Don't let it affect your game badly. Stay cool-headed and try to get back into the fight for a good result in tournament you are playing by playing disciplined and smart. Every tournament is full of challenges, in every tournament you will lose and win hands, and if you allow yourself to be thrown out of tact by a lost hand, then you will hardly make a profit in the long run.

Good luck.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started play poker and my early game it's good i can catch my first 50$ from 10$ but when i lose two or three "boxes" i lose all.
¿how handle the "tilt" ?
psdt: I play only NL2.
psdt 2: sorry for my english im not good in this language.

Bad beats are the best way to lose games.

If you only lose tournaments because of bad beats, that means you are playing really well. ;)

By understanding this, bad beats will never cause tilt because they are good.

leoniq888

leoniq888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all about math, you have to remember that. The bottom line is that even with premium hands you lose 15% of 100 hands (Approximately). This is poker and the Bad Beat can't be avoided. You have to keep that in mind to get through these situations more easily. And you have to learn how to deal with your emotions.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play poker you get bad beats, forget about them and move on, everyone gets them the same as everyone gets lucky wins. It's poker, deal with it :)

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Bad beats are a part of the game. Still, people are upset about bad beats and rightfully so, especially if you lose against one or two outer: But as bad as they are, it might help, if you accept that these things are always going to happen as long as there is a slight mathemathical chance. But of course, they suck.

Nokaut men 1997

Nokaut men 1997

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I am ashamed. As a beginner, you have no reason to worry. The more you give away at the beginning the more other players will love you. Isn't it cool to give away ...

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Bad Beat, are they good, or bad?, take the good side, you learn to live poker. Just don't get desperate, have self-control and you will have favorable results, good luck

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have long resigned myself to the fact that bad-beats are an integral part of the game of poker and I practically do not pay attention to them !!! Of course, after a bad-beat, a bitter aftertaste remains, but I understand that I played correctly and this is the main thing !!!

annaannawy

annaannawy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
Unfortunately, with online poker, we sometimes need to have some luck from time to time to win the pot.

For example , Even when your hands have Aces, some people in some cases will call his/her 38o to your all in try to knock you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
annaannawy

annaannawy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
If me,I will let it go and wait next hand that I can play,because sometimes happen in the poker games.

Madalin Poke

Madalin Poke

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
After a bad beat that almost takes me out of the game, I start to get very aggressive out of frustration. Most of the time I lose when I go all-in with a few chips of course.

Then, instead of staying locked between four walls in order to regain my inner peace, I go out of the technological zone, I turn off my phone, I go for a walk in a park and I try to connect with nature and everything around me. This helps me a lot to regain my ambition and mental strength.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, bad bet, I'm aware that it's part of it and the more time I've had poker experience, the less it affects me and the only problem when there are consecutive bad bets, there's no way I just stop playing and only come back the next day. that Mediego, when he loses a few times, starts to affect his game, in my opinion this is normal for everyone who is starting in poker and with time and with more studies on game theory you will improve this side of tilt. I've improved a lot by watching videos of the professionals' games, following players on twitch also improves your knowledge of what to do in each situation. The secret to not tilting is to study and practice with time you stop tilting.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say the best way to get over bad beats is to learn enough about whatever game you're playing to know what is the right play then you can judge what is actually a bad beat.

A lot of times people say situations are bad beats when they could have clearly avoided many situations and many times they're not getting the best risk to reward anyway. Most will just look at a hand as it was one hand vs an opponent hand while not considering anything else.

After you figure out the games then its a lot easier to decide whether you did the right thing or if a donkey got lucky on you and how deal with the outcome.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Through experience and studying the game, the hands.

For right now while you are still struggling with it, get the tilt out by just standing up, yell, curse, shake your head, jump around, punch air (I recommend punching air and nothing solid heh) etc. Get that nervous energy out physically, sit out a hand or two even if you must before you feel calm enough again. Then sit back down and continue to play your game unaffected.

Bad beats are a part of the game. With enough poker played, you get use to them.

P

PSSucks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm so used to them that they really have no effect on me. The fact that I only play freerolls and micro-stakes makes it a lot easier to deal with them as well. Two nights ago at a ring game, I had my AA re-raised until we declared all in for about $1.50 each. He flipped over KK and was given another one on the flop for a set. I just typed in, "LMAO -- so typical here!" and logged out of PokerSCARS. I don't trust the site AT ALL, and the ridiculous number of bad beats I'm handed there confirms my suspicions about them .

zamana80

zamana80

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is a game with huge amount of random luck inside. You cant predict everything and play perfect.
Sometimes you need to say "Let it be" or "Whatever".

amartimes

amartimes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Over time it gets better, i guess experience gives anyone a good lesson :)

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Not only are bad beats just a fact of poker, if you play online poker they will feature many times per day.
Perhaps your problem is a lack of volume. If you don't play a lot, then a bad beat can not only be annoying, but it can have a significant effect on your winnings.

In the end, the only answer is to just shrug and move on. One hand isn't important (even when it is).

The fact that crappy hands can runout and come out on top is one of the greatest things in poker. If you just picked up AA and won every time, the game wouldn't be the same.

Additionally, those who win with crap are falsely rewarded...and are stimulated to play ore crap. This accelerates chips back in your direction before or after your bad beat. So use it to your advantage. Raise more pre-flop against these loose-aggressives, especially with premium pocket pairs. If a flush draw flops, instead of being cautious and letting them get it for free, you can "bet for insurance", ie, you make the pot-odds so bad that calling is foolish -- and if they do, you're on the winning end 3/4 (+/-) of the time they're chasing flushes.

So how do I get to the point where I can just shrug?
Volume.
Understand WHY we want flush and straight chasers to occassionally win.
Learn more about the game.
Positive mental attitude.
Exercise more pot control (limiting the size of your swings)
Stop believing you should win every pot you are in, just because you start out ahead.
The reason it seems that too many of these bad beats occur is simply due to the fact that most hands don't get to the river.
Most of those hands, if they did go to the river, would not result in bad beats. But your brain excludes them because you don't see a full runout.
(And if you did see a full runout on every hand, you can be sure that you have fish aplenty in your pond.)

Chill bro.
Poker is to be enjoyed. Sometimes it takes some bad beats to be able to full enjoy when you're on the winning side of a race.

Cheers,
JT

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The mental game is an important part of poker, and you simply need to come to peace with the fact, that losing is part of the game, and you are not going to win every single session, you play. Good cash game or SnG players might win 55% of their sessions, and for MTT players its way less than 50%, because they tend to get either big wins or small losses.

So first and foremost losing should come as no surprice, because it is, what you signed up for. And if it start to annoy you, then just stop playing! For people struggling with tilt control it can be a good idea to set a stop loss like 3 full buyins in a cash game. So if you play 2NL and buy in full, you are allowed to reload twice in a session, and if the third bullet also goes up in flames, then you are done for the day. No excuses or exceptions made.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just take a shower and go to sleep for a few hours, for example last week in a session I lost 8 times to AA vs KK,QQ,JJ,TQ when they went allin preflop, in those situations all that remains is to close the session and clear my mind

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands