Is folding one of the most valuable skills in poker?

M

mortimccarthy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definetely i learned that lesson tonight had AK hearts called two all in's before flop even though i knew i was probably behind but just could not fold, lesson learnt at least i guess..

U

UberPokerFan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding is very important but don't tell anybody. Especially the fool who just cold-called a raise and reraise then cold-called 32 & 27 BB all-ins with K2o. Plays like that keep me playing poker.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

Yes, folding and saving your chips for a later hand can be very valuable.

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its hard but finding out the hard way of a streak loss, best to fold.

Markjduk

Markjduk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You will fold more hand than you play. Laying down big pocket pairs is hard but essential at times.

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always joke around and call the game No Limit Foldem.
Yea, for sure one of the most important skills in the game!

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will say yes because of the amounts of chips you will save . Not being a calling station or making too many hero calls. At the end , I believe thats what makes the difference

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Is it inportant, yes but is it the most important I dont know but I also dont thing so. I would have to say one of the most inportant things to know is when not to fold em. I have seen people make fold and show me that floor me. Why, they are close to the money or just have a feeling and just know I have it. yes there are time you should and need to do this but there are players who just wont go for it when they should.

det0nate

det0nate

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a 50 / 50 there is no right or wrong here..
It all depends on the hand , position and how much its going to cost.
Is my opinion anyways :/

FlushyFab

FlushyFab

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the late great Stu use to say. “Fold, live to fold again” sometimes I’m more happy when I make a good fold. bluffing is good too, lol :cool:

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
This is something I’ve been saying for a long time
The hands you can throw away at the right times can be just as, if not more valuable :cool:

F

fastfash25

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For sure. If you can learn to "live to fight another day" you'll find your self going a lot deeper in tournaments as well as winning on cash games. It took me many years before i could fold QQ preflop. I take someone bluffing easier than i can getting felted.

jj77jwj

jj77jwj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it's very important to fold if you don't fold you will never win unless you are a hot streak but you will lose that sooner or later you cant win them all that's poker for ya

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Without a doubt, fold is one of the most valuable player skills. I think that this skill is gained only with experience. Few beginners are able to make such a difficult decision as a fold.
I'm just learning how to fold all hands without regret right now by playing qualifiers with 20 tickets in prizes. I always fold AA / KK in them, i just play in sit-out mode and sometimes see these hands fold )))
And this is the right strategy for those games because in sit-out, i almost always reach the prizes )) About 95% of times.
I think this is a good way to improve your folding skill :D

G

glebchekotin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think selfcontrol and rational thinking are very important and these skills help u to press fold

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not the most valuable) But a very important skill to leave the distribution in time.

MikeDTT

MikeDTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it is other times it isnt.

94EXPOS

94EXPOS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course knowing when to fold is extremely important. Knowing what starting hands to play and in what position is even more important.

K

klaus210dieter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold most of the time.
useully not play more as 13 % of my hands in a tournament.
A fold does cost less as a unlucky call lol

GabaGabaHey

GabaGabaHey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day"

I can't even count the number of times that I had good hands, even based on the cards on the table, but still lost when I could not read the guy with the winning hand.

It would have been better if I had folded and stuck around for the next hand, but I just felt that my cards deserved to win.

I think folding is a lot easier in person when you can read a player better.
Online is much tougher.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of my worst leaks is chasing straights, pretty much knowing that the odds say I should fold against a player that I'm sure already has a good hand.

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is surely one of the biggest skills in poker

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the odds of you making your hand is less than the bet you have to call, than a fold is a positive move. On the other hand, if you believe your opponent is chasing a straight or flush, than make your bet size big enough to make a call bad according to odds of making his hand.

davidsincara

davidsincara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is a very important superpower, knowing when to fold, and WHY to fold, i mean.
Iif you just folds beacuse wow, a BIG BET on Turn or RIVER and don't understand the spot and what happends before you just going to be very VERY Exploitable

Folding in Poker