Freeroll - share your thoughts

M

maloxu82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fr

If I don't win some $ I'll deposit money because If you want to cash in freerolls you must be really lucky and in freerolls I can't use stuff from books that I'm reading.

Btw played today another freeroll .
I was in 1500 out of 5500 players , blinds got big - level up every 3 minutes so I must go all in sooner or later.
I went all in with 99 and lost to A6s , ofc guy hit flush draw .
I don't know If my skills are poor and I'm just bad player or I don't have luck lately.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have only recently started to,play poker, you need to get yourself a book or two or get on a site that will give strategy advice from a start. Playing tight at the start is good advice, and you need to assess your opponents and watch how they play and what they are playing and also what you are playing and what is your table image. You also need to float a few value hands early on to get involved in some pots while the blinds are low relative to your starting stack. As the game progresses, you need to loosen up and change your strategy to start building and supporting your stack, such as stealing blinds and opening wider. Give it a go. If you get beat, that's fine as long as your play is good and you learn from any mistakes.

Patience is the most important. Don't get drawn into playing rubbish hands and remember AJ isn't that good..... Nothing pre flop,is good once the flop lands, and this is where you need to start playing better poker and making better decisions.

Good luck.

darkelf1

darkelf1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yesterday i played My first CC freeroll (15+) finsihed 26 place, had fun time... ...looking foward for tuesdays 15s+ freeroll!

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yesterday i played My first CC freeroll (15+) finsihed 26 place, had fun time... ...looking foward for tuesdays 15s+ freeroll!
I know the feeling. The level is higher than a normal freeroll, so you can play a better game. Last week I played my first game too in the 15+. Got 4th, which doubled my bankroll :cool:

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recommend playing freeroll because the practice it gives you experience without risking money.
It is a more aggressive game, poker is played but also play only with luck in mind.
Be patience, comes only with premium cards or good projects, the experience will help in subsequent tournaments.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can feel your pain. I really believe if I did not have BRs I would not be able to stress over those $10 freerolls. But it's getting tough on freeroll players here in the US. I don't know anything about your ability to make a deposit, but if you can, you should. And from there start at the lowest level. I think it will make a big difference playing with your own money, ACR/BCP have the 2nl cash tables. Really my friend poker is tough. It takes a lot of time, so take one peice of the game and work on that only, but still be thinking of others that you can ask about. This is a great place to learn the game, but you have to do the foot work. This is what I did. Every question I asked and got advice about, I took it all to the table. It worked well for me, and matter of fact every thing I know about poker came from right here. Well GL to you.

D

doom

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
well it all depends you should care for sitouts and do not forget to steal their blinds and also if it is turbo tournament you must risk a lot on begin so you had big stack when babble time comes

D

doom

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
i am talking about freeroll with huge field

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early in freerols my strategy is tanky poker and probably should be for mostly of us, giving the fact ppl call you with junk cards, so making a good chip stack is a must.. 8k I'd say it should be enough to not push till the first pause of tournament, then you can change the strategy beeing more aggressive

Dutchtegon

Dutchtegon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you have to be a bit loser. My main goal in the early stages is also building a stack but you can even do that with crep, you just need to bluff them of because they think you are a tight player. Even when you fail, it was just a freeroll. You can do that in the later stages as well.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys ,

I'm playing poker for couple weeks and like everyone I started playing freerolls to build my bankroll.

I played 25-30 freeroll tournaments and my bankroll is huge 0,24$.

My strategy for freerolls was pretty simple - waiting for good hands and play , not wasting time with crap , try to build stack early , sit n wait and onw thing I can say - my strategy sucks.

My main problem I think is that I can't build my stack. In every freeroll in late part I never had stack above average and blinds hurting me like crazy.

Last freeroll: went all in with pocket Jacks and later limp , hit some aces and build my stack to 7k chips. And from that moment I got crap all the time. Blinds were so big that I dropped to 4k and went all in with AJs versus big stack with KJs.
Flop came 59JK9 , he hit two pair and I lost.
Please guys if someone plays freerolls a lot can you share some tips , advices n strategies ? I mean I know that luck is a big factor but It must be some good strategy.
I have built my entire BR from freerolls. I have never made a deposit. The site I cash in freerolls most is BetOnline. In the past 3 days I have cashed 7 times.(Yes I still play freerolls with a BR) Americas Cardroom had a big freeroll series in Feb. and I cashed over $150.00. You need to be patient. In the beginning if i can get in a hand for just the blinds I play any 2 cards and if I catch the nuts I slowplay and try to trap a bluffer. It can be done I assure you. Good luck! Try a few different tactics, and I hope to see you at the real money tables soon.:D:D

ollaf

ollaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trying to capitalize chips early and be aggressive near the bubble .

K

kripkie22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls good or bad

when you play freerolls do they make your game strong or weak when playing real money tournys on line

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how you play them. The vast majority of freeroll players don't take it seriously - the argument being that it doesn't cost anything and they are just playing for "fun". That's why you see thousands of players bust out in the first few minutes.

You're probably playing freerolls if you can't afford to play for real money, which generally means that you've decided to build your bankroll from scratch rather than making a deposit. That's a good way to begin!

Play really tight at the beginning because even AA is a weak starting hand when three to five players go all-in pre-flop. Once 75% of the entrants have busted out (which won't take long), you can actually get a very realistic learning experience from playing a freeroll.

C

CSINSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you play freerolls do they make your game strong or weak when playing real money tourneys on line

I think part of being a good/great poker player is experience. Every time you play poker whether it is in a freeroll or a real money MTT you gain experience. Not sure how gaining experience is a bad thing.

One of the mantras I try to play by is I should play well regardless of the stakes.

Last night I made the FT of a $100 freeroll & I know I played it exactly like I would have played if I had paid $ for the tourney.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing the private freerolls like they offer here is an excellent way to work on your game. They are extremely competitive with the added benefit of posting for hand analysis and discussions on those tournaments.

Some of those low prize pool with high entrants maybe not so much.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with playing freeroll as it represent zero risk to your bankroll and always nice to have it as supplementary when you're multi tabling 2-3 real money games.

G

Gabriel Pinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are the types of tournaments that usually have the best performance , in addition to my best results. I like a lot of these tournaments . I was sorry when the pokerstars abolished with freerolls, because I had 3 tickets.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This type of game is good to train your skills for when you play for money get more comfortable

Bertochi

Bertochi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think frererolls do not help you to improve your skills, but help to gain discipline, and dont hurt your bankroll, witch is great :)

Hugo Leonardo pinheiro

Hugo Leonardo pinheiro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There four years ago there were freerolls with great opportunities to start a bankroll. today has few quality

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are good if you play them like you play for real money if you call and bet anything then your game cannot be better.
I like freerolls like CC freerolls with little players and good prizes then all players play for real and there are not any donks

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basic ABC poker strategy definitely works. You do need to pick your spots though because everyone is playing so loose. Try not to play at all for the first few hands, till things settle down a little.

After that, opening from early/middle position is a often a recipe for disaster. If you must, only do so with a premium hand and don't shove yet. Wait to see how many others are going to join in the hand. The fewer opponents, the better your odds. AA only wins 50% of the time against 3 other all-in opponents. AJ may be a great hand on the button if you're first in, but it's the pits UTG.

I differ from those who say not to bluff. You can bluff effectively later on in a freeroll. Again, you need to pick your spot and your opponent. I've made it to the final table in freerolls with 20K entries by playing solid ABC poker.

PS - OgKb recommended the PS poker school. That's a good idea, but don't expect the players in the Poker School freerolls to be practicing what they should have learned in school. The Poker School Open Skill League freerolls are the wildest I've ever seen. It's like they're all intentionally breaking every rule in the book.

T

Turn7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early freerolls I try to avoid playing bad hands although they are suited or although you would play them normally like QJ, QT, ...

The main problem in freerolls is that a lot of players don't take it that seriously. they always move all in hoping for luck, and then you can loose even with KK against 27o. Anyway its possible to enter the bubble in freerolls

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PS - OgKb recommended the PS poker school. That's a good idea, but don't expect the players in the Poker School freerolls to be practicing what they should have learned in school. The Poker School Open Skill League freerolls are the wildest I've ever seen. It's like they're all intentionally breaking every rule in the book.
Yep, and you would expect, when you reach the top 1% that it gets better, but it doesn't. A lot of people that got there needed (and got) a lot of luck to get there...