Status
Not open for further replies.
Sardonix

Sardonix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started with nothing won 32 dollars in a freeroll and im up to 300 dollars and i sold 140 dollars of my br in the process to a friend of mine. I play cash games and sng's. Your doing well!!! You need to study more about heads up play, it sounds your more worried about placing then WINNING. I know second is nice but 1st is where the money is at!!!! if your playing $5 sng then were talking ten dollars every sng that you should be taking down. Honestly you should almost never be the first one out in a low limit sng unless you get a bad beat. I dont know if your getting your money in with just top pair top kicker or what but i recommend reading on some strategy or something. Dont give up on cash tables either just read some more strategy and give it a shot here and there because if your uncomfortable playing cash tables that means theres a leak in your game. You as a poker player should be comfortable anywhere you sit not playing afraid and making moves as if you were in a sng. You are winning but only move up when you hit 400$ Good luck

koadyawn

koadyawn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How has your sessions been lately? I remember when I built my BR up to around $200-$300 I hit some sort of plateau and just couldnt move my BR up, i think it may be a psychological thing since im sure this happens to many players. You should consider playing the turbos sngs since its as easy to cash here than wait over an hour to cash. When ever your free I can watch you play and help analyze your game to see if your doing anything wrong.

goodluck!

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember when I built my BR up to around $200-$300 I hit some sort of plateau and just couldnt move my BR up, i think it may be a psychological thing since im sure this happens to many players.

Yeah, Im having the same thing, I cant get above $240, Im always in bettween $190 and $240, its crazy.

Anyway I finished my last exam 2 hours ago, so from now on out for the next 2 weeks Ill be posting regular updates.

Cheers.

thetaxman1

thetaxman1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No money in

I have started my play with one of the 50 dollar freesite. But kept cashing out when I got the chance or busting. After doing that for a while and analyzing the game I came to the conclusion that a good rakeback strategy and building a bankroll was going to be a better strategy. I have been a marginal player so far so this is getting me a better return. Joined a program last month and qualified for a 5 k tourney. Bam Placed fifth for a nice 220 score. Now looking for optimal potential to place in other races and small field free or low cost touneys.

Wish I were a better player but Damn its fun to gamble on some of those Hee Haw hands.:stupido2: :stupido2:

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, well well, I have done really really bad.

Ill let the graph do some talking.

I can say, for every tourney except the last 4-6, I have lost only due to bad beats, and I mean some real bad beats, but the last 5-6 SNGs I have played in, I have went on tilt.

Current BankRoll: $120.00

I cant say that I am worried about my low BR level, as I know I can work my way back up, its just when I moved down to the $2 tables when my BR dropped below $130, no one respected raises at all, so I had donkeys getting runner runners on me, or rivering me.

Im going to take a brake for a day or two, come back with a fresh mind n what not.

Cheers guys, if you have any tips for getting over those bad beats, Im all ears.

S

sn4ke1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nasty

ull get it back np :)

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UPDATE:

Well I have been playing on and off today, no much to say that the graphs doesnt. I was multi tabling - 4 tables at once, and I lost alotta money, so I know I wont be doing that now...

Current BankRoll: $127.57

Slowly but surely moving up, Im sticking with the 18-man $2 tables till I get up to $170 - 180.

My down swing diffinately tough me to do some real BRM, because I never thought Id see the light of day of the infamous $2, I hate them with a passion for some reason.

I do have a problem when playing on the bubble, which could be the reasons why I loose so much, is now I go for glory, not for the money, say I have 8k in chips and were playing on the bubble, and theres a SS with 1800 chips, being in middle position late game, Id Re raise a raise with KK QQ, I know I could wait to get in the money, but I usta always go for glory, and go all in, gettin beaten with AK or some of those real funky hands like K10, or low pairs

So yeah, I mixture of bad beats, and bad decisions got me to were I am now, which ok I guess, probaly had to come down to learn how to get back up.

Things I have learnt so far, dont bluff on $2 tables, I recently learned that the hard way, the fish just dont give up lol, too much heart id say lol. No matter what stakes your playing, always stay focused, its easier said than done.

Anyway, thats it for me for today, will play some more to morrow and post my results towards the evening.

Cheers for looking.

Squidman2005

Squidman2005

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have found that playing the cash games is the best way for me to lose my money. haven't deposited money in a long time. I have decided to stick with the freerolls. I came in second on a UB freeroll (I had a commanding chip lead going into heads up, however, I suck at heads-up and lost). So I am using that money to play 6 player SnG. Hopefully it will work out for me.

R

razzmachine

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
WTG

I like the $2.25 tourney's just starting out. Looks like you're doing that. Might want to specialize in 6 handed or maybe HU. You might even want to get good at a different form of poker. I play razz and find that the least stressful and hold the most edge for me as a player. But keep doing what works for you.

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not bad, can make $50 into a lot. I did a few months ago, started with $50, and about 3 weeks later 2k, cashed it all out.

Jesus - 2k?

What games did you play, ring? SNG?

What was your strategy?

BuggyX

BuggyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started with 15$ in June 08 on pokerstars, wasted some time in freerolls, since a couple of weeks I play the "Double or Nothing" sit & gos (buy in 5,40$, but there is also buy in for 1,15 or 10,80 etc.)on Pokerstars and now im on 120$. I take my time and have fun ...

N

NutZilla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
not bad, can make $50 into a lot. I did a few months ago, started with $50, and about 3 weeks later 2k, cashed it all out.

are u serious :eek: ? details please :deal: !

bestoboth

bestoboth

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stickin' with what ya know!

UPDATE:

Well I have been playing on and off today, no much to say that the graphs doesnt. I was multi tabling - 4 tables at once, and I lost alotta money, so I know I wont be doing that now...

I think it is great that you are keeping track of this stuff. That way you can really keep a good hold on what has been working and what hasn't.

It seems that this is less about making the money, per se, than it is learning what works best for you and learning important lessons so that in future you can clean up!

What I mean by that is that by doing this (keeping track in a bloglike fashion) you can always go back and remember.. OH YEAH that worked! Or CRAP that sucked!

I think, perhaps, that I might be able to learn a lesson or two from this as well. I may have said this before but it seems we have similar issues... LOL I also seem to do well at single table (or small multitable) SnGs, AS LONG AS I CAN REMAIN PATIENT!)

I have said it before but I will say it again... go back to what you KNOW you are good at and reexamine WHY perhaps that is the case...

For me I know I do better with those because of my incredible lack of patience (getting better but still not good LOL). Also, I know that my play suffers if I multi-table with more than 2 or sometimes 3 games at a time... so regardless of how FUN it is (and it really is sometimes) I stick to just 2 now. Of course, I am building up from ZERO... so I am forced into freerolls and the like but it IS building slowly and I look forward to being at those larger buy in tables... but in GOOD TIME!

Just remember, YOU CAN DO IT! You just gotta stick with what you know for a while (perhaps longer than you even think) and make baby steps to other things.

You did right the other day just stopping to clear your head... when your on tilt... man you just gotta let it go an try to chill out, even if that means you gotta leave the tables for a few days... come back with less baggage and clean up!

Can't wait for the next update! GL MAN!

V

vince b

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the cash tables are a just waiting to let all your money be shared but gl with your bakroll dont be scared to put it all on the table when u have to though

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
started with 50 played al ring games, but a few tourny here and htere. Started out playeing in the NL.10-.25c $5(min. buy-in) games, and built my BR up to about $75-80. Then I played in NL .25-.50 buting in at 10(min buy-in), and built that up to around $200. Then I started to play in $1-2 ($20 min buy-in) and built that to about $450-500. Then I started to play in the $1-2 ($40 min buy-in) ran good there for a day or two and built it up to about 1k. I then went over my head, in my opinion (was trying to not buy in for more than 5% of my BR in cash games), and played in $2-4 ($120 min buy-in) and thats where I won just inder 1k in about a half hours work, walked from the table with about 1.200 which brought my BR to just over 2K. Took a lot of time playing and a whole lot aof patience. I played at the 25-50c games for about 2 weeks to get a BR. I tried building my BR to 5% of the next min buy in of the nest higher level. Wouldnt play that way, but I was playing VERY good, and catching big hands for about 3-4 days. Another thing I havbe to mention is that I didnt really get involved in big pots, unless I had a big hand, and didnd receive that many beats or suckouts. I was very agreesive when I thought that someone was on a draw. Dont play over your head, and if you do get a badbeat or something dont play just top get your money back- you will lose it! You just have to suck it up, you play online, therefore will most definetly see more beats. Was up n down early in the process, but I took breaks to get me back onto even tilt. Didnt play many tournys,maybee like 10 (mostly *8* SNGs, and they were all under a $10 buy in, except for 1 where I didnt make the money, and the others were MTT. I would guess that my BR would have been a litle better if I didnt play in the tournys, praoblly cashed in 4.

Doubled $1000 at $2/$4 in 30 minutes without playing in many big pots? Kinda hard to believe...

T

TheDonJassa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome work str8_flush! Really inspiring reading your posts. Unfortunate about the recent downswing, but that's partly why bankroll management is so helpful!

I personally think you should stick to the 18-man $2 sng's until about $250, and then move up to $5 games. This is so that when you do get a bad downswing it doesn't hurt your roll so much.

eg. You have $200 and decide its time to move up and play $5 games. You have an unfortunate few days and lose 10 straight games without a single win! Over the last few days you've lost $55 (this includes the rake), which is more than 25% of your bankroll! Not only does this only leave you with 75% of your roll left, but you're more likely to get worried and scared of losing more, and this will make you play bad.

If on the other hand you stuck with $2 games for a while longer, you would only have lost $22, which is 11% of your bankroll. You're still left with 89% of your roll, and which you can win back in no time because this small dent in your roll won't hurt your mentality.

Remember: Slow and steady wins the race!

ps. I sent you a pm, please reply.

A

aceup21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cash tables

I find it so much quicker to build your bankroll playing
the cash games. the multis are good because you can
earn your initial deposit plus 100X.
Ofcourse with 50 to start off with your only supposed
to risk up to 20% or so

T

TheDonJassa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone here know how to track SNG's in pokertracker like str8_flush has in this thread?

I tried contacting him, but no luck.

S

str8__flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WoW, I havent come back to this thread in a while, for those of you that are interested, I went on holiday to my gran parents house about November, and my brothers played on my fulltilt account and lost my entire BR.

I deposited $24 on stars early Feb, and built it up to $300, the shipped that to AP were I get RB, and Im on ~$900 atm, playing cash games this time, the swings for me at least playing SNGs were to much for me to handle.

Btw, to have your SNGs tracked with PT3, it only works on full tilt I think, otherwise you have to manually input your wins losses in yourself.

Thanks guys for looking, shame I didnt update you guys earlier.

F

Fokyernh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Update Since last post:

Current BankRoll: $131.85

If you havent read my above posts, I play $2 SNGs at FullTilt, and started playing with $50.

ps. At what BR should I move up to $5 SNGs?

Congrats man!
keep it up..
I got a quick Question..
How did you get that graph?
Is that some sort of graph program for poker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management