Freerolls are good for training

I

infiniti888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, freerolls are really useful. You can get not only experience, but also reward.

jarre1977

jarre1977

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree but freeroll games people just try too easy all in and fish ships.

Rvstam

Rvstam

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree you can get experience, but only if 10,000 people will be 100. And all that takes place up to this point - it's a lottery. Ukrainians Russian Brazilians on any cards put Allin. Its not fun :D

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think the fr are a great opportunity to practice long-term gaming strategies, also how to apply them against maniacs, callstation .. watching an interview with a professional player on YouTube a few years ago (i dont remember the name) he said entering sometimes to the freerolls of pokerstars to practice "things" then i understood why those fr in ps are so hard ..

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The specifics of the game on freerolls are very different from cash tournaments. There are a lot of fish on freerolls. As the first step for learning to play poker is suitable.

Anjo

Anjo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This type of play can happen even in a tournament with a high buy-in.
Can it happen in a particular hand, of a good player for some reason being forced to call with a bad hand, or am I wrong?

Anjo

Anjo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We still have the possibility of not having to invest in a poker tournament.

Anjo

Anjo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I'm not even you, I'm playing Freerolls every day and improving my game every day.
I'll still make money from it.
Success for us!
Hugs and GL

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are a good way to begin to learn the game and learn the importance of basic concepts like hand selection, position, patience. They are different from a true buy-in tournament like a freeze out plays differently than a rebuy tournament.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls: From All-in Monkeys to Top-notch play

The thing with freerolls is that at the beginning, rounds 1-2 and then new players popping in, you've got to wait out (or take advantage of) the "All-in" monkeys. Play quality is fairly low early on. Now, late in the tourney, like final table late, you actually do get high quality play. If you can do well on freeroll final tables, I would suggest you equate that to doing well on real money sit-n-go's. You didn't have to weed through thousands of top quality players to get there, but once there you do get the opportunity to see what good play is all about. Kinda like starting a sit-n-go where everyone starts with different chips.

RAFAELO1

RAFAELO1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they only help strategy-wise closer to the money because at the beginning you have tons of crazy players who just all-in with K9.

I completely agree. Between the idiots that go all in every hand and those that choose to constantly run out the clock and upset the flow of the game, its enough to get tilted very easily. Most of the freeroll players do not take the game seriously. I find it very frustrating.

gotace503

gotace503

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agreed, and its good just to figure out how the sites work. but i have had tremendous bad beats on free roll.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's getting more complicated the higher you get!!!I just won one of these MDS freebuys:elefant:, we were just 4 left and almost finished before the rebuy period (3 seats), but there entered a whale:eek: ( I suppose he was ACR)
He rebought like 25 times (1$each), he made it finally to the ticket. It took an hour, although we were almost there.
Don't think it's getting easier with higher levels:) Money meets skills!!!

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree you can get experience, but only if 10,000 people will be 100. And all that takes place up to this point - it's a lottery. Ukrainians Russian Brazilians on any cards put Allin. Its not fun :D
Not all of them, and UK, Poland, mexico, germany and the rest of the world has donks! It's just more of them, because they are poor countries and a cent makes worth a penny there, so they try for free. Take advantage of them, and welcome them to our world!

F

FreeDom1998

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you, personally, in my experience I can say that I pulled my game through freerolls ... when I first started playing them, I flew out of the tournament and did not go far, but now I can go far (and began to reach final tables, which can not but rejoice)

BlackMamba

BlackMamba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that playing freerolls is a great workout. Nothing to lose and know the game.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general, in the bad of bad players, but in the initial stages of a serious tournament there can also be serious mistakes and stupid flights. Although it can be at any stage because of a bluff or moving flush, straight, full house or something else ...

In freerolls you can not only train, but also get starting capital for playing in other tournaments. This, too, do not forget.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that freerolls are good only at the initial stage of poker knowledge, to consolidate the theory of hands positions, it is best to learn poker in tournaments at least a minimum buy-in

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he agrees, at the most initial level when you study game, structure, you get used to software of frirolla are very necessary. but if long to play only frirolla---it there will be wrong strategy and loss of time. and even, to play on microlimits, it will be necessary studies on new.

Anjo

Anjo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a fact, but it's still a good tournament to train our skills.
I understand it's a slightly different tournament, we have to play against those adversities.

Anjo

Anjo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We have to understand that the Freeroll is not a normal tournament, there are people of all levels.
We have to learn to play against all of them and this can take a few dozen tournaments.

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We have to understand that the Freeroll is not a normal tournament, there are people of all levels.
We have to learn to play against all of them and this can take a few dozen tournaments.
or more but you re right you learn to play against differnt type of people

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing with freerolls is that at the beginning, rounds 1-2 and then new players popping in, you've got to wait out (or take advantage of) the "All-in" monkeys. Play quality is fairly low early on. Now, late in the tourney, like final table late, you actually do get high quality play. If you can do well on freeroll final tables, I would suggest you equate that to doing well on real money sit-n-go's. You didn't have to weed through thousands of top quality players to get there, but once there you do get the opportunity to see what good play is all about. Kinda like starting a sit-n-go where everyone starts with different chips.

Agree. ABC poker really works here. Besides the AI monkeys you also have limpers with very high VPIP 40%+ trying to score huge pots. Tight Aggressive Poker does really well in the early stages. bluffing will rarely work, unless you've identified strong LAGs, and you will find players calling you down with mid or third pair even. Be aggressive with strong made hands vs calling stations. Exploit them without mercy.

In the mid stages player pool will have condensed to the more higher quality play that give you more room. Positional play becomes really important in these instances. There's a chance you'll also encounter a luckbox calling station whale that got extremely lucky in the early stages and racked a massive amount of chips with bad play. They will try and be table bullies with any two cards. These are the best players to double/quadruple up with and they will end up making even more dubious calls, tilting their chips away, when they start to lose chips to better players. Watch out for these gold mines.

Late stage play may involve quite a bit of push/fold play (15bbs or less) and it's really important to know you position, table image and play styles of those around you. Table observations of key players from mid stage play might come in handy here, unless you're abruptly unseated. If you're confident of making the final 2 tables then it's worth opening the few remaining (3-5 tables) to see how your opponents play to formulate a game plan to aim at the final table.

Whatever you hone and polish in the freerolls is extremely useful in the micros as well because it's near identical to how things play out at those stakes.

The only exception for freerolls I've seen are the cardschat freerolls. You will encounter much higher level poker from the get go because almost all of them are as good or better than you are (applies to me atleast). Good luck :D

Last edited:
Freeroll Passwords