Freeroll - share your thoughts

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What works for me is playing absurdly tight to start. Too many people playing bingo to try to do anything fancy. You'll find enough people willing to pay you off. Take advantage of this time to learn about the other players at the table are. Main thing I look for is who can I get to pay me off on my premium hands. As the donks start falling out, you can looking for steal opportunities. That earlier tight play should start earn you some respect when you play back. Find the other rocks and roll them off their hands. That is when I look for the ones that have not adjusted and are still playing too tight. Keep pressure on but pay attention that they don't trap you. Closer to the money start making players make decisions. Keep them uncomfortable and they will make mistakes. Just keep in mind what mistake you are trying to make. Do you want them to fold a hand they should have played or play a hand they should have folded?

bonestattoo

bonestattoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freeroles teach you a lot, who donks, who bluffs, but more importantly, who plays to win. watch and learn from those who slowly roll their stacks, not who just gets a huge stack from a knuckled all-in.
i will play on free money any time whether it's .10 cents or it's a dollar.

good luck, hope to see you on a table.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep it tight. The freerolls are a place that you will seldom not get good action on your big hands. It sucks being card dead but folding will let you see a couple more next deal that may change your stack the right way. Also be prepared to called with some crazy crap that will beat you but such is poker.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From what I heard poker sites won't let you cash out without any deposit? Is that the case for ipoker? You may wanna check that because you don't wanna find out about it when you are cashing out. That would be really disappointing. ipoker is not a US player friendly poker site so maybe things are different out of US.

Don't worry mate, when it'll be time for a cashout - I'll make a deposit.
Recently heard a story about 17 y.o boy who won approx 250K at pokerstars. He couldn't cashout because restriction is for 18+ y.o. and depositors only. Yeah, he could deposit, but also he had to wait 7-8 months for restriction liftoff, he couldn't wait and wasted 150K+ at cash tables...
kinda sad story, but anyways if he saved 50-100K it's still nice for 18 y.o.

M

maloxu82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finally cashed in last CC freeroll. I took only 0,5$ but it's better than nothing. In friday I got bad beat on the bubble and ended on 50 place (45 places cashed ).

I think I played these freerolls much better than previous where I went couple times all in with marginal hands because I thought that I have good read on opponent.

Two major things I realized I should improve:

1. extracting most value out of my premium hands - I realized that I'm taking the most value out of hands like Q10 or KJ , even AQ and cannot force my opponent to pay me out when I got AA or KK. Whenever I got premium I play like idiot and get only small pots.

2. playing a lot of hands when blinds are 10/20 or 15/30 - I mean this is just my opinion but I realized that it's very profitable. You can play a lot more hands when blinds are low because even If you'll raise 75-90 chips and someone reraises you can get away from that. I like playing hands like Q10 , K10 , KJ when blinds are low because if I'll hit the flop I'm in good shape and can win something.

Problem is when you play too tight - blinds are 100/200 , you got blinded and got left with 1200 chips , in this spot it's just much harder to raise 1/3 of your stack. You must facing difficult decisions - when you get KJ you must decide if you want to push all in with this or wait couple minutes and luckily hit a premium or pocket pair.

Last edited:
radman

radman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much aggree with what has been said in prev post. As far as no bluffing being called 72o. I found the trick is to survive the first 90 mins to 2hrs. During this time most of your sitouts and bingo players have been eliminated. If you have a stack above avg or better you are in good shape. I found that things in general have calmed down and people are starting to play somewhat like they care. As you get late in field towards the bubble play tightens up even in freerolls. This is oppertunity time for you to grab some blinds and keep your stack stabile, till you get a hand. When the bubble pops you will see alot of ss pushing. Becareful here dont get caught up in the mess by thinkling i got his stack covered. This is when 72o will get you. Fior me the hardest part of the FR is surviving till late stages.

sorry sp

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finally cashed in last CC freeroll. I took only 0,5$ but it's better than nothing. In friday I got bad beat on the bubble and ended on 50 place (45 places cashed ).

1. extracting most value out of my premium hands - I realized that I'm taking the most value out of hands like Q10 or KJ , even AQ and cannot force my opponent to pay me out when I got AA or KK. Whenever I got premium I play like idiot and get only small pots.

Congrats on your cashout.
I assume you start slow playing these premium hands and you don't get paid off. Slow playing is a cool thing to do if you are up against a really aggressive player. If not play them like another good hand. Feel free to shove preflop if you are not deep and get reraised. Maybe you loose that hand but long term it is profitable

W

watplays

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Frolls

that honestly is the best strategy in freerolls, you have to play ABC poker when you play such bad people because they will virtually call with anything. bluffing is a no go. even I will go into a freeroll and just bloat the end game stacks and just go all-in first hand if I'm bored

This exactly they are essentially train wrecks the first couple hours. Seriously have seen the silliest things during this time. Just sit back i agree do not go all in pre early you might get called by 5 random hands.