Is folding one of the most valuable skills in poker?

rbackmann

rbackmann

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes laying down a strong hand at the right time is the key to going deep

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the opponents. Absolutely everything. Here, everyone is right and wrong at the same time. FOLD is a useful and necessary option. But the most important thing is to watch your opponents. Against someone it will save chips , and against someone it is a useless option.

pro100phil

pro100phil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, the ability to fold a good starting hand is very important in poker. At micro limits, many players cannot fold AA or KK on a bad board. Therefore, yes, the ability to pass is an important skill in poker

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
In poker, youc not know what cards your oponnent have. You can only think if he have stronger hand than your. So , I think, that the folding in poker is the way , how you can win tournaments, by geting lucky and fold in right time. ;):fight:

gupiel0k69

gupiel0k69

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
For me one of the hardest thing to do was (and somewhat still is) to actually fold the hand when i knew i should fold. At least in my situation there's always that little troll saying " but you have to check if you're right, call him now just to check and you will know that you should 100% fold the next time". Lost a ton of chips that way, it's hard to fight against that at least for me.

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
For me one of the hardest thing to do was (and somewhat still is) to actually fold the hand when i knew i should fold. At least in my situation there's always that little troll saying " but you have to check if you're right, call him now just to check and you will know that you should 100% fold the next time". Lost a ton of chips that way, it's hard to fight against that at least for me.

not only is it difficult for you, I think it’s hard for everyone, wow how difficult ... I can’t even find words how difficult :(

O

Oldopoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned to fold some hands in the past and i had never better results than now !!!

Bleeis

Bleeis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, there are people who do not know how to press the fold button with AA, a serious mistake

T

TongueLashin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What the pros say

Pros joke and call the game "Texas Fold Em." Though it is a little funny, they are not joking. It is better to erroneously fold a winning hand then to proceed with a loser a whole lot of the time. There are exceptions to the rule. Look for information about stack sizes in MTT or even the video about "M Stacks" by my little shero Annette Oberstad to understand those exceptions.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Folding", "Texas Fold'em" is good skill , but not the most important skill. If you see some very good player, I mean if you watch how he plays "honestly", you will see how he call as calling station. He just don't give up. Because for the call you need so small pot ods, equity. It is not so important. I speek very honest right now, I am very drunk, you know. I notes the beginners they fold too much. If they watch me, they say "you are calling station". But I am not, I am pretty tight player, I am a nit. But I call very often, because I see value in this. I see money in this. A small amount. Don't give up , bro. This is part of the game. If you are weak, just call, call, And fold if the spot is so obv -EV. ONLY then...This is not the best skill.

Darkray

Darkray

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I advise you to always fold against me, otherwise you will be losing your chips.

H

hudyBRX

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To take the decision of Foldear a premium hand ... it is probably the most difficult skill to master ... see you in a post-flop situation in which your opponent clearly connected a better hand with the community cards ... and having to fold a couple of AA ... it's not easy ...!
:bandit::):):)

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding is a matter of discipline

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've forced myself, to fold the pair of ace an kings was hard, but kept me in the game, patients what I had to learn,

T

TripnBillE

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe in the past. The game has changed quite a bit. I use to only play good hands and would get in the money with that plan. However now, I think its a different game. And, most importantly, I am not that good. lol But i have placed top 5 a few times in guaranteed tourneys.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discarding cards even if they seem good is what a good player should be able to do.

Poma Lekain

Poma Lekain

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Recently I learned a new good phrase: "Pass - saved money." In Russian it sounds smoothly: "Pas - den'gi spas"

T

TongueLashin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When people call it Texas fold em, they are not kidding. It usually works out to fold the best hand a bit cautiously provided you get those chips back in the pot (somehow) when you have the nuts. Let them steal from you. That hand is going to slam shut in cookie jar real soon. Target worst player at table with thin value bets until crippled. That is your ATM. Let them hang around... May the deck be with you! I guess I already commented in this thread, but added more info. Hope it helps!

dom97

dom97

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe so, folding is a key to survival in long tournaments especially on ACR where you have upwards of five hours of late registration.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An important gameplay skill, timely folding is better than a good raise because it shows that you are a poker player who can make informed decisions based on the situation.

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still have a hard time giving up AA, but I'm evolving, with KK or QQ I have a certain ability to fold, and JJ with all due respect I can't believe I have a premium hand with this pair.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker, you need to cultivate the ability to fold your cards, because folding is one of the most important skills in poker.

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, folding is one of the most important areas of poker. However, you do need to be sure that you aren't throwing away too much EV by overfolding and playing too scared. That will not be optimal.

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing when to fold YES for sure

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning to fold took my game to another level,,, :deal: $$$ Having a healthy stack while only playing premium hands is frustrating to opponents,,,then use that tight image to pick up pots. ;)

Folding in Poker