Game Selection (Day 15 Course Discussion)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a follow up. Given that the 5 % of effective stack rule seems to have quite a bit of padding, are there times when you might want to bend the rule and take less than 20 to 1 on a spec hand? Also, how much of the padding is due to the fact that you lose sometimes when you make your set and how much due to the fact that sometimes you hit and don't get paid? This might play a part in when you might want to bend the rule. Take the first part - you make your set but you lose. One of the ways you could lose is someone having a higher set, so the higher your pair maybe the more you might want to bend the rule. With the second part, against bluffy splashier players who are likely to fall into your trap if you hit your set or against players who can't fold if they hit their A you also might want to bend the rule a little. Also on tough tables where one of your best chances to get ahead might be to hit a set, should you bend the rule? Then what about multiple players in a hand? Are you more likely to accept worse odds because there is a better chance that you will win at least one persons stack and possibly more than one stack if you hit? Would love to know your thoughts, even if it's "no you shouldn't bend the rule cause you will get yourself in trouble" ha ha.

Nice follow-up questions and you make some great points here :)

With higher pairs, you're not really set-mining most of the time, so I wouldn't apply this rule. But generally speaking, yes you should absolutely bend it.

For example, if one maniac raised and another called, I would call with 22 in the big blind getting 10:1 implied since it's so likely that we get paid off when we hit our set. (And the chance that a maniac has us beat is so low given how wide their ranges are.)

So while 20:1 is a solid guideline, if you have a good reason to bend it, then go for it!

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is an important lesson to know how to choose the correct game and its difficulty according to the buy in, the type of game and depending on whether it is a single table or multitable.
Important especially when we are short on bankroll and we want to increase it quickly without risking a lot of money. Thanks.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The right choice of the game is the main success factor.
If it turns out to get prizes on a regular basis in MTT, why play the cache or even worse where you constantly lose zoom, etc.
The choice of players at the table is most relevant for cash games. For tournaments, you must adhere to the bankroll rule, and do not play in expensive tournaments.
You need to play the game in which you have a stable profit.
The video is just great. The examples explain in detail how to apply knowledge in practice, this should be sought.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This chapter was (is) definitely my problem! One thing to consider is the sample size that you're using for picking games. For instance, just because you bust 3 $2.20 buy-in events in a week doesn't mean you can't beat that stake, assuming your BR can handle losing at this stake. You should be able to play and lose in a number of these games before going down in stakes if you're properly rolled for those games.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This chapter was (is) definitely my problem! One thing to consider is the sample size that you're using for picking games. For instance, just because you bust 3 $2.20 buy-in events in a week doesn't mean you can't beat that stake, assuming your BR can handle losing at this stake. You should be able to play and lose in a number of these games before going down in stakes if you're properly rolled for those games.

Yes for sure. If you're not doing well in a particular game, but it's a small sample and you see your opponents making significant mistakes, then don't worry. (So long as you have the bankroll, like you said Johnny.) Table selection decisions can definitely come from what you're observing at the tables and what you know about your opponents, independent of short term results.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A great session thanks guys and really useful to check where I am at with the training course at the half way mark. Most of it has landed well so I am happy with progress.

The issue about game selection is good and really provides food for thought.

Looking forward to the next half of the course.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A great session thanks guys and really useful to check where I am at with the training course at the half way mark. Most of it has landed well so I am happy with progress.

The issue about game selection is good and really provides food for thought.

Looking forward to the next half of the course.
Great job making it to the halfway point, BentleyBoy! Thanks for all of your nice comments along the way :)

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
well i always played games with real money in the holdem mode, because it is the only game i know well is this holdem so i don’t risk losing my money with something that i don’t know very well, but with fictitious money i’ve played several modes but i really like the traditional holdem

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late reg

I saw in the text at least that it didn’t go into factors like late reg when talking about game selection. How do we know if it is best to max late reg or play right on time? Also do things like unlimited re-entries effect our game selection?

Thanks in advance for being so helpful everyone.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I saw in the text at least that it didn’t go into factors like late reg when talking about game selection. How do we know if it is best to max late reg or play right on time? Also do things like unlimited re-entries effect our game selection?

Thanks in advance for being so helpful everyone.
While I try to exercise caution when speaking in absolutes when describing any situation in poker, this is a rare spot where I do--when it comes to late-reg, as a winning player it is always in our best interest to be in from the start. That allows us to play more speculative hands when the effective stacks are so deep, and to potentially stack others for a tremendous number of big blinds more easily.

The only possible exceptions to this would be due to really extreme structures with a tremendous add-on once registration closes, but even then it is hard to imagine situations where it still wouldn't be better for a winning player to have been in from the beginning of the tournament.

Overall I believe that unlimited reentries tends to make tournaments a bit denser, as I think regs are a lot more likely to reenter versus a random player. Still, they do not deter me to the point of not playing; just that I would prefer they weren't structured that way. That would only effect my game selection if I had the choice between two tournaments where I could only play one (say if I was playing live), then I would pick the one without reentries if all other factors were equal.

Thanks for your nice words and glglgl! :)

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"... and look for soft games that consist mainly of weaker players ". It's amazing how well it works. Know where you are profitable and where you earn more, where a field is weaker and more essential for the player. Today I know where to put volume and I know that there is no long term to make a profit because of the strategy.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"... and look for soft games that consist mainly of weaker players ". It's amazing how well it works. Know where you are profitable and where you earn more, where a field is weaker and more essential for the player. Today I know where to put volume and I know that there is no long term to make a profit because of the strategy.
Glad you agree that good game selection is as crucial as we believe it is! :)

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Won ACR Freeroll while watch Video

I could say i passed my midterm exam today.

I was watching this video while deep in the ACR freeroll that helps me alot during the critical stage of Final Table bubble and Final Table.

To make the story short.

I Won the ACR Freeroll.

Thanks Collin and Katie for this wonderful video couse.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I could say i passed my midterm exam today.

I was watching this video while deep in the ACR freeroll that helps me alot during the critical stage of Final Table bubble and Final Table.

To make the story short.

I Won the ACR Freeroll.

Thanks Collin and Katie for this wonderful video couse.

That's great news, thanks Pinoy and congrats on winning your freeroll!

I'd be very interested to hear more about this, was there any particular concept that came in handy during the late stages or an interesting hand where something from the course proved useful?

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's great news, thanks Pinoy and congrats on winning your freeroll!

I'd be very interested to hear more about this, was there any particular concept that came in handy during the late stages or an interesting hand where something from the course proved useful?

Thanks Collin.

After finishing Week 1 and 2 of the course got 8th finished in 888 $400 $0.50 buy-in where my m/r was shove by bigger stacks with KK ( a good set up just went unlucky) but i believed i play previous hands wrong i'm shoving AJ+ up to QQ just to get the dead money because afraid of flop over card. There is big potential to win bigger pots than the blinds and ante that i can storm the cooler and made Final table.

(Wow did not realize it just yesterday game)

Realizing the mistakes i made in that game, i play post flop most of the time with good hands and to take down pots when scare cards comes in the river, set traps, value bet and got confidence in executing semi-bluff.
Watching Day 15 lesson while deep in the freeroll

Was also encourage to look more into my PT4 where i found it only now to be a powerful tool to simulate different scenario.

Thanks again to both of you, Collin and Katie for bring my poker game to the next level.

Last edited:
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Collin.

After finishing Week 1 and 2 of the course got 8th finished in 888 $400 $0.50 buy-in where my m/r was shove by bigger stacks with KK ( a good set up just went unlucky) but i believed i play previous hands wrong i'm shoving AJ+ up to QQ just to get the dead money because afraid of flop over card. There is big potential to win bigger pots than the blinds and ante that i can storm the cooler and made Final table.

Realizing the mistakes i made in that game, i play post flop most of the time with good hands and to take down pots when scare cards comes in the river, set traps, value bet and got confidence in executing semi-bluff.

Was also encourage to look more into my PT4 where i found it only now to be a powerful tool to simulate different scenario.

Thanks again to both of you, Collin and Katie for bring my poker game to the next level.
So glad to hear about your score! $400 in a $.50 tournament is a tremendous result! Thanks for sharing, and we're so glad to hear the course is proving helpful to you :)

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much Catie, and Collin, they have done a great job, with all this excellent study material, and best of all, it is free, I am sure that many have helped us improve our game.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Game selection is being at the right place, the right time, with the right opponents!It is being a wise captain!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much Catie, and Collin, they have done a great job, with all this excellent study material, and best of all, it is free, I am sure that many have helped us improve our game.

Thanks Ammje!

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So glad to hear about your score! $400 in a $.50 tournament is a tremendous result! Thanks for sharing, and we're so glad to hear the course is proving helpful to you :)

Thanks Katie

Yes, its very helpful in putting my poker games in to the next level.

Now having more deeper run but monster hand getting cracked also became a daily norm.

Yesterday finished 6th in $0.28 cents - $1K Gtd.

Will continue the course today and will update.

Thanks again Katie and Collin

Last edited by a moderator:
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Katie

Now having more deeper run but monster hand getting cracked also became a daily norm.

Yesterday finished 6th in $0.28 cents ACR $1K Gtd.

Hooray! Good luck this weekend if you play! :)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Collin.

Thanks Katie

Yesterday finished 6th in $0.28 cents - $1K Gtd.

Love that you are letting us know how your game is progressing as you go through the course. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In the game selection I usually play games that I have but knowledge so I don’t put my money at risk, when I am happy with something I don’t know yet, I enter the lowest possible game or even with fictitious money to learn

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the game selection I usually play games that I have but knowledge so I don’t put my money at risk, when I am happy with something I don’t know yet, I enter the lowest possible game or even with fictitious money to learn

It's a good approach to do exactly this and start off playing micro-stakes or freerolls and then build up. Play money can have benefits too; your opponents often won't be taking the game seriously, so that leads to nice practice in value betting and adjusting to no-foldem-games.

Top 10 Games