Freeroll - share your thoughts

N

NaixDK

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll try to play cardschat freerolls but first I must reach 15+ posts so maybe next week

B

Bury

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the freerolls the worst thing is that they are for free. People don'y respect their stacks and do strangr things which they wouln't if they pay for the entrance...

lionking_kg

lionking_kg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should have some kind a strategy for freerolls - early stage, mid and late stage, but primarily you have to play good hands and possibly in late position and when you hit good hand dont be to slow.
I also like to play freerolls.
Cheers

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On turbo/hyper-turbo small stakes and freerolls, you have about 5 minutes to get a stack and make a deep run, so you have about a maximum of 20 hands. Sometimes, you won't get cards and you have to pick your spot to make a move. Invariably, you get 3 5 suited and 8 10 off going or calling all-in and hitting big against big pocket pairs and big aces. Cardschat 15+ freerolls give you the best chance to make a run because you don't have a huge field and you might even have a chance to play real poker. Otherwise, be prepared to play bingo, and win money 1 out of 20 times. That's micro for you.

Bladepengeee

Bladepengeee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just got the 5th place on the yesterday Cardschat freeroll i won 5.70$ i wanted get better place but im out with JJ

wanted2090

wanted2090

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its pretty good to play safe in freerolls.. since ur opponents have nothing to lose and call almost everything.

M

maloxu82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another suckout today. Left with 16bb and I got JJ.

I raised a little bit , got ge-raised by LAG , went all in vs A5o ....

ofc he hit his ace ..... I'm exhausted . I played good but like always I got bad beat .

M

MrBlack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well said

Hard to bluff at freerolls. Especially at the beginning anyway. discipline !!!
that honestly is the best strategy in freerolls, you have to play ABC poker when you play such bad people because they will virtually call with anything. bluffing is a no go. even I will go into a freeroll and just bloat the end game stacks and just go all-in first hand if I'm bored

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just got the 5th place on the yesterday Cardschat freeroll i won 5.70$ i wanted get better place but im out with JJ

Nice finish. Anytime you make a final table you have to call it a success. Gl in future tourneys. I seem to make it to 5 to 10 from the bubble and then lose a race. I'm talking about CardsChat freerolls. I gurss maybe I should play tighter near the bubble. Standard play never seems to work for me.

B

blablablaxaxaxa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
is a great advantage for beginners to play in such tournaments,great!

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play really tight at the beginning because even AA is a weak starting hand when three to five players go all-in pre-flop. Once 75% of the entrants have busted out (which won't take long), you can actually get a very realistic learning experience from playing a freeroll.
AA might be a 'weak hand' against 5 players but still I think you should go all-in pre-flop with 5 opponents. Even when all 8 people go all in pre-flop you should call them, even though you have only 33% chance of winning. It's still a freeroll and going out the first hand is ok because you didn't lose money, nor time like that. If you win it, you're almost for sure going to make a deep run and end in the money.
Even in a tourney with buy in, I would call when everyone goes all in with, while holding AA. 2 out of 3 times you will be out, while 1 out of 3 times you will have a huge stack to make a deep run which will compensate the 2 early busts.

D

diserg1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only when you sit down to play in the Freeroll, immediately see a strange and raises all in. This is because in free tournaments a large number of newcomers (some of them did not even know the rules), and players are not risking their own money. So use the usual strategy here is pointless.

C

CSINSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys ,

I'm playing poker for couple weeks and like everyone I started playing freerolls to build my bankroll.

I played 25-30 freeroll tournaments and my bankroll is huge 0,24$.

My strategy for freerolls was pretty simple - waiting for good hands and play , not wasting time with crap , try to build stack early , sit n wait and onw thing I can say - my strategy sucks.

My main problem I think is that I can't build my stack. In every freeroll in late part I never had stack above average and blinds hurting me like crazy.

Last freeroll: went all in with pocket Jacks and later limp , hit some aces and build my stack to 7k chips. And from that moment I got crap all the time. Blinds were so big that I dropped to 4k and went all in with AJs versus big stack with KJs.
Flop came 59JK9 , he hit two pair and I lost.
Please guys if someone plays freerolls a lot can you share some tips , advices n strategies ? I mean I know that luck is a big factor but It must be some good strategy.

U say you wait until you have a good hand to play. I think that is the wrong strategy. While I agree it is hard to bluff people in early stages of a freeroll that doesn't mean it's impossible. U only get a pocket pair 1 out of every 16 hands dealt on average. Does that mean you are going to fold 15 out of every 16 hands? That seems ludicrous doesn't it? I know probably have broadway cards in your range to play or at least I hope U do. Negreanu once said most people are looking for ways to fold while I'm looking for reasons to play. If U keep waiting on ONLY good cards to play then U will become so predictable then it would be easy to beat you. Let's say you have AK & you raise preflop. Board is 942 are you going to c-bet or are you just going to check. It seems like you would just check & I could easily figure out if U have it U bet & if U don't have it U check & I would easily take the pot away from U almost every time. Loosen up a little, but do it while you are in position. Position matters tremendously.

cese1962

cese1962

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play freerolls

I've seen a lot players, when they play freerolls complain about many "myths" (call abnormalities that usually do not occur in tournaments with buys). But the question I ask is this, it is worth playing a freeroll that only rewards the first?

M

makrarom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say, there's always some value in playing a freeroll, since it is for free. But some people do seem to lose motivation due to a number of players in a freeroll. Hence, I'd say it depends on the size of a freeroll - the maximum players allowed.

9peso

9peso

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm sure playing only freerolls is nonsense. If you want win a lot of money you must deposit cash to your account and play tourneys with buy-in about 3$ minimum. In big tourneys there are more payment places and it's much money to win, even for the smallest place.

D

doctor zver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are suitable to gain experience. But to take them seriously not worth it and strategy from books there is not ideal

9peso

9peso

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My strategy: First i give All-In. When i win some stack I only fold for 5-10 minutes. Than I play All-In again.

B

blablablaxaxaxa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy: First i give All-In. When i win some stack I only fold for 5-10 minutes. Than I play All-In again.

i think so u 1st 5-10 min only hope lucky :D

M

MakeUcryalot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is mainly waiting until you win like 200 coinflips in a row, then you win the tournament. I actually laughed at the example AJ VS KJ because you seemed flabbergasted when in reality that happens roughly 1/3 times you play an card with one pair and one overcard. It happens. Poker is playing equally as well and waiting for it not to.

2Pacavelli

2Pacavelli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
basically have to play for value at the start , knowing take advantage of the weak players , and when the blinds get expensive trying to print a more aggressive game

billbaffles

billbaffles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing about 5-7 freerolls a day recently and so far i have won 2 and cashed in quite a few of them but i agree that tight ABC poker works early. I get unlucky a lot with AK-AJ where opponent flops a pair. I recommend raising to see a flop and go from there. When the blinds get big look to steal especially near the bubble in late position with Ax or 10+ or better or pocket pairs to keep from getting blinded out. You might get called and lose but it is less likely on the button with only the blinds left to act depending on the stack sizes.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't give up dude. 24 cents in bankroll is better than nothing. I'm not willing to deposit to any poker room, only willing to cash out :D So far i managed to get 28 dollars in my bankroll at ipoker network AAAAND Thanks to CardsChat! I've won 3rd place in Tuesdays freeroll and added 10.5$ to my bankroll on pokerstars. That's during 1.5 months of gambling 3-4 evenings a week. Going to start playing cash at 4 tables at lowest limit when my bankroll will be 100$+
Keep playing tight and you'll be athe final table one day.
Cheers for the CardsChat!

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are more based on luck an not so on strategy! bluffing, semi-bluffing, or any fancy move is not useful because nobody folds! they call you with a bottom pair and you go broke! You can raise 3-4 BB preflop and bet the hell out of it if you flopped top pair or batter. You can play proper poker but they don't so eventually you hit some cooler and loose. It is painful but that's the truth!:joyman:

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't give up dude. 24 cents in bankroll is better than nothing. I'm not willing to deposit to any poker room, only willing to cash out :D So far i managed to get 28 dollars in my bankroll at ipoker network AAAAND Thanks to CardsChat! I've won 3rd place in Tuesdays freeroll and added 10.5$ to my bankroll on PokerStars. That's during 1.5 months of gambling 3-4 evenings a week. Going to start playing cash at 4 tables at lowest limit when my bankroll will be 100$+
Keep playing tight and you'll be athe final table one day.
Cheers for the CardsChat!

From what I heard poker sites won't let you cash out without any deposit? Is that the case for ipoker? You may wanna check that because you don't wanna find out about it when you are cashing out. That would be really disappointing. ipoker is not a US player friendly poker site so maybe things are different out of US.